NameSilo

advice Monetizing a domain....Any advice?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Hi all

I have this domain (IVG.com) and I wanted to monetize it in some way while it sits around waiting for a decent offer.

I have been selling names for years but never done any developing or monetizing of names.

I have Google alerts for "IVG" and I have recently been getting a lot of alerts about "In Vitro Gametogenesis" so I just thought that might be an option.

IVG = In Vitro Gametogenesis
https://www.freethink.com/videos/ivg-in-vitro-gametogenesis

Any suggestions or advice? It may be just wishful thinking but thought I would ask some of you experts :xf.smile:

Thanks in advance

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I would first check how much traffic it generate and traffic source.
If we look up on seo it has anchors compared with: lighthouses of the world, lighthouses over the world, bart noord nederland. In the other hand I see You use Sedo parking and it's probably set on auto and gets something similar with forex and some specific country words like Italy which going back to Real estate.In Poland there is company starts with ivg and it's about building etc. This is shortcut related with many things so can be anything. I would change parking for parking crew/afternic/epik/voodo or any other with google api and check if keywords on auto would be still the same but probably yes. Congrats on great domain name :)

Last edited:
•••
Hi all

I have this domain (IVG.com) and I wanted to monetize it in some way while it sits around waiting for a decent offer.

I have been selling names for years but never done any developing or monetizing of names.

I have Google alerts for "IVG" and I have recently been getting a lot of alerts about "In Vitro Gametogenesis" so I just thought that might be an option.

IVG = In Vitro Gametogenesis
https://www.freethink.com/videos/ivg-in-vitro-gametogenesis

Any suggestions or advice? It may be just wishful thinking but thought I would ask some of you experts :xf.smile:

Thanks in advance

This could be potentially big thing. Install a blog template and post every article and news that comes on the subject (of course, without violating any copyright on text and/or images). The content might start driving traffic and someone might like the idea and buy the name+site from you.

•••
Last edited:
•••
I would first check how much traffic it generate and traffic source.
If we look up on seo it has anchors compared with: lighthouses of the world, lighthouses over the world, bart noord nederland. In the other hand I see You use Sedo parking and it's probably set on auto and gets something similar with forex and some specific country words like Italy which going back to Real estate.In Poland there is company starts with ivg and it's about building etc. This is shortcut related with many things so can be anything. I would change parking for parking crew/afternic/epik/voodo or any other with google api and check if keywords on auto would be still the same but probably yes. Congrats on great domain name :)

Thanks a lot, I will change the parking to test it out. It gets some traffic from Germany and other parts of Europe which I assume is related to IVG.de, a huge real estate company.

actually I would probably try to sell it instead to these guys below.

https://www.thermofisher.com/us/en/home/brands/invitrogen.html
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Invitrogen

very nice 3L. Good luck!

also In Vitro Glucose meters.

Thanks, that opportunity has already been explored, as has IVG Immobilien and whole bunch of others as well, we have companies that want it but they are not willing to pay the big $$ (yet :xf.smile:) this is whay I want use the name somehow while we wait.

Last edited:
•••
For simple parking with possible revenue with some good idea where traffic is coming from, I would suggest voodoo. I've found in at least a few cases, when parking is used and someone checks a name and a competitor comes up in the ads, it seems to make some 'searchers' more responsive.

Names I have parked at voodoo have the link active that when clicked will take them to a page with a bin and/or make offer option.

With a superior 3L like the one you have, what would be more interesting than the few dollars made on parking would be from where the traffic is coming from and by which method...the voodoo system will show both...it is simple but it helps me sometimes when determining what to do next with a name.

(if I had some extra cash, I would make you an offer!!!)

•••
For simple parking with possible revenue with some good idea where traffic is coming from, I would suggest voodoo. I've found in at least a few cases, when parking is used and someone checks a name and a competitor comes up in the ads, it seems to make some 'searchers' more responsive.

Names I have parked at voodoo have the link active that when clicked will take them to a page with a bin and/or make offer option.

With a superior 3L like the one you have, what would be more interesting than the few dollars made on parking would be from where the traffic is coming from and by which method...the voodoo system will show both...it is simple but it helps me sometimes when determining what to do next with a name.

(if I had some extra cash, I would make you an offer!!!)

Thanks a lot. Voodoo seems to be the place to try. Is there any particular layout that works better than others or is it just a trial annd error game

•••
Thanks a lot. Voodoo seems to be the place to try. Is there any particular layout that works better than others or is it just a trial annd error game

I've tried all the combinations but the 'standard' one seems to be the best for me. Part of the key is selecting an image that matches the name (the system generally selects a pretty good match but sometimes is a bit off) and enter a basic/simple search word or phrase. Again, the system will pull from the domain name and it is usually pretty good. Support is good but expect 'business' hours for a reply. Oh yeah, take full advantage of title, etc. as it will get picked up by the bots and will eventually show up on google, bing, etc if the exact domain is typed in.

