NameSilo

NameCult.com - Best Closeout Domains

Labeled as expiring | expired in Expired Domains and Expiring Domains, started by Ategy.com, Aug 9, 2018

Replies:
Views:

1. Brian L.

Brian L. Top Contributor VIP ICA Member

User's Time:
    7:42 PM
    Miss your posts. Hope everything is okay.

The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
  2. Ategy

Ategy Arif M, NameCult.com TheDomainSocial.com VIP ICA Member Gold Account

User's Time:
    10:42 PM

Hi guys. yes everything is ok. I have taken a bit of an extended break. To be perfectly honest, I've been focusing on a few things, many outside domains, but also have taken some time to work on my own portfolio, as well as producing the weekly sessions of The Domain Social (http://TheDomainSocial.com).
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbW5sUR0Fnbf03pkgtbJWNw

More importantly, doing the lists every single day for the last 2 years with the exception of a PC crash, my condo flooding, and producing the world's first virtual domain conference (The Domain Show, not the same as The Domain Social .. lol) has been a TON of work and very very tiring. It's also been a drain because my PC just hasn't been powerful enough to take the abuse of all my excel calculations needed to make the lists semi-efficiently.

On top of that, of the hundreds of people who view my posts here on NamePros almost nobody even takes 3 seconds to click "Thanks" or "Like" (with the exception of @wwwulff , @Natto who have consistently shown their appreciation and a few others who do so semi-regularly). Don't take this the wrong way, but I find it weird getting multiple private messages from people here on NamePros asking me if I'll be bringing the lists back, when they almost never bothered to even click "Thanks". Clicking thanks when you use someone's list not only is the polite thing to do, but it also lets us know that people are indeed using our lists.

If you look at my main Auction List where I got 300-400+ views per day here at NamePros, in the last 40 before I took my break, I received a TOTAL of 2 "thanks" ... that's 2 thanks out of over 12,000 views! Honestly tell me if you would feel inspired to continue. If it weren't for @wwwulff and @Natto, it would be pretty much the same in this Closeout thread.
    https://www.namepros.com/threads/namecult-com-best-auction-domains.1006428/page-55

Finally, while my lists have never been only about making money (I didn't even have affiliate links for the first year I was doing the lists), GoDaddy has stopped paying me on time and have now routinely been paying their commissions to me a month late. That's compounded with the fact that I know a significant number of commissions due to me aren't even tracked properly and I'm getting far less than I'm supposed to be.

Even with the VIP, I've given access to the VIP list for free to anyone who wants it as long as they semi-regularly send me their GD order numbers from when they used my affiliate links (this is important to me so I can track if I'm getting commissions on sales I'm sending them .. because it turns out many are missing). But again, of the many people I've given VIP, it's the same small portion who email me their order numbers.

So at the end of the day, I found myself giving so much to both the community and GoDaddy, and frankly, with the exception of a tiny number of people who I am truly appreciative of, there really wasn't much reason for me to continue to burn myself out in continuing the lists day in and day out.

The break has been good just in terms of a MUCH needed rest. I'm getting to the end of my big portfolio cleanup. Producing The Domain Social has also become a little more of a routine and a little less time-consuming. I probably will get back to going through the lists at least for myself in the next few days. Whether I then do the extra work to produce and share the lists here and/or at NameCult I'm still not 100% .. I've had a few people advice me to take the list private .. I'm still not entirely sure .. I'll post back here when I have a clearer picture. Best would be to subscribe to this and my main auction list thread and I'll be sure to post something when I've made a final decision .. as of now, it's still technically "a break" .. If this post gets 50 "thanks" or something like that, then maybe I'll reconsider a little faster .. lol.
    https://www.namepros.com/threads/namecult-com-best-auction-domains.1006428

3. Mister Funsky

Mister Funsky Top Contributor VIP

User's Time:
    I did not realize you were on a break as I've had to step away from the Godaddy auctions for a short time (been picking up far too many lately).

I've always made sure to use your links when I spot a name on your list(s) so you could make a little on the transaction. Possibly people are not using the 'like' in the event someone is watching what they do...meaning they might not want a potential competitor finding their name source. :xf.smile:

At any rate, taking a break can always be a positive thing...recharge batteries, get new prospective, etc. Just wanted you to know that I, for one, would miss your lists!

4. Brian L.

Brian L. Top Contributor VIP ICA Member

User's Time:
    7:42 PM
    Glad to hear you’re okay and on to bigger and better things. I’ve been loving your lists the last couple months, but there isn’t any point continuing if it’s stressing you out and not bringing in any revenue. I wish you the best of luck with all your future endeavors!

5. scithe

scithe Upgraded Member Gold Account ★★★★★★★★★★

User's Time:
    I used the website a few times last year but I am not a full time domainer. I never thought thanks/likes mattered as much as clicking affiliate links which I did do a couple of times.

6. Samer

Samer Top Contributor VIP

User's Time:
    @Ategy hasnt been on in a while. i miss him.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2021
  7. Haroon Basha

Haroon Basha IZUQ.COM VIP Gold Account

User's Time:
    5:42 AM
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2021
  8. scithe

scithe Upgraded Member Gold Account ★★★★★★★★★★

User's Time:
    My bad, I didn't look at how old the post was. But either way, I assume he'll eventually be back and might appreciate knowing someone else used his list at least 10 different days.

9. DomainFQ.com

DomainFQ.com ReinsuranceNews.com

User's Time:
    8:12 AM
  10. DomainRecap

DomainRecap Top Contributor VIP

User's Time:
    I am pretty sure he became tired of doing all this work for free, and decided to do something else with his valuable time.

No one is doing this to get rich (if you are, stop now!) and anyone who does compile expired domain lists enjoys the task to some degree, but a little money here and there does help with site costs and hosting, as well as coding or upgrades, so when no one is clicking on affiliate links, why put in the extra effort?

If you like the expired lists, use them, and would like them to continue, please click the affiliate links. It's as simple as that.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2021

Want to reply or ask your own question?

It only takes a minute to sign up – and it's free!
biix
  1. NamePros uses cookies and similar technologies. By using this site, you are agreeing to our privacy policy, terms, and use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice