Dynadot

Namebio sales report

NameSilo
Watch

Saeid Nejati

AllMetaverse.coTop Member
Impact
Hello NP

As a buyer namebio.com sales report may be good for pricing guide.
As a seller namebio.com sales report may not be good as it report the cost to buyers.
I contacted them to delete some of my domains sale report which I bought from their database but it seems they are not responsible for individuals as the real owner of domains. The only thing is important to them is that they created a sale report platform to attract more watchers to their advertisement I think.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
We have a strict policy against removing sales from our database unless we find out that they didn't actually complete. There are a number of reasons for this policy.

The most important one is that people link to sale reports from a variety of places such as Flippa listings, outbound sales emails, forum posts, etc. to use as comparable sales, so if the records they referenced suddenly disappear without notice it makes them and us look bad.

Another is that if users notice sales getting removed, a lot of people will start asking for us to do that and it will hurt the database. Finally, it takes a great deal of time to remove a sale, it is not only removing it from the database, but also finding and editing the corresponding Daily Market Report including the stats in the intro paragraph like the total number of sales, total dollar amount, and average sale price.

And at the end of the day it doesn't even really help because people re-publish our sales reports on places like NamePros, their own blogs, and more. Once it is out there it is pretty much impossible to erase all traces of it. If you want your purchases to be private, don't buy from public auctions that anyone can watch. That should be fairly obvious.

In our experience it is very rare for an end user buyer to find the sale report in the first place, and even if they do it doesn't really matter. Your price is your price and if they want the domain they have to pay it. Most people understand you're in this to make a profit anyway. People like Frank Schilling who ask for many, many multiple of what they paid on places like NameJet don't even ask for their purchases to be removed, and they still manage big flips.

•••
I didn't request that you delete all of your database suddenly. It is the right of the auction winner who will be the owner of that domain accept or decline to show his/her domain purchase cost to others. Please just know about this right and please ask the owner first that if he/she is satisfied with showing his/her purchase cost to public. I know there are so many owners that aren't satisfied with your reports.
YOU HAVE TO ASK OF OWNERS FIRST.
I sent an email to this address : [email protected] which belongs to Mr. Adam Strong, CEO of namebio as it has shown in namebio contact list but up to this time I haven't received any reply from him yet.
I WANT YOU TO BE MORE RESPONSIBLE.

•••
Adam probably assumed that I was copied on the email and didn't look at it. He handles business development as it says on the Contact page, not these kind of requests, so you should have either emailed me or filled out the contact form so both of us receive it. Sorry this was missed, but he would have told you the same thing as I told you here.

We don't have to ask the buyer and seller first. There's no publicly identifiable information about you on our site such as your name, address, phone number, etc. so there are no applicable privacy laws. And when you participate in a public auction there is no expectation of privacy as far as what was paid. It would be ridiculous to expect us to email between 400 and 900 people per day (we usually add 200 - 450 sales per day and there are two parties to each transaction) asking for permission to include the sale.

Many venues such as Sedo, NameJet, Bido, 4.CN, etc. report sales to the public... this is a standard practice and they don't have to ask your permission to include the domain sale in the list. Sedo even makes you pay if you want the sale to be private and not included in their reporting, last I checked it was 2.5% of the total transaction amount which is a lot.

Yes, we get a couple requests per month from people who want their sales/purchases removed from the database. Most of them aren't as angry as you are and understand why we won't remove them. There will always be people who want to know what other people paid, but don't want anyone to know what they paid themselves... happy to take but not to give.

Again, like I said, if you don't want people to know what was paid then don't buy in public where everyone can see. We don't remove sales, not even when our close friends ask us, and not even for ourselves.

•••
Every trader can deal in any market in this world. Those auctions aren't public as you make it public. I am not angry as you imagined. Now you replied me because you saw that I post a related thread about you and it may hurt your benefits a bit otherwise you won't reply my email forever.

•••
You can think whatever you want. I told you why your email likely wasn't replied to, although I can't speak for Adam. Whenever someone emails me or uses the contact form asking to have a sale removed, I always reply. At some point I'll just write an article or add a FAQ so I can point people there and save time. Just so you know, on the internet using all caps means you're yelling.

