IT.COM

Need hosting tips about multiple Drupal and / or Wordpress sites

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

brandnow

Selling hotcakesTop Member
Impact
I am planning to develop 15 Drupal (and / or) Wordpress sites over the next three sites. These will not be so-called "minisites" for the purpose of monetizing traffic. Rather these 15 sites will be 'real' web sites with fresh content and perhaps a few sites (I hope) will gain user bases. Several of the sites will be blog type sites and a few will be community type sites. I (hope) that there will be occasional traffic spikes coming from links posted on social media.

Anyways, I currently am on a shared hosting plan with HostGator (paid until mid-2016). However, because I am just planning this development of multiple sites right now. I am not knowledgable about hosting options to know the best way to go about developing so many web sites (15 Drupal and / or Wordpress sites) because I don't think it will work well on shared hosting with HostGator. Perhaps this is obvious, but I don't actually know what I need to develop this many CMS based web sites.

Can you guys please give some tips on hosting to meet my needs? I mean, should I just invest in my own server now to avoid wasting time trying to migrate the sites from HostGator later on? Or can you guys please also suggest web hosting companies that offer reasonable options to meet my needs for multiple Drupal and Wordpress sites running smoothly.

My final concerned about shared hosting (probably should have mentioned this earlier) is that with HostGator my shared hosting package is also shared with many "spammy" sites. I don't think it's good for Google SEO (or anything else) to be hosted on the same server with other spammy sites. But in the past, I have ONLY purchased these kind of affordable shared hosting packages, so again I don't really know what I need.

The sites I am planning to develop will NOT be spammy in any way. They will be filled with fresh and interesting content (is the plan) and will hopefully be driven by organic growth as well as social media accounts driving some interest (but not spamming).

Thanks in advance for your input on what kind of hosting solution I can get for my needs. Hope to get some replies!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
I can't believe how many months I've already procrastinated on starting these development projects just because I've been going back and forth on Drupal v. Wordpress, worrying about my hosting, and other technical concerns. I'm already months behind my schedule. I will definitely check out that article.

•••
You can start with shared, you will not get huge traffic at the beginning anyway, you can upgrade after to VPS wich should be far than enough unless you have more than X XXX visitors per day. If you have a lot of images and get visitors worldwide (far from your servers location), I'd suggest you use a CDN to reduce the load on your server. If you have no knowledge in coding and only want to add content yourself, I think wordpress would be better for you. Dupral is more technical and for programmers. By the way, did you consider Joomla? Imo it's superior to Wordpress, but I am a coder, it might be different for non technical people. One of the big pros of wordpress is it's popularity, there are a lot of free plugins available you can add to customize your website. Also, 15 websites is a lot to manage, imo you will need a team or helpers to achieve that. Just imagine having to add 1 article per website per day, 15 good articles with unique content per day is huge. For the spam, you shouldnt worry about that, I made a research on the same subject before because I was worried about my website. Search engines are smart enough to understand that lot of websites from different owners are on the same server.

•••
I would say that you can be in shared hosting since you are doing it stage by stage there will not be much trouble. You only need bigger hosting plans when your traffic increases tremendously, then by that time you can look for more upgrade options. I don't think since our shared server contains some spam sites that do affects the SEO. I have ranked my websites all of them with shared hosting only. Much higher hosting plans means much expense without return, its better to build out slowly with the revenue its going to make.

•••
If I were you I will start with shared hosting and once I reach quite a good number of visitors, I would upgrade to dedicated server (if I get thousands of visitors per day). Getting huge number of visitors however will take lot of time. I would go for Hostgator hosting as they are cheap compared to other hosting providers.

I'm not sure why you would like to go for Drupal CMS as your every need can be fulfilled in WordPress itself. The Blogs, Forums, Groups, QA, eCommerce everything.

•••
•••
Shared hosting is the past really. VPS at Digitalocean with serverpilot.io. Cheaper than most shared hosting and way faster. $5 a month and you can upgrade your VPS any time without migration etc.

No need to start with shared hosting and jump up to dedicated server, that's what you had to do 10 years ago.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back