IT.COM

discuss Need help

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Mohmmed yamin

Impact
As i am new here i need help
1. how much time after buying domain name i can sell it? as i read somewhere that domain name should be at least 60 days old. is it true?
2. what is domain name transfer? what is use of it? and how to transfer domain name?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
Welcome @mohammed yasin . I hope and trust you will find NPs a great place to learn about domains and interact with other domainers.

In answer to your questions...
  1. In most cases there is a 60 day lock on transfer to a new registrar after a new registration or transfer of ownership (or even ownership details). Now you can sell them and they can be used by the new owner, but they cannot transfer them to a new registrar. Let's say I have a domain name registered at Namecheap. You could purchase it and I could push it to your account at Namecheap. From there you could redirect it or set the pointers for your web hosting, but could not, for example, transfer it to your GoDaddy account until the 60 days are up. Some list for sale right away, and some wait 60 days. If you do list you should make this restriction obvious to potential purchasers.
  2. Transfer of a domain name is to move ownership of a domain name from one person to another, including in many cases the registrar where it is registered. In general the current owner unlocks it, gets an authorization code, gives that code to the new owner, who logs into their account and initiates the transfer. Almost always the new owner will be required to pay for an additional year of registration to their registrar, but that time is added to the existing registration. I wrote a guide to the transfer process that answers your question in more detail. It covers both authorization code transfers and pushes.
Bob

•••
As i am new here i need help
1. how much time after buying domain name i can sell it? as i read somewhere that domain name should be at least 60 days old. is it true?
You can sell it on the same day you register it :xf.smile:

The 60 days (from the date of registration) is the time frame when the domain can't be transfered to another registrar. If you do sell the domain during that time period, the buyer has to agree to take delivery at the current registrar - they can't transfer it out to another registrar of their choice (which is what a buyer would usually prefer to do).
2. what is domain name transfer? what is use of it? and how to transfer domain name?
A domain transfer is what moving a domain from one ICANN accredited registrar to another is called. It's tantamount to a renewal for one more year.

Sooner or later, you will also come across a related term: domain push. This refers to moving the domain from one client's account (e.g. yours) to another's (e.g. the buyer's) with the same registrar. This is what you do if you sell a domain wiyhin 60 days of registration, as opposed to transfering it out to another registrar. Pushing the domain (to another account) does not add another year.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back