Dynadot

domain Nameworth.com Experiment "90% chance it will sell in 7 Days"

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Status
Not open for further replies.

Is ILLBANK.com going to sell for $1,770 in the next 7 Days ?

ShowMeDomains

Cancer Survivor, domain and crypto enthusiastsTop Member
Impact
I've seen some other people discuss using Nameworth domain appraisal tool as somewhat of a "guide" so a few weeks ago I started a membership.

I really like the look of it and it provides some different categories for appraising the domain.
It also shows other extensions taken and Additional similar Domains as well as Similar active sites and their Alexa/Majestic Rank.

So a couple hrs ago as I was in a drive- thru line waiting on my food I started playing the GD appraisal just seeing if names are available, (surely I'm not the only one that kills time doing that), anyway I found one that I liked. ILLBank(dot)com, It had a GD valuation of $2,165. I registered it.

Nameworth has an Est. Retail Price of $29,500 and puts it into their Tier 2, Super Premium.

Under the Lower Level, Auction Level, it puts the value at $1,770 and says the chances

of selling it for this price to other domain investors in the next 7 days in 90%.

I figured this would be a good one to put this category of theirs to the test.

So, it is now listed on 3 different marketplaces, all at BIN of $1,770 and I am not going to change the pricing or add make an offer until the 7 days are up.

Cast your vote on if I'll sell this hand reg in the next 7 days for $1,770 or not and obviously I will reveal the outcome.
Cheers!
Screenshot_2020-04-21 Domain Name Value and Appraisals - Name Worth Free Instant Services.png

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Love case studies such as this.

Best of luck to you.

Samer

•••
•••
•••
Why don't you start off with the first vote

50/50 shot, much like many things life.

Believe it or not, i too have a vested interest;

Proud ILLASK.com owner! Yours is better :)

Last edited:
•••
Why don't you start off with the first vote

:) 50:50!!

deserve credit for quantified sale odds; first?

remain cautious optimistic, wont count em out, make sure give them needed due props if sell,
cuz pricing my most difficult aspect domaining. Would be so cool.

Samer

Last edited:
•••
50/50 shot, much like many things life.

Believe it or not, i too have a vested interest;

Proud ILLASK.com owner! Yours is better :)
Nice!

•••
Absolutely not.

Do not rely on automated appraisals to make decisions.

•••
Absolutely not.

Do not rely on automated appraisals to make decisions.

I’m not “relying” on anything, it’s an EXPERIMENT..as stated in the title.

•••
No No, If only domain selling did work like a planned and facilitated laboratory experiment (and I mean 'facilitated' by all those that have an interest in you buying their KIT)

This is a Doomed experiment with a diabolical domain that wouldn't pass the starting-gate on a $1 to $10 auction. Time to leave all those so called 'Analytical tools' alone, they are just rubbish designed for fools self-gratification and delusion

Use your own brain, it's a far better tool

Last edited:
•••
10000% it won't sell , and not a great name imo, use these appraisal tool but don't use it without doing your own research.

Last edited:
•••
10000% it won't sell , and not a great name imo, use these appraisal tool but don't use it without doing your own research.
No No, If only domain selling did work like a planned and facilitated laboratory experiment (and I mean 'facilitated' by all those that have an interest in you buying their KIT)

This is a Doomed experiment with a diabolical domain that wouldn't pass the starting-gate on a $1 to $10 auction. Time to leave all those so called 'Analytical tools' alone, they are just rubbish designed for fools self-gratification and delusion

So how do you really feel?

•••

This is just an experiment, read OP again.

Doomed experiment with a diabolical domain.

Seriously?

•••
I vote "Nah".

It appraises highly with Nameworth because a lot of other registered domains contain "illbank" with ill as a suffix to a real keyword, but notice that there are zero actual active websites, and for some reason someone registered this in other extensions. I'm glad Nameworth implemented this feature, similar to ZFbot. I guess it was always based on these calculations, and I assume also search volume to some degree, but now the information used on the backend is more transparent.

As I've been using Nameworth some as well, I see that they miss some of my own names in the similar category. For example, I checked Advrtise dot com that I recently acquired. It did not detect my Advrtisement domain. Probably doesn't pick up on some active websites too, but I still appreciate what I get from it.

