NameSilo

status-resolved namepros has been taken over ..

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Status
Not open for further replies.

frank-germany

domainer since 2001 / musicianTop Member
Impact
upload_2019-11-18_8-41-41.png

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
lmao .. what are you talking about?

Bob and Rob write such short tiny puny posts! lol
@Bob Hawkes @Rob Monster

Seriously .. I don't always agree with either (nor most people 100% of the time), but the more people who actually participate in online forums while actually fully debating, discussing and exploring possibilities, the better it is for everyone.

Most people just write one or two sentences .. which isn't the end of the world, but the whole point of forums is to dig deep and explore ideas and possibilities that you and/or others haven't considered yet. Often times one person says something that will trigger a similar idea in someone else .. it's called evolution of ideas .. development .. progress.

I know it can be intimidating to jump into conversations at times .. but people still learn even when people post things other people disagree with. In fact .. one could argue we can sometimes learn even more by considering opposing views.

In most cases the community learns more when we explore the "Why", and not the "What".

I honestly don't care how many people started how many discussions .. as long as they all (or mostly .. lol) lead to quality discussions where at least some people (hopefully including myself) learn something new .. even if it's simply to understand and appreciate/respect points-of-views and opinions that are different from our own.

I'd much rather have an in-depth discussion with someone I disagree with, but who has taken the time to research, understand and respect both sides of the debate, rather than just hang out with people who all agree on the same thing but don't explore or dig deeper into a topic.
Tongue in cheek humor should be short and sweet :xf.wink:

•••

A few things, that's where blog posts go in domain industry news, number 2 I got nothing to sell you, 3 the mods can close my account or delete posts anytime they like, I could care less.

And for today popular I see

nameprostoday.jpg

Last edited:
•••
A few things, that's where blog posts go in domain industry news, number 2 I got nothing to sell you, 3 the mods can close my account or delete posts anytime they like, I could care less.

And for today popular I see

Show attachment 136232

True. It wasn't meant in a negative way! Just to show there are others with a lot of topics.

Personally I couldn't care less how many topics people start or get involved in. As long as they contain valuable content like yours and Rob's (albeit different in nature) I can only appreciate that!

•••
The worst sales pitch I've ever seen @ NP was from the .Best Registry ... ruthless ... and newbies ... who think air is money, monkey is fruit ... they just stay in the line ... and registering and registering ... imo

•••
What I don´t understand: What is the problem?

There is a Section "Popular this month". It is ranked by replies or by Likes, I even don´t know. Whatever, it is ranked by the acceptance and participation of all Namepros members. And the ranking cannot be manipulated by the thread OP to rise I assume.

The member participation may be approving or disapproving. Both kinds of posts account for an uprise of threads in the ranking section. Additionally, threads like this one which claim to be critical do only one thing: they guarantee more users´ interest in the criticized item and secure those top rankings because more users are attracted to look into them and participate.

So let´s just suppose that allegations against Rob are relevant and let´s suppose that Rob is even more clever than we think he would have engaged Frank to stage a continuing show of enmity. Schizo Bullshit? Of course, what else. But this fantastic thought just develops the current situation.

If I imagine this forum without the contributions of Rob, Frank, Raymond and Bob, just for example, this forum would be no more than a marketplace. An attractive marketplace for sure, but nothing else. So why not let it be.

•••
@Mod Team Bravo, this might sound self-serving but if you want to have a better weighting of thread relevance, add the weighting of likes and thanks to get an indication of popularity. At present, you can drive up view count with a bunch of folks just posting their name pitches endlessly in a thread but the content value can be extremely low. This is an indication of activity but not of popularity or utility.

Sounds good in theory .. but the problem is that there are also self-inflating "like groups" as well .. go into the Meet and Greet section .. there are some who give "Likes" to the same people even if they post just one or two words .. but at the same time those same people don't give likes to people who actually engage or help the newcomer. It's pretty funny how obvious it is actually! lol

I spend hours behind my daily auction lists that I share here at NamePros .. yet only get 0-2 likes per post on average out of well over 100 views, yet people get 6-7 likes for literally posting one word ... "welcome"! I'd say I don't care .. but the truth is that some people, particularly new members, could certainly see "likes" as credibility .. which is why I feel @NamePros should set a minimum character count in some sections before a post can be "liked" .. or better yet .. turn off likes in all sections that aren't focused specifically on domains.

Can't say too much about that as I'm now on the Like leader board myself! lol .. Although I still want to see a character count leader board! Make it happen @NamePros !!! :)

@Ategy.com for showing us that longer can be better
That's what she... ummm .. never mind! lol

•••
@Mod Team Bravo ... I know it'll make it more complicated to moderate .. but it's just that sometimes I feel threads are too aggressively moved to the review section. Particuarly when it comes to things so broad like GoDaddy auctions where it literally affects more than 50% of domainers. Or even more when the registrar or service in question is discussed , but more as an example .. but because only that one example was given, the discussion is moved as a "review", even if it was not the intention.

