IT.COM

My sister is starting a business with a domain that is urgh!?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

NickB

it's a mysteryTop Member
Impact
Hi

I have been talking to my sister this week as she has just started to finalise her business plan for a Social Enterprise. It will be helping people who are suffering from suicidal thoughts due to abuse, addiction etc etc - she finished all her relevant qualifications a few years ago and I think she has a great idea and has a realistic plan in place to achieve her goals

The problem is the bloody domain name she has chosen! 2 years ago she registered suicaid.com (play on suicide + aid) with half a view on this project, today she went and registered the .org (suicaid.org)

We have had a heated discussion and I offered one of my domains for free - BestMind.org she said it was no good and preferred her one....

When she first told me the name I asked her how to spell it, she stumbled over it and we got there eventually. I tried talking to her about the radio test, brandability (or lack thereof) etc etc recommended she ring some friends and ask them how they would spell but she would not budge! She thinks she has the best name for her....

This got me thinking how many other people out there must be starting their own businesses, fall in love with their own names and do not listen to reason or common sense.....

On a side note, I did tell her not to register with Godaddy but she went ahead and did it anyway.........being pig headed obviously is a family characteristic :xf.wink:

What do think on suicaid?

Comment and I can share this thread with her........

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
well when i search the keyword suicaid the suicide hotline pops rite up, and when i put in bestmind mapping comes up. She might have something there.

•••
Reminds me of Medicaid. Suicaid isn't a word that conveys any meaning unless you already know what it refers to. She could clearly find a better term.

I agree with you, brother!

•••
well when i search the keyword suicaid the suicide hotline pops rite up, and when i put in bestmind mapping comes up. She might have something there.
Great look up! Will point this out to her.....

It is a misspelling of suicide so those results will show up, my problem here would be that suicide.org is a developed site, so it is going to be very awkward to say the least competing against the well known, correct spelling competitor.

•••
Reminds me of Medicaid. Suicaid isn't a word that conveys any meaning unless you already know what it refers to. She could clearly find a better term.

I agree with you, brother!
Thanks! We are in the UK as well so anything that correlates or reminds people of a U.S government health site won't be any good.....

•••
First of all your sister should be commended for wanting and starting to help people with mental health issues. Suicide is not talked about enough and most will be surprised to know that its the biggest cause of death for males under the age of 40.

Having said that...

For some people that have experienced it, just the word suicide can be as scary as hell which is why I don't think a play on the word is a good idea for the name. The name should be something that gives hope and reassurance to those that need it and not a reminder of what they're trying to avoid.

•••
First of all your sister should be commended for wanting and starting to help people with mental health issues. Suicide is not talked about enough and most will be surprised to know that its the biggest cause of death for males under the age of 40.

Having said that...

For some people that have experienced it, just the word suicide can be as scary as hell which is why I don't think a play on the word is a good idea for the name. The name should be something that gives hope and reassurance to those that need it and not a reminder of what they're trying to avoid.
Your first sentence sums up my feelings perfectly!

Really good point on the play of words and how it could come across to those affected by it......Thanks

•••
The only problem with suicaid is the C. It turns into k sound from s sound in suicide.

Suiciaid is visually less attractive but do sound right.

•••
The only problem with suicaid is the C. It turns into k sound from s sound in suicide.

Suiciaid is visually less attractive but do sound right.
exactly - it sounds like suic-aid to me when I try saying it it out loud and suiciaid just looks really awkward

•••
By the way, suggest to her to come up with something along the lines of

You matter
Life is precious
Etc

•••
i think @D Haynes is rite on this. You should be wanting them to think away from the word, especially if they are headed that way.

•••
My feeling is almost exactly the same as @D Haynes expressed above. An important area, and she should be commended for wanting to make a difference. That said, I would not choose any word that includes part of the word suicide, but rather something that evokes empowering people by moving them to positive outlooks on life.

Bob

•••
1800gethope.com is available for regging. note: the seven letters for phone number. :)

•••
1800gethope.com is available for regging.
does the 1800 represent anything? I personally don't like number/word combinations, but will be sharing this thread with her so she will see it....

•••
800 is toll free numbers come to think of it, we dont have tolled numbers anymore. lol. some companies still use them.

•••
800 is toll free numbers
We are in the UK - good for global domination, but she needs to focus on the UK market to start with I think :xf.smile:

•••
maybe a uk combo like that then. hmmm

•••
I like your idea better + I think her name is easy to mess up for a new user.

Removing the word suicide is better IMHO

This is an important subject to me.

I've lost multiple friends to suicide...two of them many of you probably learned about or remember from awhile ago.

•••
we tend to like the man idea and the woman strut. lol. :)

•••
BTW I do like the choice of .org over .com as the TLD for this use, just not the name itself.

Bob

•••
I like your idea better + I think her name is easy to mess up for a new user.

Removing the word suicide is better IMHO

This is an important subject to me.

I've lost multiple friends to suicide...two of them many of you probably learned about or remember from awhile ago.

Thanks for sharing

It is a very important subject and it is great to see her doing something that is close to her heart and will hopefully have a positive impact on peoples lives....

•••
Flat out- it's a terrible domain name. Both in the com and the org. On it's own, it's going to need a LOT of help to reach people, and vice-versa.

This is a great example of differing mindsets between an investor and an enduser when it comes to tackling the right name for a project. We tend to know our stuff and better options, end users may easily become tunnel-visioned.

I do like some of the other suggestions mentioned in the thread. They have a more positive feel and make more sense for visitors looking for help.

•••
@hawkeye you should know by now not to speak out against the ruling classes :xf.wink: (that's what I told my sister when she was deciding on a domain) ......just making sure this post is on topic :xf.rolleyes:

•••
helpwithsuicide.co.uk is available.

•••
It makes sense knowing what it is but I can see it being hard to spell from hearing it alone.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back