NameSilo

.tv Moda.tv SOLD for $30,000!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
We just sold Moda.tv in a private sale for $30,000! It is a standard renewal domain and we have held the domain for about 3 years. It also means Fashion in Spanish! We are in the process of trying to obtain the right documentation to provide to Ron!

Kind Regards,
A

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
Ammar, do you guys also broker .tv names?

can i be in touch, if i have to sell any of my .tv names?

Unfortunately, I do not broker names. That's not my strength. If I have a deal on the line, I call the buyer on the phone and feel them out -- I can literally tell in a conversation if they have cash, how motivated they are and also raise price based on scarcity and the value of the domain name. Secondly, I space my assets out in different price buckets. Honestly, there are some names I want 500-750K and it doesn't matter what offer comes. If it's not there, PASS.

Not being arrogant, but the point is we can afford to hold out. Some names may sell for 5K and you make a great ROI. Nothing wrong with it. All depends on what your risk is, what you want for ROI and if there is something else to place it in that generates higher ROI.

Again, this is just my opinion and I advise others to do their own due diligence.

A

•••
One thing that those new to the .TV space should realize is that five-figure .TV domain sales are not the norm so to use a baseball analogy constantly trying to hit a home run can result in a lot of strikeouts. Example - today I replied to three companies which expressed at least some interest (How much?) on a one-word fashion-related .TV domain priced $XXXX. However, I have been striking out a lot even with $XXXX quotes and offering a monthly lease equivalent to 2% of the sales price.

•••
One thing that those new to the .TV space should realize is that five-figure .TV domain sales are not the norm so to use a baseball analogy constantly trying to hit a home run can result in a lot of strikeouts. Example - today I replied to three companies which expressed at least some interest (How much?) on a one-word fashion-related .TV domain priced $XXXX. However, I have been striking out a lot even with $XXXX quotes and offering a monthly lease equivalent to 2% of the sales price.

Depends on how you define a strikeout. Is that a low XXXX sale? To me, if the ROI is there, take it and keep spinning the cash. I am not a volume holder of .tv's and have started to see the floor or true end user .tv's occur around the 20-25K range.

A

•••
Strikeout means after quoting a price they don't respond. Sometimes I will follow up with "Are you still interested?" but when doing so the answer has been "No." However, as someone else on the forum once stated, it is a totally different approach to have someone contact you inquiring about a name vs. doing outbound marketing. If an end user contacts you they have already decided they want that name unless your price is ridiculous. If you contact them, they just may be curious but they are doing just fine without your name so their willingness to pay is not the same.

•••
Congratulations. You deserve that, really.
And btw, your portfolio is absolutely impressive.

•••
Ammar and I don't broker names, and we don't do any outbound marketing. Part of that is we both have families, and part of that is we feel our time is best spent looking for deals to buy. I really think .tv will see a 7 figure sale in the near future, we have names IMO that can do that such as P.tv, Channel.tv, with the right end-users. In the meantime, got to hit those "singles", 5-10K sales to get bread on the table. Also, almost all brokers have been a waste of time, and many unethical, be very careful of many brokers, 95% are full of shit. In fat, they they say they will promote our names, but really they are just trying to sells us other .tv names. All I can say, is don't ignore the foreign languages, Europeans, Asians, love .tv such more than USA. About 90% of our sales are outside of the US. Anyways, .tv future is bright, even with Verisign trying everything they can do to F*ck it up. Keep looking for those deals, there out there, don't worry about what others think, .tv is here to stay!!! Good luck!

•••
Congratulations!

FYI, moda means fashion in Italian in the first place, Spanish, Portuguese, Polish, Turkish and many others...

•••
Michal,
Moda definitely has the same meaning in other languages. One of the considerations for us selling
Congratulations!

FYI, moda means fashion in Italian in the first place, Spanish, Portuguese, Polish, Turkish and many others...

We were definitely aware of the other languages that Moda was used in. One of the reasons we may have "undersold" the domain was due to possible international trademarks. We figured lets take the nice ROI and not get greedy in the chances we would have to go the UDRP route.

A

•••
In any case I really agree with your strategy about selling high.
In my case there is a "psychological" aspect. If I refuse an high XX.XXX$ sale (it happened) and in the future I will not sell the domain.. I'll regret but I can live with it.
If I accept that offer and than some years later the domain sell for mid XXX.XXX$ I can't accept the lost opportunity.
Obviously it's something you can do only if you really believe in your domain value.

