NameSilo

question Need Help

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

maxcash

Impact
Hi guys, I just sold a website, but I'm having trouble figuring out how to move on with the transfer... It's my first time!
I hope someone can help me out :)

Should I push the domain to the buyers Namecheap account first, or do I have to provide the website files first and then push the domain?
In whice order?

The second thing is: should I allow the buyer access to my cpanel so he can download the website files or should I do it myself and send him the files? And if I send him the files in a zip, what's the best way to send someone such a big file?
What's the standard procedure?

Thank you!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
If you both have the same hosting you can request help from the hosting company to make the transfer a smooth process. Otherwise the best bet will be to download the files as a zip that you can send him then push domain. Then he can simply upload the files. Even if the hosting company is not able to do it for you they will guide you through the process.

- Will

•••
If you still need help, you can proceed as below. Assuming that you have already received the payment:

There isn't any sequence necessary to proceed with the transfer, you can either transfer the domain first or website files, but transferring the domain first would be good as it might require some additional time to be transferred to the buyer (in case of different domain registrars).

Secondly, do not let the buyer or any other person use your hosting control panel. WINK WINK >>> SECURITY RISK...lol

Thirdly, to transfer big files you can upload them to cloud storage and share the folder link with the buyer. The buyer can then download it directly from cloud.

Hope it was helpful.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back