Regarding your statement that every trader can deal in any market in this world without the auctions being public, I'm not really clear what you're saying. If there are auctions happening in public that aren't reported online, it is probably because nobody cares to have the data. If you think that isn't the case, perhaps you should start a new business to track it.

Many markets are tracked. Let me give you a close example, residential real estate. When an individual buys a house in the US the sale is a matter of public record and anyone can find the price that was paid online. Same with stocks, the prices paid are recorded publicly. That's how markets are made.

•••
The auctions was held among some bidders only and they are not public after winning the auction till you report it on your site forever.
Yes it would be ridiculous to expect you to email between 400 and 900 people per day because you don't care about others' rights.THE OWNERS HAS THE RIGHT TO DECIDE ABOUT THEIR ASSETS. Please understand this simple phrase.
A good and successful company are those ones which care about their clients rights.

•••
I didn't request that you delete all of your database suddenly. It is the right of the auction winner who will be the owner of that domain accept or decline to show his/her domain purchase cost to others. Please just know about this right and please ask the owner first that if he/she is satisfied with showing his/her purchase cost to public. I know there are so many owners that aren't satisfied with your reports.
I sent an email to this address : [email protected] which belongs to Mr. Adam Strong, CEO of namebio as it has shown in namebio contact list but up to this time I haven't received any reply from him yet.
I WANT YOU TO BE MORE RESPONSIBLE.

It's public domain.

It's like you bought some weed in the schoolyard from "Johnny SellsDope", and Ralph saw you.

Everyone knows Johnny sells dope, and if you were seen with Johnny, he must've sold you some dope.

Ralph already saw you. Ralph's gonna tell Ashley, Stacey, Andrew, and his mom. You can't stop Ralph.

The best thing you can do is own up to the fact that you smoke dope. The next best thing you can do, is ask Johnny to meet you in a better place next time (Private Sale/Non-Disclosure Agreement!).

Ralph (Namebio) holds no responsibility towards you, your actions, or the consequences thereof.

•••
The auctions was held among some bidders only and they are not public after winning the auction till you report it on your site forever.
Yes it would be ridiculous to expect you to email between 400 and 900 people per day because you don't care about others' rights.THE OWNERS HAS THE RIGHT TO DECIDE ABOUT THEIR ASSETS. Please understand this simple phrase.
A good and successful company are those ones which care about their clients rights.

You're not even their "client". :xf.confused:

•••
I respect people's rights, but their actual rights as defined by applicable law, not rights they made up because they want to have them. There is no expectation of privacy in a public transaction, that we record them or not doesn't change that they happened in public and are fair game. I wish people didn't know what I paid for my house, but it's out there, and I understand why so I don't sweat it.

If you actually had a right not to have the price you paid in public recorded, then Sedo wouldn't be able to charge you to keep it private, and the companies I mentioned in an earlier post wouldn't be able to report those sales publicly either. But they do, because you don't actually have that right even though you wish that you did. I can't make it any clearer than that, if you don't want to understand I can't help you.

I'm not going to engage in this discussion any more because it is going nowhere and you won't listen. Why do you think nobody is "liking" your posts or saying they agree after almost a week? Because they know if you buy in public then it isn't going to be a secret what you paid.

•••
@Michael - You guys doing a great job. Very helpful and very important in this business. Thanks and keep going.

•••
@saeidnejati
...you realize that everyone's now looking at all of your postings trying to find your noteworthy trades!

•••
This may be a little off topic, but as long as Namebio is here, online now, I have a request.

I think your service is great, the best of it's kind on the net, but as a domainer I find that when searching for the retail values for domains, I tend to concentrate only on the markets that mostly sell to end users - Sedo, Buy Domains, Afternic for example.

I realize that the other marketplaces also sell to end users, and the above listed markets also sell to domainers, however the ones listed above seem to have the most sales to end users compared to the others.

So here is my request. When doing a search to find what will be the closest and most accurate retail value for a domain I tend to repeat the search for a given keyword individually for each marketplace that mostly targets end users.

It would be easier if there were a button or some way to select just certain market places when doing a search instead of having to run the search individually for each one.

Do you think you would consider adjusting your interface for us domainers so we can select multiple market places in the drop down, so we can search all at once?

•••
It's public domain.

It's like you bought some weed in the schoolyard from "Johnny SellsDope", and Ralph saw you.

