NameSilo

NameCheap - Are they full of it...

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
I had a name enter the redemption period and contacted NC to see what the cost was to get it back. I was told that the fee was $200 but it wasnt them charging this fee to me.

I replied back stating that GD charges like half that and that most registrars charge much less, even eNom which is more or less NC charges like $160

I asked them why they charge $200 if its not them setting the rate and their reply was, we dont know and cant say. I would think that they would want to know if indeed they are paying a higher fee for this then say GD.

I think they are full of it... they do know but dont want to say.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Wow, thats wierd. And definitely not a way to have returning customers.

•••
I've had nothing but good service from Namecheap, however I do agree; $200 is a little steep for a reactivation fee.

•••
I too have never had any problems with NC

Does anyone know for a fact who sets these reactivation fees, is it the registrar themselves or ICANN?

Like I said above NC claims that its not them and more or less implies that they dont see any of this $.

Last edited:
•••
I imagine ICANN must have some involvement, and they would have to pay their dues to the registry, but if GoDaddy can do it cheaper then NameCheap should not be tightwads, they should be trying to retain and expand their best customer area, the domaining community.

Josh.

•••
As far as I know, NC is still a reseller of Enom. I would guess Enom charges them $160, and they tack on the extra $40 to handle it. I've heard of fees of up to $250 for redemption. I feel your pain, but it still could be less than competing on club drop, pool, or snapnames to get it back if it's ultimately worth more than that.

•••
Are you not notified within 30,60,90 days of your domain expiring. If so, that should be plenty of time to make up your mind if you want to renew or not. Please do not take offense to this, but if you are given notice upon you domain expiring, it's no fault but your own if your name goes into redemption. You really have to watch your expiry dates. Especially on the domains you want to keep.

•••
http://www.icann.org/bucharest/redemption-topic.htm

SmokeAndMirrors said:
Each Registry Agreement requires ICANN's consent for fees for new registry services. Under this proposal, registries may be permitted to charge (in addition to ordinary charges for registration term extensions) a cost-based fee as mutually agreed between each registry and ICANN for “restoring” names (including costs related to compliance with, and monitoring of, the transparency requirements outlined above).

supplemental:
http://www.icann.org/carthage/afilias-rgp-topic.htm
http://www.icann.org/registrars/redemption-supplement-20feb02.htm
http://www.icann.org/carthage/afilias-rgp-topic.htm (.info = $40 )
Heck, ya'll can read for the rest ;)
http://gsa.icann.org/search?q=redem...oxystylesheet=icann&output=xml_no_dtd&x=0&y=0

-Allan :gl:

•••
I can't go into much detail as my story is too long to type out right now, but in my experience NameCheaps email customer service leaves a lot to be desired. Very lazy and they don't mind telling little fibs to influence you to keep your names with them. They only get (slightly) motivated when you get pissed off.

•••
I agree.. Unless you're in some sort of coma or suffer some kind of similar, yet not so serious life crisis, theres really no excuse for not renewing your domains beforehand. You're given tons of warnings and if your own neglect causes you to have to pay a premium to keep the domain, you've got no one to blame but yourself. Alot of places offer autorenew as well.

Chalk it up as a $200 lesson...

•••
NC never ever answer any emails I send them.. their service is worst than bad... it's disgusting

•••
theres really no excuse for not renewing your domains beforehand.
I had a domain that got maybe one click for two cents the whole year I had it, so I let it expire. While in the redemption period, I got an offer for $300. Paid $87 (I think) to get it back and made $200 on the deal. You just never know.

•••
My post has nothing to do with me losing my name due to it expiring, thats life. My post was about how NC said they didnt have control over this fee, that it wasnt them charging it to me and why they charge twice as much for the same service vs GD

If they dont set the fee then in reality the fee should/would be the same at all registrars or atleast you would think.

From what I've read from the links posted, thanks Allan, they do indeed set the fee thus making their email reply to me BS, in conclusion NC is full of it...

•••
I think the registrar should be clear to his customers and display all the prices for all phases

For example some registrars don't mention the renewal price (which is of course higher than new registrations or transfers)

So they should mention : registration, transfer, renewal and redemption fees

namecheap still using enom's services so they abide to their rules (plus their profit too)

•••
You may find that enom have a custom pricing structure set up for namecheap as they are now their biggest customer since registerfly became accredited.