It wouldn't be so bad if moving the thread didn't mean the discussion effectively loses 80% of it's steam and almost no new people enter the conversation.

What I used to do in my old forum was leave the ones that truly merited global attention .. then after the topic naturally started slowing down I'd move it yet still leave a forward/redirect so it still showed in the index of the original forum .. then I'd cleanup/delete the redirect after the topic dropped off the 1st or 2nd page.

Again .. I appreciate the fact NP is huge and that judging which should stay and which shouldn't could be a challenge .. but that's where it helps having moderators who actually participate very actively in the forums. Sometimes at NP it feels like moderation is more police-like than it is leadership-like.

I often times find myself wanting to write about something that is related to something that happened at a particular registrar, but with the focus of my intended discussion to be more about the issue/incident in question as opposed to the particular registrar or domain service .. but I just don't post those anymore because I know they will be moved and effectively mostly collect dust. (Thinking about it now, I don't even know where the review section is from the home page .. although I do admit I probably could find it quick if I wanted to)

Again .. I appreciate it's not easy .. but just mentioning it here because we're talking about threads being moved ...

•••
Well Rob and Bob are both active posters that contribute Almarri needs to come to senses and realise he is basing his prices on scam offers not on sales histories.
Yeah that dude Almari is living on lalaland, dont know when he will get out of that dream.😓

•••
•••
Yeah that dude Almari is living on lalaland, dont know when he will get out of that dream.😓
Agreed .company guy at $3 million starting options needs to stop the flooding.

It’s become a waste of bandwidth. Like nobody here is going to pay millions for a dot .company, you can buy your own extension for a fraction of that.

•••
Last edited:
•••
I'd much rather have an in-depth discussion with someone I disagree with, but who has taken the time to research, understand and respect both sides of the debate, rather than just hang out with people who all agree on the same thing but don't explore or dig deeper into a topic.
I agree so much with this.

I am not so much opposed to how many threads people start or contribute to, as the quality of the discussion and the points being made. I do value those who say clever, insightful things in a few words, but that is not always possible.

The situation which I most object to is when there is a thread with some inflammatory click bait title (like scam, fraud, lies, etc.). Then there are a bunch of people jumping on it to oppose it. Which is sensible, but the way posts move up is when people post replies, so then it moves up and other more meaningful threads don't make it to the highlighted ones and don't get seen.

Anyway, this comment is not about Rob's posts at all, but more a general concern re which ones get highlighted on the right hand border.

BTW can someone talk to that Bob H guy? I mean using words like hyphen in a title is so click baity :xf.cool: - perturbs me!

Bob

•••
•••
information
is only valuable
when it's good

when it's obviously a sales pitch
the greatness is always questionable
( like being bullish on orgs )

I'm bullish on green gum frogs
( no I'm not )

but even if..
I'm not selling green gum frogs to you
in case you are now bullish, too.
(for a steep discount of course)

to find the blog posts you have to search for them

in order to find the sales pitches
you can't avoid them
they'll find you

•••
There is a Section "Popular this month". It is ranked by replies or by Likes, I even don´t know. Whatever, it is ranked by the acceptance and participation of all Namepros members. And the ranking cannot be manipulated by the thread OP to rise I assume.

LMAOROTF .. actually .. it's by replies ... so in a way @frank-germany .. with the way you post 4-5 posts in a row at least once or twice on every single page of @Rob Monster's threads ... it's actually you who is most responsible more than anyone else for putting his threads on the leader board .. lol .. it's your own fault .. and then you come here to complain about it here! lol x 100000000

*DYING of laughter .. someone please be sure to come feed Steamie after I'm gone*

•••
I can see you didn't mean it to be funny, but I found it funny that a person would leave an entire community because of something in a sidebar. That the mere small box on the right side of the screen and the notion that a political thread existed was enough to cause them to not come back to such a resource I find comical.

•••
Hi

just like to say, for the record

it's not personal against Rob. it's business
as long as there is compliance, then I don't have any issues

if I follow the posting rules as stated in the forums TOS, then I expect everyone else to abide accordingly.
that's being professional first, and respectful, second.

it's like having manners when you go to somebody else's house.
you show respect for those that are there, in attendance.

to me, it's the principle and in principle, it, the rules, should be adhered to.

I think some are letting their admiration, blind them to such principles and ethics.

as long as they are getting fed a steady diet of this and that, which engages their mind to think within the parameters set forth by the messenger... then they are content, with the content.

but they are failing to see the promotional context, which is the intent of delivery.

in an ideal situation, members should moderate themselves..
however, it's good to see staff speak to this issue and hope they can provide clarity and guidance, as needed.

again, it's not personal, it's business.

imo...