Everyone knows Johnny sells dope, and if you were seen with Johnny, he must've sold you some dope.

Ralph already saw you. Ralph's gonna tell Ashley, Stacey, Andrew, and his mom. You can't stop Ralph.

The best thing you can do is own up to the fact that you smoke dope. The next best thing you can do, is ask Johnny to meet you in a better place next time (Private Sale/Non-Disclosure Agreement!).

Ralph (Namebio) holds no responsibility towards you, your actions, or the consequences thereof.
Thank you for your attention to this discussion. Please consider that public auctions are different from internet auction which the participants aren't well known to each others. The bidders know each other only by their usernames and not by their real names and real entity.
Sometimes bidders see other bidders as "Bidder 1" like in Godaddy auction.

•••
@Michael - You guys doing a great job. Very helpful and very important in this business. Thanks and keep going.

Thanks!

This may be a little off topic, but as long as Namebio is here, online now, I have a request.

I think your service is great, the best of it's kind on the net, but as a domainer I find that when searching for the retail values for domains, I tend to concentrate only on the markets that mostly sell to end users - Sedo, Buy Domains, Afternic for example.

I realize that the other marketplaces also sell to end users, and the above listed markets also sell to domainers, however the ones listed above seem to have the most sales to end users compared to the others.

So here is my request. When doing a search to find what will be the closest and most accurate retail value for a domain I tend to repeat the search for a given keyword individually for each marketplace that mostly targets end users.

It would be easier if there were a button or some way to select just certain market places when doing a search instead of having to run the search individually for each one.

Do you think you would consider adjusting your interface for us domainers so we can select multiple market places in the drop down, so we can search all at once?

Good idea, I'll see if I can make the Venue filter a multi-select without having to modify the search code too drastically. Shouldn't be a problem, I'll let you know. The quickest and dirtiest way to find the retail sales is sort by price descending after running the search though. Thanks for the kind words!

Thank you for your attention to this discussion. Please consider that public auctions are different from internet auction which the participants aren't well known to each others. The bidders know each other only by their usernames and not by their real names and real entity.
Sometimes bidders see other bidders as "Bidder 1" like in Godaddy auction

You're grasping at straws now. Because you don't know the other bidders who are participating doesn't mean we don't have a right to record the price in a public auction. And to be clear, by public I mean anyone on the planet can watch the auction - not that everyone is on a first name basis with all other bidders and watchers.

•••
Thanks!

Good idea, I'll see if I can make the Venue filter a multi-select without having to modify the search code too drastically. Shouldn't be a problem, I'll let you know. The quickest and dirtiest way to find the retail sales is sort by price descending after running the search though. Thanks for the kind words!

You're grasping at straws now. Because you don't know the other bidders who are participating doesn't mean we don't have a right to record the price in a public auction. And to be clear, by public I mean anyone on the planet can watch the auction - not that everyone is on a first name basis with all other bidders and watchers.
Everyone on this planet can watch the auction but in reality only some visitors will see it as it is clear on each auction page. Only 600 - 1000 visitors can see it and after that they forget about those names in future. But you keep them in your site forever as a related sale

•••
Everyone on this planet can watch the auction but in reality only some visitors will see it as it is clear on each auction page. Only 600 - 1000 visitors can see it and after that they forget about those names in future. But you keep them in your site forever as a related sale
Technology is a beautiful thing, isn't it? Now you don't have to memorize every auction you see, and you can refer back to our site when you need help pricing a domain. Plus you don't have to spend your entire day, every day, with a dozen browser windows open to know what is going on in the market.

•••
The quickest and dirtiest way to find the retail sales is sort by price descending after running the search though.

Yes, thanks, I already do that.

Also, as a developer myself, I think your coders should have no problem implementing the multi select in the interface. If you could swing it that would be fantastic, thanks.

Please post here and let us know if you were able to do it.

Keep up the good work, and many thanks for providing a great service for free.

•••
Technology is a beautiful thing, isn't it? Now you don't have to memorize every auction you see, and you can refer back to our site when you need help pricing a domain. Plus you don't have to spend your entire day, every day, with a dozen browser windows open to know what is going on in the market.
Of course it is. But consider that internet and virtual auctions are different from real ones which held between persons.
I didn't expect that namebio.com staffs or CEO come to here and defends their policy. I wanted to discuss about name sales report among other Namepros members and I wanted to know about their opinions. It is obvious that most of domainers don't want to fight with namebio staffs here as they may not be beneficial for them.