Anyway, "ill" is not actually the keyword which was the other domainers' intention when they registered the related names, so I don't really consider them related at all. We must consider ILL is a bad name for a bank as a corporate entity. Maybe you are thinking this has Coronavirus use. Kinda ironic DAN is your lander, since they say no corona names, right (btw I know it's not explicitly for that use).

Appreciate the experiment, but I would recommend adding different names as well.

Last edited:
•••
Appreciate the experiment, but I would recommend adding different names as well.

Agree.

•••
Thanks for your insight.

Yeah, I honestly was looking at it as a
“What they hell its only 8 bucks” after I saw that there is a bank using,
Illinois Bank dot com. as their domain...
I never even thought about anything corona related nor would I go that route.

I Guess that’s just how my “Diabolical”
“Tool” works.
Might try this with some other domains, not purchased with a side of 🍟,
just so some know it alls have another opportunity to make themselves feel special for all to see.

Cheers🍻

•••
It's an "absolutely not" vote from me.

NameWorth is nice as a kind of bonus tool, but I put a lot more stock in my own research and valuations.

I assume you viewed the name as "I'll bank", which sounds cool, but no one is branding with the term. I don't like its chances of selling for more than a few bucks over the next year, but I wish you luck with it.

...just so some know it alls have another opportunity to make themselves feel special for all to see.

Whoa... just be careful with those kinds of comments. You asked for opinions, and people have given them here in a respectful manner. It feels very insincere to be asked to voice a thought and then be insulted for it.

Last edited:
•••
Joe has said in the first part of his comment what I was about to say.....
NameWorth is nice as a kind of bonus tool, but I put a lot more stock in my own research and valuations.

I do like many things about NameWorth. I like that they give you six different valuations, ranging from if you want to liquidate it immediately to an end user comes calling with that domain in his heart. That is how it works in world, the price depends a lot on the buyer, in many cases, as well as the domain name. I also like their recent addition of the demand section - yes you could look that stuff up independently, but nice having it in one place.

But any evaluation tool should be considered a second (or third) opinion. First make up your own mind, then look at the valuations. If you had never looked at NameWorth and I came to you with this name @Makbliss would you honestly have thought it was worth that much in a quick sale? I don't think so. I admit that the arguably similar name illpay went for a good price, but still, I don't buy the end user or quick sell prices for this name.

So while I do like the idea of experiments in general, trying something out, like a new lander or marketplace or something on part of a portfolio, this one I think is doomed to failure (I voted Nah). As someone mentioned, a real experiment should have you do this not just one one name but a number. I suppose various people on NamePros could collectively do some pretty great experiments.

Now if I am somehow wrong, and you sell it for anything even approximately this, I will try to be one of the first to congratulate you and to say I was wrong.

Good luck. Many think you need it on this experiment! :xf.grin:

Bob

PS I do admire your courage to share this public experiment with us all. We learn from things discussed here, even when we disagree.

PPS Interesting the different interpretations. I never actually viewed it as Illinois or I'll but rather Ill in the medical sense, some kind of medical loan was how I saw it! But I'll makes sense.

Last edited:
•••
This is just an experiment, read OP again.

Doomed experiment with a diabolical domain.

Seriously?

Yes, Seriously, I'm sorry to call a spade a Spade and I appreciate that the OP took the effort to portray it in the most serious way possible given all the screenshots etc. But you really are off the rails on this one. Domaining just doesn't work this way even in a thousand to one long shot experiment let alone with a 100,000 to 1. domain.

Honestly you could leave this domain up for sale for 7 years let alone 7 days - I'm still trying to get my head around the whole idea wasn't a wind-up post.

again apologize for calling it as I see it. No offence intended and I wish you the best in your endeavors

Last edited:
•••
I did say, and believe, there is little chance it will sell in 7 days at this price. That said, every day when I look at the top of the NameBio sales list, many names that I simply can't see them selling at the price they went for. The new list is just out, and I looked at names over this price $1700+, and there are at least 5 that not only sold for more than I thought, but I simply would have said there was no chance they would sell anywhere near the price if at all. That is 5 out of about 25, and most days are like that.

So while I said nah, I leave a tiny sliver of door open that maybe I am wrong. In which case I will be happy for @Makbliss :xf.smile:. Still, if I was a betting person, I think odds are against him on this experiment.

