Domain Empire

Movies about domain names

NameSilo
Watch
Impact
Just wanted to ask you friends is there any documental or biographical movies about domain names!?

I know about Social Network etc but it is about website!

And how about domain names? When try to search in G I see only (.movies) in search results

Any ideas?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
A movie about domain names.. hmm. None that I know of, but for sure I would watch it! Or even help write it, play a role.

What we need:

- A solid plot (goodness knows, easily extracted from a few threads over the years here on NP)
- An association with something that most people understand, eg., an art heist
- A recognizable actor, actress at least for the main role
- A travesty, a connection to a character that goes beyond domaining
- An ending that allows for a second movie, the first will surely flop but at least the seed is planted

The movie could be based on something like:

- the rise, and/or fall, of someone who discovered domains
- a domain name itself, and the stories accompanied with each owner over the years with its sale or drop, coming full circle back to the original owner
- a grand theft, this could be a good guy, bad guy thingy, maybe the theft could reflect something for the greater good.. involving Anonymous

•••
A proper name of course.

"Dude, Where's My Domain?"
"Domain Royale"
"The Fast and the Curious"

•••
"Domain names? Hmm... what is it?"
"The story about domains"
"What do you know about domains?"

•••
A movie about domain names.. hmm. None that I know of, but for sure I would watch it! Or even help write it, play a role.

What we need:

- A solid plot (goodness knows, easily extracted from a few threads over the years here on NP)
-
A proper name of course.

"Domain Royale"
😆👍👍👍

•••
"Domain names? Hmm... what is it?"
"The story about domains"
"What do you know about domains?"
A very useful names for beginners! Will help to save money on the start! 👍

•••
A proper name of course.

"Domain Royale"
I got one: 50 shades of domains.

•••
Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Domains But Were Afraid to Ask
Directed by Woody Allen

•••
I'm thinking a comedy called "That Lame Guy".

•••
On a more serious note; someone should make a documentary about the Epik scandal.

The title could be "F*cking Epik!".

Last edited:
•••
I got one: 50 shades of domains.
Nice one!

It's only proper we're venturing into possible collision issues with domain movie names :xf.grin:

•••

Sex.com: One Domain, Two Men, Twelve Years and the Brutal Battle for the Jewel in the Internet's Crown​

Paperback – May 17, 2007​

by Kieren M McCarthy (Author)

4.2 out of 5 stars

4.2 on Goodreads

With five million page views every day, sex.com was the most valuable piece of virtual real estate on the planet. But the fact that it didn't physically exist didn't mean that it couldn't be stolen. With an ingenious scam-the full details of which have never been revealed until now-lifelong con man Stephen Cohen was able to snatch the domain name and walk into a life of untold wealth and luxury. But Cohen underestimated the determination of Gary Kremen-sex.com's original owner-to get his property back. It took ten years and millions of dollars, but Kremen eventually saw, and, on occasion, forced Cohen to pay for his crimes. This is the inside story of the extraordinary battle between two extraordinary men: a Stanford scholar with uncanny foresight, and an uneducated, genius con man with an unnatural gift for persuasion. The fight pushed each man to the edge, rewrote the law, and shaped the history and development of the Internet as we know it.

Not a movie, but I liked the book. I couldn't put it down.

https://www.amazon.com/Sex-com-Domain-Twelve-Brutal-Internets/dp/1905204663

518lwxyzsGL._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

•••
Last edited:
•••

Sex.com: One Domain, Two Men, Twelve Years and the Brutal Battle for the Jewel in the Internet's Crown​

4.2 out of 5 stars

4.2 on Goodreads

With five million page views every day, sex.com was the most valuable piece of virtual real estate on the planet. But the fact that it didn't physically exist didn't mean that it couldn't be stolen. With an ingenious scam-the full details of which have never been revealed until now-lifelong con man Stephen Cohen was able to snatch the domain name and walk into a life of untold wealth and luxury. But Cohen underestimated the determination of Gary Kremen-sex.com's original owner-to get his property back. It took ten years and millions of dollars, but Kremen eventually saw, and, on occasion, forced Cohen to pay for his crimes. This is the inside story of the extraordinary battle between two extraordinary men: a Stanford scholar with uncanny foresight, and an uneducated, genius con man with an unnatural gift for persuasion. The fight pushed each man to the edge, rewrote the law, and shaped the history and development of the Internet as we know it.