I cant see namecheap continuing as a reseller for much longer -- wouldn't be surprised to see them become accredited in the new year.

•••
rmwebs said:
I cant see namecheap continuing as a reseller for much longer -- wouldn't be surprised to see them become accredited in the new year.

Two thoughts on that one:

1) Registerfly's split from enom didn't go well, and they might see that as indication enough that it's too much trouble to be worth it.

2) Registerfly's split from enom didn't go well, so NameCheap thinks that they have learned from RF's mistakes and can do it right the second time 'round.

Likely?

Nah - they're making money, methinks they'd rather just be bought out/absorbed by enom like bulkregister, etc.

-Allan

•••
IAmAllanShore said:
1) Registerfly's split from enom didn't go well, and they might see that as indication enough that it's too much trouble to be worth it.

2) Registerfly's split from enom didn't go well, so NameCheap thinks that they have learned from RF's mistakes and can do it right the second time 'round.

I believe Registerfly had some customer service issues before they did the split and were probably either giving Enom a bad name and some liability issues on the back end. I haven't heard the same type horror stories with Namecheap, so I'd assume the relationship is probably better between them and enom. Registerfly was also doing some registry stuff on their own for a long time like new.net.

I would hope...No expect... that namecheap could do a split a whole lot better if they wanted to. However, they don't seem to offer sales at less than their apparent cost, so I expect they are actually making money as a reseller.

I know if I were going to start an accredited registry and split from a reseller agreement, I would not try to co-mingle things in the same accounts like Registerfly did. I think I'd start fresh and offer incentives to customers to move over instead of force it like RF did. If people trust you they will move with you if you ask and make it worthwhile for them.

•••
Tippy said:
My post has nothing to do with me losing my name due to it expiring, thats life. My post was about how NC said they didnt have control over this fee, that it wasnt them charging it to me and why they charge twice as much for the same service vs GD

Try looking at it this angle.

Registrars, like any other business, have every right to make money. Getting a
domain name out of redemption is one way.

Namecheap is currently an Enom reseller as one of the other members posted.
What the registrar partner "dictates", the reseller has no choice but to follow.

It's a nice idea that registrars out to charge the same fee for redemption. But
that's our fantasy, and one registrars don't have to adopt if it doesn't meet
their business models in reality.

You don't want Namecheap making money off redemption, then renew all and
any of your domain names or set to autorenew with them before they expire.
Sounds simple enough for a relatively simple problem, and you have options.

What many of you don't realize is that redemption is an optional process. No
where does it state in ICANN's policies that registrars have to do it.

Now if you still see Namecheap is "full of it", then transfer your domain names
somewhere else.

•••
Again, missed my point, NameCheap said they dont set this price and it wasnt them charging me, it was ICANN, so ya they are full of it, in other words they lied to try and justify the high price.

•••
I feel for you Tippy.
You asked a simple question anf made a simple statement, yet people come and post about why you lost your name etc...etc... and how it could have been avoided.

Anyhow....
I agree with you, $200 is too steep and it looks like they lied to you.

•••
Tippy said:
Again, missed my point, NameCheap said they dont set this price and it wasnt them charging me, it was ICANN, so ya they are full of it, in other words they lied to try and justify the high price.

I had heard a similar story about registerfly charging $200 for redemption because enom charged them that amount. Maybe they are both telling the truth, or maybe that is their dictated fee as a reseller. On the other hand, maybe they just both tack on $40 to what enom charges as a reseller and the customer service people just don't know. If not a gTLD, the fee might be covered in a separate ccTLD reg agreeement document as well.

Enom's agreement does have two places they cover similar fees Their Redemption Grace period fee is $160, but if their is a credit card payment issued and it expires, they have a fee of $200.

BTW, Actually I think the Registry gets a part of the fee, maybe $80 or so and ICANN might get a small piece of that $80. Lots of hands out when it comes to something like this. I think they learned these tactics from the banks and credit card companies.

