NamesCon Founder, Richard Lau [Video]

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Whizzbang

VIP Member
ParkLogic.com
Impact
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Great interview. Thanks for the post

•••
[QUOTE="Whizzbang, post: 5774102, member: 4628"]He also discusses the beginnings of the first NamesCon and where the huge domain investor conference is headed into the future.[/QUOTE]

NamesCon. Such an appropriate name. Here, read this: https://namescon2015.sched.org/speaker/Adam.Dicker

Gee, such a wonderful enterprise, that NamesCon. Imagine that, featuring Adam Dicker. These are the people holding themselves up as industry experts? Thanks for the education, if you know what I mean.

A reminder to the lemmings out there: If you still need more documented history that illustrates how we've been taken for a ride by industry muckety-mucks, then I cannot help you. It's all out there, lots of evidence that: A) A group of self-proclaimed industry experts aren't any smarter or knowledgeable than the rest of us, or: B) That same group of self-proclaimed industry experts are in it for the sole reason to separate speculators and dreamers from their money.

With all due respect "Whizzbang," you insult us by heralding and holding in high esteem any individual or entity who helped perpetuate the Adam Dicker game plan. Congratulations, you've made the list.

•••
[QUOTE="Whizzbang, post: 5774102, member: 4628"]He also discusses the beginnings of the first NamesCon and where the huge domain investor conference is headed into the future.

NamesCon. Such an appropriate name. Here, read this: https://namescon2015.sched.org/speaker/Adam.Dicker

Gee, such a wonderful enterprise, that NamesCon. Imagine that, featuring Adam Dicker. These are the people holding themselves up as industry experts? Thanks for the education, if you know what I mean.

A reminder to the lemmings out there: If you still need more documented history that illustrates how we've been taken for a ride by industry muckety-mucks, then I cannot help you. It's all out there, lots of evidence that: A) A group of self-proclaimed industry experts aren't any smarter or knowledgeable than the rest of us, or: B) That same group of self-proclaimed industry experts are in it for the sole reason to separate speculators and dreamers from their money.

With all due respect "Whizzbang," you insult us by heralding and holding in high esteem any individual or entity who helped perpetuate the Adam Dicker game plan. Congratulations, you've made the list.[/QUOTE]
I'm really sorry you feel this way.
I find that the vast majority of attendees at NamesCon are good upright people who are trying to make a living like the rest of us. I also find that in every conversation there is an opportunity to learn more about the creative ways that people are generating revenue from domains.
In any industry there will be the odd bad apple that eventually gets found out. It's actually through meeting people and "breaking bread" with them that you can often step around some of the unscrupulous people. I don't mind listening to the "self-proclaimed experts" as what they say more often than not warns me what not to do! :)
I personally look at a persons fruit not just what they say. In other words, have they been in the industry for a long-time and are they clearly successful....don't every just listen to their words.

•••
[/QUOTE]I personally look at a persons fruit not just what they say. In other words, have they been in the industry for a long-time and are they clearly successful....don't every just listen to their words.[/QUOTE]

You would have also thought Adam Dicker was "clearly successful." The lemmings did.

Do you know what the #1 creator of wealth is in the USA? Inheritance. Real estate is #2.

If you are a carpet salesman, and appear to be wealthy, that doesn't mean you made your money selling carpets.

My point is that those individuals and entities that cozied up to Adam Dicker, including DNJournal.com, Namescon, and others, had lots of documented, public record available to them showing that Dicker had real serious issues. In fact many of us out here in unimportantland were beating the drums for justice years ago. The insiders and "experts" weren't. On the contrary, they were holding Dicker in high esteem. If you want proof and documentation, let me know. I've posted it here ad-nauseum, but you may have missed it. You want to contribute to Namescon after they held Dicker in high esteem in 2015 by having him speak at their convention? That's your business. I personally don't. If you do, good for you. Good luck with your judgement.

•••
Actually no I didn't think Adam was really successful in his different business ventures. It only took a couple of seconds to realise that he had way to many businesses that were supposedly doing impossible revenue numbers. He was very successful in purchasing some premium domains though. My suggestion to anyone agrieved by his actions would be to get appropriate legal advice and then follow through on it. Otherwise, call it a business lesson and move on....there's nothing worse when bitterness grabs hold of a person who just can't move on from a particular situation.

Ron Jackson from DNJournal is one of the most honourable men I know. Please don't disparage his good name because he's written articles on people. The articles don't mean Ron is a bad person.....it just means he's written articles.

A conference the size of NamesCon will have literally hundreds of speakers over the years. Later on it will be found out there are some people in the mix that aren't up to scratch. This doesn't make the conference bad....it means an individual has not done the right thing by people in the industry. My guess is they are vetting their speakers a lot more closely now though.....

One last point, please don't call the masses lemmings....To call them lemmings is derogatory and suggests they are stupid. They may be uneducated in many aspects of domains but each of those people are trying to earn money to put food on the table. On the whole I find many new comers to the domain industry hungry for knowledge, refreshing to talk to and eager to move ahead with their new business.

For the past 9 years I've been trying to educate people on domains via my blog (whizzbangsblog.com). Do I have all of the answers? Heck no! I'm trying to do my best so let's all contribute to the positive discussion about domains and move on from individuals we may personally have been hurt by.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back