•••
Thanks I will try that and see how it goes.

•••
I would be really careful with any kind of parking for any domain you care about.

My only UDRP case was due to it being parked (@ voodoo) and ads I never even picked were being shown.

https://www.adrforum.com/domaindecisions/1579392.htm

Long story short, Enterprise Rent-A-Car tried taking 4 of my 6 domains that contained the word enterprise. EnterpriseCart(.)com, EnterpriseShip(.)com, eEnterprise(.)net, e-enterprise(.)com. I lost the last 2 because they were automatically showing rental car ads, even though I set the keywords to either "business software" or nothing. To add insult to injury, the amount I was getting was maybe $10-$30 per year. Even though the parking amount was nominal, that didn't affect their decision.

In the process of preparing for this case, I looked up many similar cases and having a lander that is monetizing on words in the industry of a trademark seemed to be the deciding factor in several other cases and they can care less if you set the keyword or it is automagically violating for you.

Up until 2014, I had 1-2 people a year make claims on unknown trademarks on generic phrases (trademark was unknown without looking up). Since I stopped parking after this case, I haven't had a single claim in 6 years. Plus I have over 7,000 names now as opposed to about 3,000-4,000 names back then. Coincidence?

Last edited:
•••
I would be really careful with any kind of parking for any domain you care about.

My only UDRP case was due to it being parked (@ voodoo) and ads I never even picked were being shown.

Long story short, Enterprise Rent-A-Car tried taking 4 of my 6 domains that contained the word enterprise. EnterpriseCart(.)com, EnterpriseShip(.)com, eEnterprise(.)net, e-enterprise(.)com. I lost the last 2 because they were automatically showing rental car ads, even though I set the keywords to either "small business" or nothing. To add insult to injury, the amount I was getting was maybe $10-$30 per year. Even though the parking amount was nominal, that didn't affect their decision.

In the process of preparing for this case, I looked up many similar cases and having a lander that is monetizing on words in the industry of a trademark seemed to be the deciding factor in several other cases.

Up until 2014, I had 1-2 people a year make claims on unknown trademarks on generic phrases (unknown without looking up). Since I stopped parking after this case, I haven't had a single claim in 6 years. Plus I have over 7,000 names now as opposed to about 3,000-4,000 names back then. Coincidence?

Thanks. I will make sure of that. Most of the similar TM's were filed after I owned the name anyway.

•••
Thanks. I will make sure of that. Most of the similar TM's were filed after I owned the name anyway.

That's really good for you then.

Nice name by the way. Congrats!

Last edited:
•••
When You are on high level You fight with high level ;).

•••

Long story short, Enterprise Rent-A-Car tried taking 4 of my 6 domains that contained the word enterprise. EnterpriseCart(.)com, EnterpriseShip(.)com, eEnterprise(.)net, e-enterprise(.)com. I lost the last 2 because they were automatically showing rental car ads, even though I set the keywords to either "business software" or nothing. To add insult to injury, the amount I was getting was maybe $10-$30 per year. Even though the parking amount was nominal, that didn't affect their decision.

In the process of preparing for this case, I looked up many similar cases and having a lander that is monetizing on words in the industry of a trademark seemed to be the deciding factor in several other cases and they can care less if you set the keyword or it is automagically violating for you.

Up until 2014, I had 1-2 people a year make claims on unknown trademarks on generic phrases (trademark was unknown without looking up). Since I stopped parking after this case, I haven't had a single claim in 6 years. Plus I have over 7,000 names now as opposed to about 3,000-4,000 names back then. Coincidence?
I had a similar experience with The Napoleon Hill Foundation claiming that they had trademarked the phrase/term "Think and grow" and every other possible combination of words that followed. I couldn't fight them and offered it to them as a truce to let me keep selling my books and to use "thinkgrowballs" instead. It still has my keywords so ultimately I don't mind, but it was still humbling to have to hand over the name that was my brand at the time.

•••
Best part

Napoleon Hill actually has page on site where showcase (trophy case) the domains they won

https://www.naphill.org/about/trademarks-copyrights/

On The bottom will see ur forfeited domain, the most recent of conquests. thinkgrowballs :(
I’m on your side @JD Bloodstone! it’s bull****. With a 3L,com domain, these stakes amplified.

