Dynadot

Namesilo's pricey terms and conditions

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

LanceSky

Established Member
Impact
I was just reading the terms of use of @namesilo. And I came across this interesting line in the 'general terms and conditions' on their website.

If you contact us alleging that a third party has unauthorized access to your Account or domain names, we may charge you administrative fees, currently set at $100 (US dollars) per hour, for our time spent in relation to the matter, regardless of whether or not we return control over the Account and/or domain name(s) to you. You will indemnify us for any reasonable attorneys' fees and costs we may incur in relation to the matter, even if those fees and costs accrue as a result of defending an action, or responding to a threat of an action, initiated by You or a third party.

One of the main reasons to choose Namesilo is because of their extensive security features. Knowing that you won't lose your domains easily. And a quick search shows their staff has been helpful to Namepros members when it comes to domain and account recovery questions. And they didn't charge those people any money.

But these terms do make me uneasy. If your account gets hacked, then they might start charging the victim for even inquiring about it? Who asks 100 dollars per hour to recover access to your own account and domains? Shouldn't their support just be helping the victim, instead of charging him extra? I imagine they just added these terms "just in case". It might even have been part of a standard contract they adopted. But as a customer who wants to know if he can rely on a business when things go south, it doesn't look very comforting.

I haven't seen similar terms with other major registrars. So I was wondering what you guys make of this.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
We should probably hear from @namesilo about this ...

•••
I imagine they just added these terms "just in case".

Correct, this condition is indeed in there "just in case" any users would try to repeatedly abuse our support team's time with false security issues. We have never charged customers for assistance with security related measures. It was included in our terms from previous management and likely put in there as a last resort.

Last edited:
•••
Correct, this condition is indeed in there "just in case" any users would try to repeatedly abuse our support team's time with false security issues. We have never charged customers for assistance with security related measures. It was included in our terms from previous management and likely put in there as a last resort.
Thanks for clarifying the purpose of the article and clearing up the confusion. It's good to hear you haven't charged any customers based on this article. This does take away my concerns.

It would have been ideal if the article itself clarified its intended use as well. Because once in a blue moon people do read the terms and conditions and wonder the same thing. But it's good to know that normal customers have nothing to worry about.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back