Dynadot

advice Monetizing a domain....Any advice?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Hi all

I have this domain (IVG.com) and I wanted to monetize it in some way while it sits around waiting for a decent offer.

I have been selling names for years but never done any developing or monetizing of names.

I have Google alerts for "IVG" and I have recently been getting a lot of alerts about "In Vitro Gametogenesis" so I just thought that might be an option.

IVG = In Vitro Gametogenesis
https://www.freethink.com/videos/ivg-in-vitro-gametogenesis

Any suggestions or advice? It may be just wishful thinking but thought I would ask some of you experts :xf.smile:

Thanks in advance

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Because it is LLL you have to brand it as it will only get minimal generic traffic. Brands require work. Surely you have other names generic you can earn easier with.

•••
To get search traffic several factors come into play - it is cruel and competitive and if you look ugly to Google, they can not just punish you by pushing you to page 10, but de-index and blacklist you. So unless your search term is really unique - try googling one of your most unusual domains with quotemarks around it to test that - you need original content and links to the site, which have to be clean links, not dubious downratable ones. Otherwise you are a lost drop in the ocean.

So do you have the time, money, skills to generate original content and links to your site?

Sites with "thin content" don't do well in search, and ones with just affiliate content or just ads eventually disappear from search, probably hurting the domain's resale value.

Yes there are people who earn from parking and people who create content sites to boost a domain they plan to sell - I've done it, did earn, and don't think it's worth my time anymore, but may be for others. By the way, Amazon have drastically cut the % they pay to affiliates. Getting signed up to Ebay's API was a real struggle, but that one did pay best while it worked till Google delisted those sites.

Thanks, really appreciate the feedback.... going off the idea now 👍😉

•••
To get search traffic several factors come into play - it is cruel and competitive and if you look ugly to Google, they can not just punish you by pushing you to page 10, but de-index and blacklist you. So unless your search term is really unique - try googling one of your most unusual domains with quotemarks around it to test that - you need original content and links to the site, which have to be clean links, not dubious downratable ones. Otherwise you are a lost drop in the ocean.

So do you have the time, money, skills to generate original content and links to your site?

Sites with "thin content" don't do well in search, and ones with just affiliate content or just ads eventually disappear from search, probably hurting the domain's resale value.

Yes there are people who earn from parking and people who create content sites to boost a domain they plan to sell - I've done it, did earn, and don't think it's worth my time anymore, but may be for others. By the way, Amazon have drastically cut the % they pay to affiliates. Getting signed up to Ebay's API was a real struggle, but that one did pay best while it worked till Google delisted those sites.

Not sure why you are demotivating him. Are you a SEO expert? Have you built websites? There is no mystery about it. Google is not going to blacklist/delist for content. That is simply BS.

His term is not very popular one, doesn't have huge competition, and he has the exact match aged short .com. So he should be easily in top 10 with 5-10 unique articles that will cost him under $100 to order. So, basically, he can build the site and have articles in place for under $300 total, while learning valuable skills applicable elsewhere in the future.

•••
Google is not going to blacklist/delist for content. That is simply BS.
As said, what Google delists for is thin content with lots of affiliate links or ads, and yes I have experienced that. Basically they make clear in their public quality guidelines that they want to see original content: https://support.google.com/webmasters/answer/35769?hl=en - check out the list there.

At the end of the list they say this:
If your site violates one or more of these guidelines, then Google may take manual action against it.

•••
As said, what Google delists for is thin content with lots of affiliate links or ads, and yes I have experienced that. Basically they make clear in their public quality guidelines that they want to see original content: https://support.google.com/webmasters/answer/35769?hl=en - check out the list there.

At the end of the list they say this:

You are obviously confused. Of course, it is reasonable and expected that a bogus page with lots of links and ads deserves to be banned.

But you missed the point that the advice was to create a good content with reasonable amount of ads. Also, why does he have to have thin content??? It costs only $5-20 to order decent unique articles of 500-1000 words.

You apparently share your experience where you have tried to game Google and got delisted, I am sharing my experience where I create sites with content and get very good search traffic. I don't believe you should be discouraging others based on your experience.

•••
OP asked how to monetise a site. People have given him opinions and info. Up to him to decide whether investing time and money will bring a return, or if the return justifies the input.

It is a common question here, and there is a lot of old info around that makes it sound like there is a parking or monetisation goldmine - there isn't, it takes knowledge and work with no guarantee of success. I have nothing more to add here, unsubscribing, best of luck to you Giles - I value your posts and experience.

•••
take this time to develop your skills, setup hosting, relearn Joomla & use affiliate links....take control

an example is BIYJ.com

Cheers
Corey

•••
I guess you can also search for adsense partners - I read that you can enter the codes on an empty webpage. Guess it depends on trafffic volume as well.

•••
I guess you can also search for adsense partners - I read that you can enter the codes on an empty webpage. Guess it depends on trafffic volume as well.
For blank page (no content) only 10mln visits for month (Google API)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back