•••
it's just that sometimes I feel threads are too aggressively moved to the review section. Particuarly when it comes to things so broad like GoDaddy auctions where it literally affects more than 50% of domainers.
All threads about a specific person or company are considered Reviews to us and moved there accordingly, when they come to our attention.

Threads may lose attention in the Reviews section when they are not domain-specific discussions. Otherwise, those threads still appear under Domain Name Discussion, the Overview, New Posts, etc. if they're categorized properly.

What I used to do in my old forum was leave the ones that truly merited global attention .. then after the topic naturally started slowing down I'd move it yet still leave a forward/redirect so it still showed in the index of the original forum .. then I'd cleanup/delete the redirect after the topic dropped off the 1st or 2nd page.
We do that sometimes, but mostly as a result of it not coming to our attention for a few days or weeks. Or being too busy to get to it for a few days. These are low priority matters.

I often times find myself wanting to write about something that is related to something that happened at a particular registrar, but with the focus of my intended discussion to be more about the issue/incident in question as opposed to the particular registrar or domain service .. but I just don't post those anymore because I know they will be moved and effectively mostly collect dust.
Don't mention the company name and it won't be moved. Easy. :)

Thinking about it now, I don't even know where the review section is from the home page .. although I do admit I probably could find it quick if I wanted to
Visit the home page, type Ctrl+F, and then type "Reviews" without the quotes.

Especially about the old friend that left NP because he could see the side bar
It's worth noting that if you decrease the size of your browser window, the sidebar will appear at the very bottom of the page below everything else and be out of sight for the most part. Cc @equity78

•••
you all are right:

meanwhile
a huge grain of humo(u) r is indeed needed

•••
Almari will be here in 4 3 2 1 ......
In his defence he made some good dot company sales but he can't base his pricing on offers that are not real. I think he will delay any immediate reply as there is nothing to reply to.

•••
100% agreed

but if the research was done
with the main focus on
how to have as many views/replies

the main purpose of advertising
becomes obvious

and a discussion mutates into an unpaid promotion

Frank - I disagree.

This is not promotional:

https://www.namepros.com/threads/turning-lemons-into-lemonade.1161776

That is just life advice. People tried to move it into the Promotional category, but instead it ended in the break room. I know it helped a bunch of people.

And this one has too:

https://www.namepros.com/threads/personal-productivity-megathread.1155735/

It would be awesome if more people engaged and shared their knowledge, wisdom and professional techniques. We could make the pie bigger. And that would be very cool.

People can provide for themselves, provide for their families, provide for their community, and have the opportunity to contemplate the meaning of life. Why does this terrify you so much?

•••
We are in communication with Rob about this and working with him (just like we do all other members that have done this in the past, including you Frank) to help him learn the rules and post within the expectations of the community.

I may have been in the wrong department with my posts..
and I may have been rude or un-appropriate with one or two posts

and I apologize
if that has hurt anybody's feelings

but I'm not spitting threads out

in order to cover
the front page of the forum

and continue to do so
over and over
in order to get domainers to move into my service

Last edited:
•••
The worst sales pitch I've ever seen @ NP was from the .Best Registry ... ruthless ... and newbies ... who think air is money, monkey is fruit ... they just stay in the line ... and registering and registering ... imo

100% agreed

•••
... @Ategy.com is prolific among others.

I'm not prolific .. it's the rest of you 999,999 NamePros members who are too vague and imprecise! It's like you're all afraid of words or something! lol

@Mod Team Echo @Mod Team Bravo @Mod Team Alfa @Mod Team Foxtrot .. where are we on a membership leaderboard based on character count and/or % of database content? I'm curious if I'm over or under 10x the person in second place!? lol

I still find it funny that NamePros literally had to change post size limits because of me! lol

you are welcome @Ategy.com but this is my thread

Unless it's a lists, marketplace or welcome thread, then all threads pretty much belong to everybody .. AS LONG AS THEY MAINLY STAY ON TOPIC! (You're allowed to make a rare random post a little off topic .. as long as it's a good joke .. lol)

If @Rob Monster starts or participates in a topic about escrow services, then it's perfectly on topic for him to discuss Epik's escrow service ... not only is that OK .. but I think it's great that as domainers we can get a registrar's perspective.

The biggest problem here is that there aren't more registrars participating in the various discussions throughout NamePros .. it's actually pretty sad .. I think most find @Rob Monster out of place because he is in a way .. in that he's the only one posting from a registrar's perspective .. but if you ask me that's not his fault .. if anything we should be blaming all the other registrars for not participating enough! :-/

Last edited:
•••
Status
Not open for further replies.
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back