Dynadot

National non-brand-domain brand marketing trend

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
What the heck is "non-brand-domain" brand marketing?

There is a marketing trend going on with major name brand companies.

Ever see a TV or radio ad or product label for a major brand name but they use a domain name WITHOUT their brand name in there?

For example, have you seen the American Express commercial with the tennis player playing tennis against a PONG opponent? The domain they use is StopPong.com

How about the Chrysler ads with Dr. Z? The domain they use there is AskDrZ.com

And, the recent Icy Hot pad TV ads with Shaq features the domain name FreedomOfMotion.info

I can go on and on. And, actually I have. I have launched a page at my site that features 87 national brands that use "non-brand" domains on some level.

See the list here http://searchdomainsforsale.com/creative-domain-marketing.htm .

If you know of more examples, post them here and I will add to the list.

This is good news for domainers because a national brand just may have their eyes on your "non-brand" domain.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Cool list

Thepowerofdreams.com = Honda - I'm sure I've seen more but can't think of them just now :hehe:

•••
Well they sure don't seem too concerned about long domain names..

•••
I've said it once and will say it again: people don't give enough attention to phrase domains. This isn't new...it's been going on for years now.

•••
Crooky said:
I've said it once and will say it again: people don't give enough attention to phrase domains. This isn't new...it's been going on for years now.

I'm after a very nice phrase domain at snapnames just now - fingers crossed :hehe:

•••
These domain names are disposable domain names. They use for it a while and eventually they'll get rid of it.
I don't know if they are worth much.

•••
This is how we sell some domains to end users - help them see the benefits of having another website. If you could have two billboards instead of one to advertise your product - would you do it?

As Ablaye mentions - many times these are not meant to be permanent, but just for a contest, product launch, or marketing campaign. People can become brand saturated so it is good to mix things up once and a while.

•••
Does anyone know of a list of previous sales for these kind of domains ?

•••
I agree that these domains are attractive, but we're talking about companies that have the $$ to brand pretty much anything and make it a household name. There's so many phrases they could use, I don't see too many of them paying serious dollars for the ones we happen to own. Of course, there will be exceptions where they just have to have it, and those will probably pay off nicely.

•••
I think it's probably more of a way to get marketing data on their various campaigns... It gives them valuable information as far as how many people viewed the site for a particular ad campaign, which shows it's effectiveness to generate leads... They also collect hefty information from people who signup to classify you based on age, income, sex, etc... They may run a few different ad campaigns every year and they can wade through all the data to see which ones were most effective and then design their next campaign in conjunction with the data.

Also it may just be that corporate websites are lame and boring and they know that no one will go to them, so they try to make it cool... I dont know...

But the best one of all time was Burger Kings coqroq.com
and you can see that they are disposable, because that domain now just redirects to the very lame Bk.com site.

Last edited:
•••
FreedomOfMotion.info oh cmon! If anything this is BAD news for domainers. It goes to show that these companies are wise enough not to over pay for domains. Most of these non-brand domains are worthless and they could have used anything. I bet most of these were bought for less than $200 if not reg fee. For crying out loud...it's a .info domain!

•••
These domain names are disposable domain names. They use for it a while and eventually they'll get rid of it.
There's so many phrases they could use, I don't see too many of them paying serious dollars for the ones we happen to own.
It goes to show that these companies are wise enough not to over pay for domains. Most of these non-brand domains are worthless and they could have used anything.
I think the three of you summed it up very well.

•••
Regardless of what they pay for the domains, I think it's good marketing for the domain business overall. TV viewers, magazine readers etc see major brand names using non-brand domains and before you know it, small businesses are registering non-brand domains and buying on the secondary market.

Good for business all around.

•••
•••
here another one - Quotemehappy.com used on TV by Norwich Union for uk insurance.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back