IT.COM

Names disappearing from NameJet

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Kris Moell

Impact
I have been following a few names that have been in the Pre-Release category with NameJet. The two names in question have not had any bids, even though they have been of descent quality. I did a whois check just after they were added to the list, and noted down the original owners.

I have been checking back on NameJet a few times a day to see if they have had any bids. In both cases here, the names were taken off the list just a few hours before the closing time. The domains have then suddenly got an updated whois that includes BuyDomains.com as the new owner.

In addition to this, the domains are now listed for sale with a fixed price on NameJet!

What is happening here? These two occasions are only the two most recent in my experience, as this has happened before.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
Same thing happened to me just now !

•••
Interesting. Well there are different ways of doing business...

•••
•••
i believe "pre-release", also includes names that domainers have listed for sale.

so maybe they got deals at last minute

•••
i believe "pre-release", also includes names that domainers have listed for sale.

so maybe they got deals at last minute

I think PR is for domains that are entering pending delete status.

But anyways, why does it always have to be BuyDomains as the new owner ?

•••
•••
We are talking about domains with no reserve and 0 bids. Most probably they could get them for $69.

•••
BuyDomains.com is not the new owner. They are the current owner, that lets domains in their portfolio enter pre-release at NJ, and then renews the domains just before the pre-release order cutoff time.

When they renew the names, they probably show as for sale at namejet immediately after because buydomains has a domain name syndication deal with NameJet.com (just like the afternic premium network).

Here are some names that, at the time of this post, have 0 bids, are in pre-release status at NameJet right now (with about 10h left before the end of their pre-release status), and these are also listed on BuyDomains.com right now and are using their nameservers:

Dysign.com - BuyDomains.com price: $4,088
Rafus.com - BuyDomains.com price: $1,088
MagicCake.com - BuyDomains.com price $3,088
RealiTech.com - BuyDomains.com price: $4388
InspiringInnovation.com - BuyDomains.com price: $3,988

It's a waste of time to follow and place an order for such names in the last minute, because BuyDomains will renew them, and they will move over to "wishlist" status at NameJet.

•••
BuyDomains.com is not the new owner. They are the current owner, that lets domains in their portfolio enter pre-release at NJ, and then renews the domains just before the pre-release order cutoff time.

Looks like you're right, although OP said the former owner was not BuyDomains.

•••

When they renew the names, they probably show as for sale at namejet immediately after because buydomains has a domain name syndication deal with NameJet.com (just like the afternic premium network).

Here are some names that, at the time of this post, have 0 bids, are in pre-release status at NameJet right now (with about 10h left before the end of their pre-release status), and these are also listed on BuyDomains.com right now and are using their nameservers:

Dysign.com - BuyDomains.com price: $4,088
Rafus.com - BuyDomains.com price: $1,088
MagicCake.com - BuyDomains.com price $3,088
RealiTech.com - BuyDomains.com price: $4388
InspiringInnovation.com - BuyDomains.com price: $3,988

It's a waste of time to follow and place an order for such names in the last minute, because BuyDomains will renew them, and they will move over to "wishlist" status at NameJet.

This would sound reasonable if the whois remained the same before and after the renewal. In several cases I have seen the name going from what appears to be a private person / entity directly to BuyDomains.com.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back