CREDIT CARD AND OTHER CHARGES: If you have an issue with credit card charges, you should contact your Primary Service Provider (if any), first, and us, secondarily, regarding the issue before you contact your credit card company to request a charge back or reversal of the charges. In the event of a charge back by a credit card company (or similar action by another payment provider allowed by us) in connection with your payment of fees for any Service(s), you agree that we and/or your Primary Service Provider may suspend access to any and all accounts you have with us and/or your Primary Service Provider and that all rights to and interest in and use of any domain name registration(s) services, website hosting, and/or email services, including all data hosted on our systems and/or on the systems of your Primary Service Provider shall be assumed by us or your Primary Service Provider, as the case may be. We will reinstate your rights to and control over these Services solely at our discretion, and subject to our receipt of the unpaid fee(s) and our then-current reinstatement fee, currently set at $200(US Dollars). Reinstatement of Service(s) by your Primary Service Provider may be according to the terms, if any, between you and your Primary Service Provider relating to reinstatement. Charges for the Service(s) which use our credit card payment processor will be identified on your credit card statement as "Domain Name Registration." We are not responsible for how charges appear on your credit card statement when the transaction is processed by your Primary Service Provider's or another third party's credit card payment processor.
In the case of (i), above, you acknowledge that certain registry administrators may provide procedures by which discontinued domain name registration services may nonetheless be renewed. You acknowledge and agree that we may, but are not obligated to, participate in this process, typically called the "Redemption Grace Period" ("RGP"). You acknowledge that we, for any reason and in our sole discretion, may choose not to participate in the RGP process with respect to any or all of your domain name registration services and that we shall not be liable therefore. If available, RGP typically ends between 30 and 42 days after the end of the reactivation period of the domain name services, as the reactivation period applied to you. The typical RGP fee is $160 plus any registration fees. You agree that we are not obliged to contact you to alert you that the domain name registration services are being discontinued.

Whether they lied or are just missinformed, It usually isn't a fee they negotiate on. They may actually be quoting you the wrong fee as above. Also notice the RGP fee says "typical". I wonder why they use that word. You might try going above basic support to an account rep if you do a lot of business there though.

•••
Tippy said:
Again, missed my point

Indeed I have, my bad.

I also forgot to mention 2 things:

1. This is the reality of the business of reselling, private labeling, or whatever
you want to call it. For the most part, resellers can't and don't want people to
know whom they're reselling for.

2. You can PM enetwork about this since he runs Namecheap. Perhaps he can
take it up with the one who gave you that response.

•••
Tippy said:
I had a name enter the redemption period and contacted NC to see what the cost was to get it back. I was told that the fee was $200 but it wasnt them charging this fee to me.

I replied back stating that GD charges like half that and that most registrars charge much less, even eNom which is more or less NC charges like $160

I asked them why they charge $200 if its not them setting the rate and their reply was, we dont know and cant say. I would think that they would want to know if indeed they are paying a higher fee for this then say GD.

I think they are full of it... they do know but dont want to say.

Hello Tippy,

Most of that fee comes from enom. I'm not sure why our tech wouldn't want to explain this to you. If you P.M. the details of the tech who helped you I can look into this further for you. I will also give you the redemption at our costs.

Ukguy,

We would never purposely ignore our clients. It is possible that the email communication between you and us was being filtered. We added a new help desk a couple weeks ago and we've seen these type of complaints drop. You may want to try and send another request via the form on our site if it is still necessary. If not you may also PM me here and I can be sure to help you out with whatever you need.

IamAllanShore,

That would be option number 2. Actually we already own an ICANN accredited registrar and are working on the backend which is almost done. We will then integrate that with NameCheap. It will work seemlessly with both enom and the new registrar and our clients will not be able to see any difference from their control panel. Our clients will then either have the option to move to the new registrar as a transfer for a lesser fee or stay the course and renew. We will not be forcing renewals as transfers. Both will be under the NameCheap.com brand regardless.

Last edited:
•••
enetwork said:
... Our clients will then either have the option to move to the new registrar as a transfer for a lesser fee or stay the course and renew. We will not be forcing renewals as transfers. Both will be under the NameCheap.com brand regardless.

Smart move. I applaud you!
:tu:

•••
That's indeed a nice option

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back