Dynadot

Multiple price requests on Afternic

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Jay Ha

Exploring..Top Member
Impact
I've had some price requests at Afternic during my short time in domaining but never received an email notification. I only used to find out about them during my random checks at my dashboard.

However, I woke up today to 7 price request emails from afternic, all within less than 15 minutes. Has this ever happened to any of you? Do you usually receive price request emails? From your experiences, what might multiple price requests for the same domain imply to? Can I contact an afternic broker to find the amount the potential buyer had offered (if any)?

It is funny because I only regged this plural name as a defensive acquisition for my singular product 2-worder name (also a hand reg) but I was seriously planning to develop them, for real this time.

Thanks peeps.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I get emails for price requests, but not sure if for all.
I have never received a reply to any price request. They never lead to a counteroffer or a sale in my experience.
Price requests may be fake. AN might be trying to test your reaction.
Only reason I take price requests slightly seriously is because Godaddy is big, and people
may be thinking a domain can only be bought from Godaddy.
Afternic won't give any hints about the buyer.
Multiple price requests: If you respond to one, by adding a min price and BIN, you won't get any such requests. if you don't respond, maybe the buyer is insisting that you respond.
I have received offers for the same domain from multiple channels, or more than one user, and all were very low offers, and I don't know what this is supposed to mean. It might mean, more than one people learn that a company is interested in acquiring that domain, and each try to get it first for a low price (to reduce risk) . I suspect low 3 fig sales are mostly such sales: buyer thinks it can sell quickly for 5 figures. I'm not an expert on AN.
I think a good way to avoid price requests which won't lead to a sale is to add a 3 figure min offer.
But this would be time consuming if you have many domains. Only 50 domains can be edited at once.
Probably adding BIN prices is a bad idea, because you can't remove them quickly. You can't post BIN prices in more than one channel. You get offer on one, then before responding you have to remove BIN prices from other marketplaces.

•••
I have received a price request too today O_o

•••
I've received many, and yes some turned into sales so not all are tire-kickers

•••
I've never rcvd multiple price request on the same name before. But in the last couple of days I got 8 or 9 on the same domain, all in the same day. Something I've never seen before. I responded to the last one. I think it is a glitch.

•••
Sometimes I do receive the email notifications, sometimes not. I have received multiples on the same day (for different domains).

It's a good practice to login to your Afternic account every now and then to check.

Many price requests have turned into deals, many have not.

Once you set a BIN price, follow up with a message to Afternic to prompt them to Fast Transfer list your domain at your registrar. This doesn't always happen automatically.
https://www.namepros.com/threads/pr...rt-problems-here.1006373/page-31#post-6782088

Last edited:
•••
•••
Sometimes I do receive the email notifications, sometimes not. I have received multiples on the same day (for different domains).

It's a good practice to login to your Afternic account every now and then to check.

Many price requests have turned into deals, many have not.

Once you set a BIN price, follow up with a message to Afternic to prompt them to Fast Transfer list your domain at your registrar. This doesn't always happen automatically.
https://www.namepros.com/threads/pr...rt-problems-here.1006373/page-31#post-6782088

Why fast transfer? Most price requests (if any) don't lead to a sale. Most offers don't lead to a sale. If a domain sells with fast transfer, it can also sell normally. Why waste time with this.

Years ago I agreed to sell many 3 letter .co's for 3K in total, but buyer insisted on Godaddy whatever it meant, and I couldn't sell and dropped all. There is something in Godaddy which I can't explain. Chinese people don't buy directly and instead hire a broker, and they want domains to be in their Godaddy account.
Total nonsense but because of this we can't sell our domains. Brokers get lion's share.

Last edited:
•••
When a domain is listed for "Fast Transfer" it means that it is premium listed, across all of Afternic's affiliates. Can't have one without the other.

Saying that Price Requests never result in sales is contradicted by the MANY sales I have had at Afternic after getting a price request. Sometimes the sale happens suddenly weeks or even months (in one case well over a year) after I set the price, but it does happen.

