Domain Empire

Moniker sucks!

Spaceship
Watch

dodoherty

Impact
I have two domains registered for five years with moniker.com and several more recently registered with namecheap.com. Since that time I got rid of my land line phone and use only cell and my email address changed (due to Verizon FIOS being bought by Frontier in Oregon). I have my username and password recorded in a file, but when I tried to login to moniker.com six weeks ago I got a login error. I've since learned that due to someone hacking them, moniker reset all account passwords. I have no email record of moniker.com notifying me of this password reset. Since my email and phone number were no longer valid, I effectively couldn't get access to my account. I contacted moniker phone support and verified my account number and mailing address and they said they'd send me a snail mail form with a verification code which I could use to call in and reset my password. Two weeks later, no mail from them. Called in again and they said they'd sent it, but I'd been checking the mail diligently waiting for their letter, so I'm sure they didn't send it. They said they'd send another one. I received the letter with verification code, in addition to the following surprising information:

1. I was required to pre-pay $50 to my account on moniker.com in order to change my email.
2. All my domains are locked for six months (conveniently, this is one month past my current domain expiration date).

Effectively, to get access to my account, they are blackmailing me to stay with them. Needless to say, I will be moving my account from moniker.com to namecheap.com at the earliest opportunity.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Moniker is currently literally holding my domain hostage, preventing transfer. The domain is unlocked and they (the moniker site at my request) issue authorization codes for transfer, then deny the transfer request even using the authorization codes.

I am transferring the domain in the first place for extremely poor customer service. Long hold times, no replies to tickets, changing login name and password periodically on you so you can't log in to renew your domains and they expire and you have to bid on your OWN names, etc.

Use them at your peril.

•••
Here is my story:

I go and find a rare domain I like that I want to use for a website. I go with moniker to buy it. Then the transaction completes WITH NO OPTION FOR PRIVACY PROTECTION! None! And this domain type normally has privacy protection.

I search around the interface in moniker for privacy protection, nothing. Moniker's help and interface are useless. So no privacy protection is possible.

I do a whois going directly to the whois site from a command line linux whois. I find that my personal information name, address, phone are all out there. I also know companies will keep all whois history that changes so this is terrible and I can never use it for a domain name!

I try to contact moniker by email. They don't answer. By phone, they say their office is closed.

Moniker claimed they would refund when I signed up but nothing.

So I change my personal information to random stuff and I try to update. I go back and I see moniker did not update. I try over and over dozens of times. At some point moniker claims a pending operation is done but I see nope it will not update.

So now a hard-to-find domain I was going to use for a website is RUINED all thanks to Moniker. I can never use it for a website because once my real information is there even once, it is stored forever on websites.

Last edited:
•••
•••
Moniker died already 2 years ago, I wonder why even someone uses this crappy registrar? Only crazy will keep his names at Moniker.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back