Last edited:
•••
This could be potentially big thing. Install a blog template and post every article and news that comes on the subject (of course, without violating any copyright on text and/or images). The content might start driving traffic and someone might like the idea and buy the name+site from you.

Thanks for that. I will have to have a look at that. Ive only ever done basic website stuff with Wix etc and a bit of Joomla. When you say a blog template, is there a good resource I can look at for this, Im happy to teach myself, or is it better/easier to get someone to do it for me?

•••
Thanks for that. I will have to have a look at that. Ive only ever done basic website stuff with Wix etc and a bit of Joomla. When you say a blog template, is there a good resource I can look at for this, Im happy to teach myself, or is it better/easier to get someone to do it for me?

it is very easy, basically, as long as you have a hosting.

1. teach yourself downloading and installing wordpress from wordpress.org. It is really easy, but feel free to hire someone from fiverr

2. use either default theme from wordpress org, or buy paid one from themeforest for $20 to $60. Theme manages the overall look and feel of your site.

3. get plugins you might need for security, caching or getting fancy. Don't install any plugins you don't really need. I have installed cerber for safety, and wp fastest cache for caching.

Feel free to pm for any additional tips or advise.

•••
Don't do anything with it it is worth money do not give a reason to devalue.

•••

1. teach yourself downloading and installing wordpress from wordpress.org. It is really easy, but feel free to hire someone from fiverr

2. use either default theme from wordpress org, or buy paid one from themeforest for $20 to $60. Theme manages the overall look and feel of your site.

3. get plugins you might need for security, caching or getting fancy. Don't install any plugins you don't really need. I have installed cerber for safety, and wp fastest cache for caching.

Thanks @Recons.Com I really appreciate your advice. I will start doing some playing around with it and see how it goes.

Don't do anything with it it is worth money do not give a reason to devalue.

Thanks, I do understand that but I am willing to try and make a few extra $$ from this one while its doing nothing. I have found from past experiences if an end user wants an LLL.com, they will buy it either personally or via a broker. I have discussed the sale of this name with all the major possible end-users and they know my price how to contact me if they decide to pay up.

•••
I wouldn't bother. It takes time, earnings are minimal, and it increases risk, as others have shown here. You really need to factor in the time it takes you to set it up, and the time and cost of any original content you might want. You could put in a big effort and earn next to nothing.

Sedo stats are totally unreliable and therefore meaningless. Park the name on Dan.com and install Google Analytics, which is free, then you find out what the real traffic is and where it comes from. Then consider what is worth doing.

There is a lot of out of date advice around from 10+ years ago when typeins meant good names could almost automatically earn, that is long gone.

•••
I wouldn't bother. It takes time, earnings are minimal, and it increases risk, as others have shown here. You really need to factor in the time it takes you to set it up, and the time and cost of any original content you might want. You could put in a big effort and earn next to nothing.

Sedo stats are totally unreliable and therefore meaningless. Park the name on Dan.com and install Google Analytics, which is free, then you find out what the real traffic is and where it comes from. Then consider what is worth doing.

There is a lot of out of date advice around from 10+ years ago when typeins meant good names could almost automatically earn, that is long gone.

Cheers for that, this is the kind of info Im after, to see if its really worth any time or effort, thanks

•••

What you are focusing on is type in and parking off that.

What you are missing is search. If he gets it ranked in top 10, he might be getting a) extra traffic, considerably more than type in; b) one of those searchers might be a potential buyer who did not have an idea how to name his startup.

Added bonus: less chance of udrp.

•••

Wordpress.org the good open-source free too

Wordpress .com one is paid and not as good

Great advice, Recon; Wordpress.org for life

Last edited:
•••
you could just forward the traffic it makes to one you already know makes revenue traffic, also.

•••
To get search traffic several factors come into play - it is cruel and competitive and if you look ugly to Google, they can not just punish you by pushing you to page 10, but de-index and blacklist you. So unless your search term is really unique - try googling one of your most unusual domains with quotemarks around it to test that - you need original content and links to the site, which have to be clean links, not dubious downratable ones. Otherwise you are a lost drop in the ocean.

So do you have the time, money, skills to generate original content and links to your site?

Sites with "thin content" don't do well in search, and ones with just affiliate content or just ads eventually disappear from search, probably hurting the domain's resale value.

Yes there are people who earn from parking and people who create content sites to boost a domain they plan to sell - I've done it, did earn, and don't think it's worth my time anymore, but may be for others. By the way, Amazon have drastically cut the % they pay to affiliates. Getting signed up to Ebay's API was a real struggle, but that one did pay best while it worked till Google delisted those sites.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back