The reason I get so many price requests, perhaps, is that I have about 1500 domains and most of them (other than the ones I have received price requests on, or otherwise decided to set a price on), are simply set for "$399. minimum offer." So, when I get a price request it means that whoever is interested is not some joker who thinks that the domain is worth only $399. - it is someone who wants to know how much I want for the domain and is willing to pay over $399.

Last edited:
•••
The reason I get so many price requests, perhaps, is that I have about 1500 domains and most of them (other than the ones I have received price requests on, or otherwise decided to set a price on), are simply set for "$399. minimum offer." So, when I get a price request it means that whoever is interested is not some joker who thinks that the domain is worth only $399. - it is someone who wants to know how much I want for the domain and is willing to pay over $399.

I'm kinda surprised that you don't get the tire-kickers even with a $399 lowest offer price (you just won't get as many). My thinking would be "why start the bidding at a higher price, and potentially overpay". The seller is only going to ask the same price, if I offer $399 or $3399. So I get to know your asking price however much I bid. Provided I'm bidding according to the terms of the offer. I don't think you have different asking prices depending on the first bid. Or do you? I still get tire-kickers even with a min bid of $999 (just not so many as with a lower min bid).

Last edited:
•••
Okay. I understood some of what you wrote but not the middle part. ? So I’m not sure how to respond.

•••
Okay. I understood some of what you wrote but not the middle part. ? So I’m not sure how to respond.

Which part was the middle part which you didn't understand. And I'll try to explain again, differently?

•••
When a domain is listed for "Fast Transfer" it means that it is premium listed, across all of Afternic's affiliates. Can't have one without the other.

I used to have some of my names enabled with FT, but took it off for security reasons
because, if someone accesses your afternic account, they could change price and buy fast.

however, those names which have been accepted, listed and priced, still show on affiliate sites, even without FT enabled.

imo….

•••
All Afternic listed domains appear on Affiliate sites, but only "Fast Transfer" ones appear on ALL of their affiliate sites, is the way I understand it.

Or, what you refer to is a glitch.

In either case, unless you list it for Fast Transfer in the first place, it won't appear on all of their affiliates.

•••
If min price is 399, and someone makes a price request, then does this mean that person made a binding offer of 399?
---
Can AN Dls and SedomlsPremium be used simultaneously for the same domain? What happens if it "sells" in both way? If the domain sells via one of them, ideally, the other marketplace should learn about it and remove the listing (why not , communication is easy), but instead they can learn this , and "buy" it in their marketplace (and of course there is no money movement), just to make you pay a commission penalty.
(and if you suspect they will do it, sell it to yourself).
----

•••
If min price is 399, and someone makes a price request, then does this mean that person made a binding offer of 399?

No

Can AN Dls and SedomlsPremium be used simultaneously for the same domain? What happens if it "sells" in both way? If the domain sells via one of them, ideally, the other marketplace should learn about it and remove the listing (why not , communication is easy), but instead they can learn this , and "buy" it in their marketplace (and of course there is no money movement), just to make you pay a commission penalty.
(and if you suspect they will do it, sell it to yourself).
----

Yes they can because they are different competing networks. Nope it's your responsibility to make sure you don't sell a domain twice. You will be subjected to whatever penalties they normally apply to such infractions of their ToS.

Why not simply remove the listing from the other network after it has been sold in one of the networks? No need to sell it to yourself?

Last edited:
•••
Why not simply remove the listing from the other network after it has been sold in one of the networks? No need to sell it to yourself?

If I learn this on time I would. My buy now price may be 1K at one marketplace and 1M at the other, and I may think noone will pay 1M so no problem. 1K one may be fast transfer. The marketplace which has 1M price, may buy it at the other marketplace and then seconds later "buy" it at their own marketplace. I make 850 from a legitimate sale and have to pay 150K penalty for failed sale.

At Afternic you have to respond to price requests to sell, and to respond you have to put a buy now price, and then you can't counter an offer made at Sedo without removing that price.
Buy now prices are legally dangerous. Fast transfers are even more dangerous. But if you use only one marketplace, no such problem.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back