IT.COM

Namejet is 'Not Secure'

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Seems like the SSL certificate of Namejet.com has expired. Since Namejet is handling financial transactions, it came to me as shock how they didn't renew the SSL before expire.

Such small aspects of a company or website shows how dedicated they are in maintaining a quality or reputation.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Seems like the SSL certificate of Namejet.com has expired. Since Namejet is handling financial transactions, it came to me as shock how they didn't renew the SSL before expire.

Such small aspects of a company or website shows how dedicated they are in maintaining a quality or reputation.

There are a lot of factors involved with an ssl certificate and sometimes there are things beyond your control such as dns propagation that will cause a certificate to behave erratically for a spell.

Having hundreds of domains using ssl certificates I have to continuously manage expirations and old certificates that somehow do not get erased by cpanel.

That said ssl is only needed for pages containing forms and login data.

Last edited:
•••
I think that they have an SSL security on login pages + sensitive data pages (you can check it here: https://www.namejet.com/Pages/Login.aspx? ), however, they do not have SSL on their entire website. Their SSL is not active on the home page, listing pages, faq pages etc.

•••
What does ssl mean: it prevents sniffing when data is transferred. It is a must when sending critical data. It is signed by a few companies belonging to big brother, and they have backdoors, so they can view data as usual. You can create your own certificate and it can be safer than those bbssl's but then their browsers and search engines will blame your site as unsafe. You can use self-signed certs for your own use, but for doing business on internet you need to surrender to bb first. Does expired ssl mean unsecure. I don't know. If you create your own cert, it will be safe forever, unless some extremely powerful computers are invented. Correct this if wrong.

•••
Namejet SSL cert. is valid, expires June 2019.

When you access your account dashboard you will notice that the pages are secure.
There is other factors to consider such as website performance when deciding when to use ssl or not.
So, SSL is used for login, account dashboard, payment page etc, not used in some cases for homepage / domain list page etc

ssl cert.png

Last edited:
•••
Thanks all for your valuable inputs.

If Google Chrome displays "Not Secure" when someone visits your business website, it obviously isn't an achievement..!!

I do not come across much reputed sites these days which are still using HTTP.

Last edited:
•••
Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back