IT.COM

new gtlds Most selling new TLD in Aftermarket is .TOP

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

News

Hand-picked NewsTop Member
Impact
Just about four years ago, .TOP was made available for registration by ICANN and as of Feb 2019, this new TLD has clocked over $7.2 Million in aftermarket sales, a staggering 200% more than .Club that stands at $2.4 Million as per the latest data on NameBio.
.TOP is the second most registered new gTLD ever. It has been enthusiastically adopted by small and large companies establishing themselves as a top brand in their industry including the likes of Amazon, Apple, Chanel, Google, Lego, Yahoo and more, who all have their brands registered in .TOP ...
Read More

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I already saw at least a few .TOP Adult domains which are offered for registration as Premiums...
So really strange/abnormal that they sell them and then block...
My domain was standard.

•••
How much does the spam even matter? It only makes the short, generic domains in your extension more valuable, assuming it's a popular and affordable extension like .top has managed to be, relatively.

If the best sales in your extension are consistently short names and generic one-word names - the way com/net/org/co are - then you'll have a better chance of standing out among the sea of new extensions, which .top evidently has. It's certainly better than your only public sale being "dishwasher" almost two years ago

•••
Do you know if this only has happened to adult names, or even other categories of names?
At least to Adult.
Regarding other categories - I don't know exactly... but if your content is not suitable for China - 95% that such domains can be blocked regardless of they are Adult or not.

Last edited:
•••
Chinese .TOP registry also doesn't follow GDPR...
Nothing was changed since May'2018... WHOIS is completely visible as it was.
🚩

I am not 100 % sure on this at this time - but doesn't this depend on the registrar (not registry) and where they are based?
I believe China - based registrars are not obligated to follow GDPR as this is an european regulation and probably only valid for member states of the european unionnn

General Data Protection Regulation

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Data_Protection_Regulation

Regulation
(European Union)
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regulation_(European_Union)

Last edited:
•••
Yes, they are not obliged.
But, for example, American registries Donuts and Neustar follow GDPR for all their TLDs.

•••
His investments are into English/Deutsch keywords where ~0 demand.

Last edited:
•••
I have even own experience with hundreds of .TOPs...
Sold the only one for $850 to the buyer from Moscow.
So I know - what I'm saying.

•••
Sometimes its look me fake sales but who know

•••
🚩

I am not surpriseddd
This is still the beginning of a global adoption / demand of .top in my viewww
We have to use the power of patienceee

•••
Just about four years ago, ... [...]

🚩

The article says that .top is the second most registered new TLD but thats wrong - because it is the most registered new TLD ever.

And it has the potential to become the most registered TLD of all timeee

Last edited:
•••
[...] I think many investors from EU/US missed a train on this one a little, and I am unfortunatelly one of them. [...]

🚩

The train is rolling already, yes - but not yet so fast that you couldn't jump uppp

Last edited:
•••
His investments are into English/Deutsch keywords where ~0 demand.

🚩

You do not know the demand that my domain names generateee

Its correct that I have english / german keywords - but not only, I also have chinese domain names, this is one for example:

顶.top

IDN: xn--r05a.top
english meaning: top.top

•••
Those numbers are really skewed by (81) 1 & 2 character sales.

While they made up only 4% of the total sales, they accounted for more than 58% of the total dollar volume.

Brad

🚩

Correct but namebio (is great but) does (can logically) far not reflect all sales.

•••
I'm shocked that there's even been 10 sales.

🚩

I'm not shocked but surprised that you are shocked about that...

BT

There are not only 10 .top sales hahaahaaa

Last edited:
•••
This is because GoDaddy doesn't provide .TOP registrations.
So unknown TLD in North America since the beginning.

Exactly - so it makes me laugh when someone could imagine competing with .com without Godaddy.

Most of the .top registrations are done for scams in majoriry and it reminds me the story of the .tk.

We all know what happened to the .tk : From the Top to the Bottom - Blacklisted by Google !

End of the game.

•••
But outside China proper the market is virtually nil.

Why?
What will be my disadvantages if I develop a website on top extension, apart from popularity disadvantage of .top compared to .com?
Do you want to say. top websites are not or will not be accessible from certain locations of the World? If not, extension is just a detail. I can choose the extensions with low renewal fee. I don't see a major difference between extensions. Only .com is different as it's the most popular one. Technically all extensions are the same. Then I like to choose the ones with low renewal fee. Why should I care if the extension is China or US or another country based as long as I am allowed to register it?

Last edited:
•••
.TOP Registry can set ServerHold on your domain at any time and without any notification.
I already had such case with Adult keyword... and this domain was without any content... just parked on Sedo.

•••
All .top is blocked by professionals :ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:
Good luckk

•••
Many fake sales in .top (and .xyz). Mostly this extension used by spammers because it is cheap.

•••
All .top is blocked by professionals :ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:
Good luckk
You are completely wrong, here are some .top websites

nebo.top
univer.top
bio.top
jizhijia.top
ugo.top
eav.top
quanye.top
budao.top
geeku.top

•••
•••
•••
.TOP Registry can set ServerHold on your domain at any time and without any notification.
I already had such case with Adult keyword... and this domain was without any content... just parked on Sedo.

Do you know if this only has happened to adult names, or even other categories of names?

•••
Chinese .TOP registry also doesn't follow GDPR...
Nothing was changed since May'2018... WHOIS is completely visible as it was.

•••
At least to Adult.
Regarding other categories - I don't know exactly... but if your content is not suitable for China - 95% that such domains can be blocked regardless of they are Adult or not.

What about Fulan Gong site?

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back