Thank you very much for this book! Definitely this will be my next book in the list!!! And one of my favorites for sure!!!

•••
On a more serious note; someone should make a documentary about the Epik scandal.

The title could be "F*cking Epik!".

This is a very good idea, however it's better to slightly change the genre.

jhonny-sins-reyiz-wink.gif

•••
Should a movie about domains come out, please let me know as that'd be my pleasure to watch it.. actually :D

Last edited:
•••
A proper name of course.

"Domain Royale"
“The Domainfather”
“Domainiator”
“Schilling’s list“
“Spine-Schilling“
“The name’s Schilling… Frank Schilling“
“The Schilling“
“Good-domains”
“(Everything leads) Back to the Domain”

•••
"Man who registered thousands of domains in one night" ( about Mike Mann).

•••
•••
A documentary would definitely be cool. Featuring some of the well known domainers....

I'd watch it for entertainment value and depending on production for educational purpose.

•••

4.2 out of 5 stars

4.2 on Goodreads

Interesting from wikipedia:

"According to court documents, Cohen fraudulently obtained the lucrative Internet domain name Sex.com in May 1995 from the original registrant, Gary Kremen, who had registered it in May 1994. Cohen obtained the domain by means of a forged letter to domain registrar Network Solutions, faxed from Kremen's company "Online Classified", fraudulently stating that Kremen had been dismissed and the firm was abandoning the domain and that Cohen could have it. Network Solutions blindly accepted the fax with no verification and transferred the domain to Cohen, an action that would prove grounds for a later civil suit by Kremen against Network Solutions.[5] It is estimated that Cohen illegally earned US$100 million between October 1995 and November 2000 from his ownership of sex.com.

In April 2001, the court ordered damages of $65 million be paid to Kremen. Cohen left the United States in 2001 and was living in Tijuana, Mexico, when he was arrested on October 28, 2005.[6] As of 2011 the amount of damages owed to Kremen had increased to $82 million with interest and Cohen to this date, has refused to pay one penny towards the judgment.[6]

Cohen was held in a civil contempt for failure to disclose his assets. He was released from custody on December 5, 2006, by Judge Ware because "Kremen has failed to locate evidence of hidden bank accounts or other assets.”[7] Courts have ruled in Kremen's favor several times since 2006, with evidence that seven individuals, including some of Cohen's family members, and twelve companies were used to help him hide the money."

Last edited:
•••
Hey there! I've been curious about the same thing lately. While I've seen movies about websites and startups, I haven't come across any documentaries or biographical films specifically focused on domain names. It's quite an interesting topic, considering the crucial role domain names play in the digital world. If anyone knows of such movies or documentaries, please share!

•••
Hey there! I've been curious about the same thing lately. While I've seen movies about websites and startups, I haven't come across any documentaries or biographical films specifically focused on domain names. It's quite an interesting topic, considering the crucial role domain names play in the digital world. If anyone knows of such movies or documentaries, please share!
Especially when domains sells for millions!
I can't believe there is no thriller stories in this business! 😁😋

•••
Hi, We should totally go for a Web series to tackle the wild and wacky world of the domain industry.

I mean, movies, they just can't handle the crazy rollercoaster ride of domain names, am I right? With a web series, we can dish out season after season of drama, motivation, hilarity, and all the entertainment you can dream of.

+, we'll never run out of those ever-shifting trends to keep things interesting.

Furthermore, international actors and actresses could represent domainers, adding a global perspective to the narrative. Let's bring on the laughter, the drama, and the domain madness – it's going to be a riot! 🔥🔥🔥

#Multiple_Seasons

#Endless material for drama,

#Comedy

#Motivation

📚Let's see where this exciting concept could take us......🎬✅

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back