IT.COM

question Moving to a new registrar - Please advise

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Mtaly

Established Member
Impact
I have been using name.com for a very long time. But I decided to end this relationship today :/ due to their unreliable customer service + their high prices compared to other registrars.

I am thinking about the following alternative and need some experts advise, as I look for:

• Well established registrar.
  • Strong customer service, 24/7 chat is always my preferred way of communication.
  • Security, 2 step verification for login.
  • Affordable prices within the industry with free WHOIS - monthly coupons ...etc.

So, I have been thinking to transfer my domains from name.com (5 domains) to:

• Namesilo: I have a couple of domains with them but I do not like their interface especially the mixed modern and classic .. makes me confused.
  • Google domains: high in prices but Google is well established and secure.
  • Cloudflare: I do not know anything about them, if someone has used their domain registry system please share your experience.
  • Dynadot.
What do you think guys?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Verified accounts or established accounts can push anyitme.

The thing we are safeguarding against is the unfortunate practice of people who buy domains with stolen credit card and push their names to their victims.

Truth be told, this policy is to protect that kind of abuse. We are very reasonable, but have some simple policies designed to deter crooks.

Agree. It's not an unreasonable measure. Extra security usually results in some added inconvenience so it's all about what you care for the most.

This day and age some extra protection can't hurt. I'm waiting for you guys to enable fingerprint and face recognition authentication ;)

•••
Last edited:
•••
NameSilo, Epik, Dynadot, all good people IMO

•••
I have enjoyed using (in no particular order)
  • Namesilo (old user interface FTW)
  • Epik
  • Dynadot
Those are my main go-to's, although I also use Cloudflare, Namecheap, Porkbun, Uniregistry and a handful of others (even Name.com).

Unless Google Domains has added bulk controls, you might want to limit the number of domains you register with them, as It will save you a ton of time in the long run, especially if you have a large portfolio. I used to have a lot of domains there and at GoDaddy, but I transferred many of them away.

Good luck!

Last edited:
•••
•••
I have been using name.com for a very long time. But I decided to end this relationship today :/ due to their unreliable customer service + their high prices compared to other registrars.

I am thinking about the following alternative and need some experts advise, as I look for:

• Well established registrar.
  • Strong customer service, 24/7 chat is always my preferred way of communication.
  • Security, 2 step verification for login.
  • Affordable prices within the industry with free WHOIS - monthly coupons ...etc.

So, I have been thinking to transfer my domains from name.com (5 domains) to:

• Namesilo: I have a couple of domains with them but I do not like their interface especially the mixed modern and classic .. makes me confused.
  • Google domains: high in prices but Google is well established and secure.
  • Cloudflare: I do not know anything about them, if someone has used their domain registry system please share your experience.
  • Dynadot.
What do you think guys?

Epik.com hands down without question!

•••
Epik, Namesilo, Namebright. I will go with Epik.

•••
Really?? I've never seen one that doesn't do that....and usually they are quite rigid in you have to wait the full 60 days, no getting it released early. (Even Dynadot does...https://www.dynadot.com/community/help/question/cant-transfer)

So really nothing special there, at least Epik will waive it in most cases if you ask. Most registrars won't (honestly don't know about Dynadot, never tried)
If you contact Rob he will remove lock on the domain I had him once so I could give auth code out on a locked domain

•••
Epik is best - They have great payout options as posted by another NP Member .

The thing I really liked about epik.com is that they have many options for payout, much more than anyone else, PayPal, ACH, Wire, Bitcoins as well as TransferWise. Plus 9% commission on sales is much better than those of GoDaddy (20% and limited payout options).

•••
So really nothing special there, at least Epik will waive it in most cases if you ask. Most registrars won't (honestly don't know about Dynadot, never tried)

Epik won't allow you to transfer newly registered domains within 60 days besides a push which can be done at any registrar that supports account pushes. No registrar allows you to transfer domains within 60 days after registration as per ICANN rules.

They do however lock transferred in domains and pushed domains for 60 days by default, which is uncommon, especially for pushes.

•••
would still disagree on the "industry standard" pertaining to 60 day locks. Every registrar I have an account at enforces then on recent transfers, including Epik, Dynadot, NameSilo, NameBright, GoDaddy, and Network Solutions.

As far as Epik goes. They changed that recently. They used to allow you to transfer again within 60 days. It can still be done by contacting support as far as I know.

•••
•••
•••
epik is complicated and make people confused.
Dynadot is clear and better.

Last edited:
•••
Last edited:
•••
I would chose dynadot over any registerar. Everything is swift and user friendly.

•••
Epik is my primary registrar. The interface is built for domain investors/sellers/buyers...lots of things available to make life easier for someone with hundreds or thousands of domains. I also use Godaddy, Namesilo, Dynadot and Uniregistry (in no particular order).

•••
Verified accounts or established accounts can push anyitme.

Didn't even know that was an option. So when you say verified account does that mean that should be enabled on my account since I sent in my ID?

•••
Epik.com with second option being dynadot.com.

Epik for their solid pricing, excellent customer service and having a marketplace.

Dynadot for their pricing, good customer service, marketplace (only paypal payout if balance is $500), can list only dynadot registered domains.

•••
only paypal payout if balance is $500

They changed that policy recently. They lowered it or waived this limit entirely. If you search for it, there's a thread where someone complained about this and they ultimately worked with the feeeback and changed the payout rules.

•••
They changed that policy recently. They lowered it or waived this limit entirely. If you search for it, there's a thread where someone complained about this and they ultimately worked with the feeeback and changed the payout rules.

They should provide more payout options. Like ACH and wire.

•••
•••
I am a big fan for Namecheap
Epik is good
dayadot support is not good
Namesilo support is awesome
purkbun famous for low price

•••
•••
While epik is nice it sometimes pays to use a more reliable register such as namesilo or godaddy, few end-users want a domain at epik

Who the user wants to use is irrelevant to where you keep the names. They can always transfer it. If you try to guess where the user will want it you'll probably end up at a non domainer friendly registrar, and still get end users who dont want the domain there.

So basically that should have 0 effect on what you choose.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back