Bob

•••
It's an "absolutely not" vote from me.

I assume you viewed the name as "I'll bank", which sounds cool, but no one is branding with the term. I don't like its chances of selling for more than a few bucks over the next year, but I wish you luck with it.

Whoa... just be careful with those kinds of comments. You asked for opinions, and people have given them here in a respectful manner. It feels very insincere to be asked to voice a thought and then be insulted for it.
Joe has said below what I was about to say.....

I do like many things about NameWorth. I like that they give you six different valuations, ranging from if you want to liquidate it immediately to an end user comes calling with that domain in his heart. That is how it works the price depends a lot on the buyer, in many cases. I also like their recent addition of the demand section - yes you could look that stuff up independently, but nice having it in one place.

But any evaluation tool should be considered a second (or third) opinion. First make up your own mind, then look at the valuations. If you had never looked at NameWorth and I came to you with this name @Makbliss would you honestly have thought it was worth that much in a quick sale? I don't think so. I admit that the arguably similar name illpay went for a good price, but still, I don't buy the end user or quick sell prices for this name.

So while I do like the idea of experiments in general, trying something out, like a new lander or marketplace or something on part of a portfolio, this one I think is doomed to failure. Now if I am somehow wrong, and you sell it for anything even approximately this, I will try to be one of the first to congratulate you and to say I was wrong.

Bob
Hey Bob, I totally don’t disagree with anything you said.

I actually agree with everything you said.

I guess I didn’t make my intentions as clear
as I thought I did in my explanation for doing this.
Would I pay that amount for this domain, nope.
I see a ton of discussion on here, especially from new domainers asking about various appraisal services, and if they are any good etc.

So my intention was more along the lines of “taking one for the team”, at $20 something bucks a month to see what kind of value nameworth may or may not provide and 7.99 for this domain, this isn’t something that i financially need to really weigh weather I can justify the money to do.

it I isn’t going to break the “bank”, i guess is what I’m saying.
I’m sure there’s plenty of people that have wondered how accurate all of the “% of selling in x amount of days or years” is, myself included obviously, and their financial situation may be different.

If I did happen to sell this domain within 7 days, at the price their appraisal said, you better believe I’d try to see how accurate that 7 day 90% chance of selling is on a larger scale and share that info with everyone, you just never know unless you try right?
(Totally agree with everyone that said I should have done More domains, non hand regs).
It shouldn’t matter though in my opinion if it’s a 30 min old hand reg or a 20 year old domain that’s been sold multiple times, if an appraiser is asking for money for their services and giving a value of a domain, with a timeline to sell at that price AND the probability of selling it, in that timeline, at that price, I think that should be tested.
And by More than just me and this one domain.

If...their technology turned out to be accurate on even 20-30% of their,
“sell within 7 days” valuation, that’d be a game changer for all domain investors.

What I’d like to see and hopefully will see in the not too distant future is an appraisal service that is powered with AI/machine learning tech, raising the bar so that the overall opinion of online appraisal services becomes better than “they’re all worthless” as most people seem to feel.
#Raising the bar.

Sorry for the novel, always great to hear from you and get your insight Bob.

•••
I did say, and believe, there is little chance it will sell in 7 days at this price. That said, every day when I look at the top of the NameBio sales list, many names that I simply can't see them selling at the price they went for. The new list is just out, and I looked at names over this price $1700+, and there are at least 5 that not only sold for more than I thought, but I simply would have said there was no chance they would sell anywhere near the price if at all. That is 5 out of about 25, and most days are like that.

So while I said nah, I leave a tiny sliver of door open that maybe I am wrong. In which case I will be happy for @Makbliss :xf.smile:. Still, if I was a betting person, I think odds are against him on this experiment.

Bob
I see the same thing daily as well, some of the sales just make you want to pull you hair out.
“So you’re saying there’s a chance”?
(Dumb and dumber movie reference😉)

•••
I'll like to give a public service announcement here. Don't let any service tell you what a domain is worth without applying scrutiny to the results.

In some cases, (like this) NameWorth says "hey, there may be something here" and there are some indicators similar to names that can be priced higher. Then you need to do research to see if it is a brandable or otherwise used term.

