Domain Empire

Namecheap hacked!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

webhostware

Established Member
Impact
This is not a spoof mail i got mail on every email(nmecheap account created)
1676239502712.png
1676239476938.png

Attachments

• sshot-2.png
    sshot-2.png
    124.9 KB · Views: 75
  • sshot-3.png
    sshot-3.png
    136.9 KB · Views: 73
  • 1676239270628.png
    1676239270628.png
    274.2 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Uh I got couple names with them…

•••
yea, i just got a spam email from namecheap that says i have a DHL package waiting for pickup.

•••
•••
•••
Bad news! hope our payment info are really safe.

•••
I just checked now, my domain names and datas are safe. No untoward incident happened while browsing.

Here is an email received from NameCheap:

Update on recent unsolicited phishing emails

Dear K.J.Haroon,

We are writing to inform you of a recent issue with our email system.

Our investigation has revealed that an upstream (third party) system that we use to send emails has been impacted. This caused unauthorized emails being sent on our behalf. We have immediately suspended the sending of emails until the issue is resolved.

We would like to assure you that Namecheap’s own systems were not breached and your products, accounts and personal information remain secure.

We kindly request that you ignore these emails and do not click on any links contained within them. Our team is currently working closely with the upstream provider to investigate the root cause.

We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience or confusion this may have caused and thank you for your understanding and patience as we work to resolve the issue. We will update this post as soon as we have further information.

Sincerely,
Richard Kirkendall
CEO

Last edited:
•••
The strange thing for me is why a multi billion company uses MailChimp instead of their own email server?!

Last edited:
•••
•••
•••
Wow, this is really disturbing

•••
Got the same as everyone else. Very concerning for sure, I have been doing my business solely with NameCheap for a few years now.

Should this be time to switch to another company?

•••
Got the same as everyone else. Very concerning for sure, I have been doing my business solely with NameCheap for a few years now.

Should this be time to switch to another company?
Nah, you're fine.

Looks like MailChimp been hacked or something though.

•••
The strange thing for me is why a multi billion company uses MailChimp instead of their own email server?!

It's not strange at all. Email handling is not as you might think.

Most companies, even large ones are NOT managing their own email servers. The times for that have longed passed.

Ensuring deliverability is no longer feasible unless you're a significant company in the field and have a foot in the door so you can call the Google mail team boss on their phone directly and say "Hey John, our mails are now blocked by Gmail, could you fix that for me please". I just made this up but you'll understand.

It's a waste of time and money to do it unless this is your core business and you're a significant mail provider.

Note, we have been managing our own emails since early 2000's. Currently we use a mix of our own servers + recognized cloud providers for the aforementioned reasons. Our own MX servers are used when receiving email is priority (not deliverability) such as inbound sales email; as cloud-based like Gmail, MXRoute and whatnot (all of them, basically) still block a LOT of valid emails. (Edit: hence the case for using one of these when deliverability is priority)

For cases where outbound direction is more important (such as transactional emails for example) we use external cloud mail providers, some of the recognized ones.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back