•••
Yes, thanks, I already do that.

Also, as a developer myself, I think your coders should have no problem implementing the multi select in the interface. If you could swing it that would be fantastic, thanks.

Please post here and let us know if you were able to do it.

Keep up the good work, and many thanks for providing a great service for free.
You're right, wasn't that bad. The Venue filter is now a multi-select, let me know if you notice any problems. Thanks for the suggestion!

•••
It is the right of the auction winner who will be the owner of that domain accept or decline to show his/her domain purchase cost to others. Please just know about this right and please ask the owner first that if he/she is satisfied with showing his/her purchase cost to public. I know there are so many owners that aren't satisfied with your reports.

Hi

when you participate in an auction or purchase a domain from any venue or forum, that purchase/sale price is subject to be published or be re-posted by the seller or other domainers who know of it.

unless any of those platforms has a privacy clause that is automatic or can be enabled prior to the transaction, then you have no recourse, other than conducting private sales and including "Non Disclosure Agreements" with whom you do business with.

you can ask, but namebio is under no obligation to remove it.

imo....

•••
Hi

when you participate in an auction or purchase a domain from any venue or forum, that purchase/sale price is subject to be published or be re-posted by the seller or other domainers who know of it.

unless any of those platforms has a privacy clause that is automatic or can be enabled prior to the transaction, then you have no recourse, other than conducting private sales and including "Non Disclosure Agreements" with whom you do business with.

you can ask, but namebio is under no obligation to remove it.

imo....
Hi,
Thank you for your valuable information as this is a friendly discussion and I know about the non disclosure rules.

•••
Of course it is. But consider that internet and virtual auctions are different from real ones which held between persons.
I didn't expect that namebio.com staffs or CEO come to here and defends their policy. I wanted to discuss about name sales report among other Namepros members and I wanted to know about their opinions. It is obvious that most of domainers don't want to fight with namebio staffs here as they may not be beneficial for them.
I'm just a regular NamePros member, I'm not on the forum as a company representative. I was a member here for eight years before I even joined NameBio.

I'm sorry if you think I've influenced the discussion, but given that you don't know me I should tell you that I'm not an important person in this industry and I would be shocked if anyone was intimidated enough by me to not speak their mind. And I certainly wouldn't retaliate against anyone who disagreed with me, you included, but I would definitely argue :)

This thread was open for five days before I posted and nobody jumped in. But if you're going to mention our company name, and say that we're only in it for the advertising dollars, I have to say something. You weren't just asking an innocent question about whether or not sale reports hurt your prospects of re-sale, you were calling us out.

NameBio has always been free to use, and for the first eight years it made practically no money or operated at a loss. When I joined I was looking at getting half of jack squat, a very tempting offer to spend months of my time re-doing the site from scratch. Nobody who has been involved in NameBio for nearly the past decade has been doing it for the money, we do it because we think it is important and we love data.

•••
I'm just a regular NamePros member, I'm not on the forum as a company representative. I was a member here for eight years before I even joined NameBio.

I'm sorry if you think I've influenced the discussion, but given that you don't know me I should tell you that I'm not an important person in this industry and I would be shocked if anyone was intimidated enough by me to not speak their mind. And I certainly wouldn't retaliate against anyone who disagreed with me, you included, but I would definitely argue :)

This thread was open for five days before I posted and nobody jumped in. But if you're going to mention our company name, and say that we're only in it for the advertising dollars, I have to say something. You weren't just asking an innocent question about whether or not sale reports hurt your prospects of re-sale, you were calling us out.

NameBio has always been free to use, and for the first eight years it made practically no money. When I joined I was looking at getting half of jack squat, a very tempting offer to spend months of my time re-doing the site from scratch. Nobody who has been involved in NameBio for nearly the past decade has been doing it for the money, we do it because we think it is important and we love data.
I really appreciate your works and trying. As I know other members who aren't satisfied with these sales report then I wanted to ask other namepros members that if there are any opinion about that. This is a friendly discussion and thank you for your attention to this poor thread

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back