After looking at it, I'm not sure why the term is registered in other extensions. But to me, it seems unlikely that a bank will name itself "ill bank" due to the alternative meanings even if the bank is in Illinois, but would a company name itself illbank? Maybe, but not sure.

So right now, NameWorth errs on the side of the domain investor. That clearly makes no sense in this case, and these will be filtered out more and more in the upcoming 2 releases.

But let me ask you one question. Would you rather it err on the side of the domain investor and you get false positives (such as this), or would you rather it err on the side of the buyer and you get values of $70-$1,700 for fluux (dot) com and PlanToGrow (dot) com, which I sold in the last 12 months for $15k & $24.5k? GoDaddy has since upped their price on fluux, but it is still way off and at a detriment to the domain investor.

Keep in mind, I just released this in March of 2019. So NameWorth is barely over 13 months old. Before launching it, I had worked on it for nearly 2 years. So there will be improvements, but in the meantime, look at the results and additional info with scrutiny as you would any investment. If the existing sites don't seem to match up with "ill bank" or "illbank" as some type of brandable name, then don't buy it and you're probably looking at a false positive.

upload_2020-4-21_22-5-2.png

For fluux, which I sold late last year, this is what it shows. You can instantly see it is registered in other main extensions, and there are at least 3-4 products using the same name space. Not a false positive, BUY NOW! :xf.wink:

upload_2020-4-21_22-9-24.png

Last edited:
•••
So right now, NameWorth errs on the side of the domain investor. That clearly makes no sense in this case, and these will be filtered out more and more in the upcoming 2 releases.

But let me ask you one question. Would you rather it err on the side of the domain investor and you get false positives (such as this), or would you rather it err on the side of the buyer and you get values of $70-$1,700 for fluux (dot) com and PlanToGrow (dot) com, which I sold in the last 12 months for $15k & $24.5k?
Very well said. I don't look at any automatic appraisal tool to value my domains, but if I would need to use one, I would go for your web.
Estibot and GD undervalue domains too much. So I prefer an automatic tool that errs on the side of the domain investor. GD 99% of the time errs on the side of the buyer, and also Estibot. They undervalue good domains by -10x, and also value worthless domains saying they are worth $1,000 or $1,900.
GD values everything from 1,500 to 2,500 whatever it is.

Note: I just visited Nameworth.com and I see you request people to register.
I would place if for free without login. Maybe place a limit of appraisals per day, but definitely let the first time visitors play a bit with the appraisal tool, before asking them to register. Just my feedback and my 2 cents :)

Last edited:
•••
I'll like to give a public service announcement here. Don't let any service tell you what a domain is worth without applying scrutiny to the results.

In some cases, (like this) NameWorth says "hey, there may be something here" and there are some indicators similar to names that can be priced higher. Then you need to do research to see if it is a brandable or otherwise used term.

After looking at it, I'm not sure why the term is registered in other extensions. But to me, it seems unlikely that a bank will name itself "ill bank" due to the alternative meanings even if the bank is in Illinois, but would a company name itself illbank? Maybe, but not sure.

But let me ask you one question. Would you rather it err on the side of the domain investor and you get false positives (such as this), or would you rather it err on the side of the buyer and you get values of $70-$1,700 for fluux (dot) com and PlanToGrow (dot) com, which I sold in the last 12 months for $15k & $24.5k? GoDaddy has since upped their price on fluux, but it is still way off and at a detriment to the domain investor.

Keep in mind, I just released this in March of 2019. So NameWorth is barely over 13 months old. Before launching it, I had worked on it for nearly 2 years. So there will be improvements, but in the meantime, look at the results and additional info with scrutiny as you would any investment. If the existing sites don't seem to match up with "ill bank" or "illbank" as some type of brandable name, then don't buy it and you're probably looking at a false positive.

Show attachment 151959

For fluux, which I sold late last year, this is what it shows. You can instantly see it is registered in other main extensions, and there are at least 3-4 products using the same name space. Not a false positive, BUY NOW! :xf.wink:

Show attachment 151962
Thank you for chiming in, this is good, constructive communication.
i.e, working to #RaiseTheBar.

I wish you and your company the best and thank you for continued efforts to further enhance your services for everyone.

•••
Status
Not open for further replies.
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back