•••
In any case I really agree with your strategy about selling high.
In my case there is a "psychological" aspect. If I refuse an high XX.XXX$ sale (it happened) and in the future I will not sell the domain.. I'll regret but I can live with it.
If I accept that offer and than some years later the domain sell for mid XXX.XXX$ I can't accept the lost opportunity.
Obviously it's something you can do only if you really believe in your domain value.

Donnie,
That is a good philosophy but the one thing to be careful is if you keep holding out and you never hit singles to pay bills or renewals. This becomes dangerous and can cause for over leverage. As long as you are aware of this and comfortable, you are good to go. At the end of the day, there will always be times when others make larger margins and in some cases where you don't receive offers on names you should.

•••
Donnie,
That is a good philosophy but the one thing to be careful is if you keep holding out and you never hit singles to pay bills or renewals. This becomes dangerous and can cause for over leverage. As long as you are aware of this and comfortable, you are good to go. At the end of the day, there will always be times when others make larger margins and in some cases where you don't receive offers on names you should.

Totally agree with you.
In my opinion for each name one should have a "target" price in mind and should seek for what you think it's worth. This means not asking XX.XXX for any name, but for the right one don't accept offer under the value you think is the correct one.
For example a couple of years ago I refused 40K for Hosting and I don't regret about it while I regret to have refused 500$ for a low-value domain..

•••
Totally agree with you.
In my opinion for each name one should have a "target" price in mind and should seek for what you think it's worth. This means not asking XX.XXX for any name, but for the right one don't accept offer under the value you think is the correct one.
For example a couple of years ago I refused 40K for Hosting and I don't regret about it while I regret to have refused 500$ for a low-value domain..

Donnie,
This is exactly our thinking. You need to find what that comfort zone is. Also, look for low hanging fruit. I remember when I first started in this business, I was extremely fearful of premium regs. I would use my computer and wake up every morning and punch my computer to win an Enom drop. I successfully registered Vienna.tv for $500/yr. I was thinking, WOW, lot's of money. I need to sell or I am screwed! Well, one day I went to Sedo and saw that Wien.tv sold for 9-10K. The buyer was German speaking and Wien was the German version of Vienna. I sent an email to the buyer and he couldn't understand. I quickly contacted Sedo and said I will pay you commission if you can sell my name to this German buyer. 45 days later, I turned $500 into $7500. Nice flip, no premium anymore, built my confidence and paid for portfolio renewal costs.

A

•••
I could use a broker also for .tv domains.
Concerning the specific domainname => Spanish is a big language spoken by an enormous amount of people.
I think in 5 years time there will be a lot of more spanish internetters thatn now is the case.

•••
great ,
where did you sell it?

•••
great ,
where did you sell it?

This was a bit of outbound marketing -- something we do not do as often. In the end, it was a win/win for both buyer and seller.

A

•••
Documentation has been provided to Ron Jackson, so I am waiting for his confirmation.

A

•••
As someone who has brokered several .tv domains the problem becomes that people see a big sale like Live or Fashion and send you 100 fresh regs and want $10,000.

One time someone came to me and told me they were starving, not figuratively but literally. (Their words) They had a hand reg name that I could get a friend who liked the niche to pay $150 as a favor to me, I figure the person told me they were literally starving, this name was nothing special, they tell me I won't take nothing less than $2,000. Well needless to say they continued to starve and the name dropped months later. You cannot get 0 when you could get something.

I know what you are talking about Donnie that balance of how much will I get pissed if I sell a domain for $1,000 that I later see Ammar sell for $100,000.

I remember years back when this place was busy everyday, at the beginning when not many people had good .tv names. I did a post on numbers spelled out one through ten in English, German, French and Spanish.

I regged three German names Eins 1, Sechs 6, and Acht 8. After a couple years and no interest I dropped Acht not sure why since 8 is my favorite number, but I did, James Barclay regged it and JohnTV helped him sell it for $10,000. John took the initial offer from $2,500 up to $10,000.
Now I am always honest with myself, I try not to think I would have done something different, James was like thanks for being so gracious on missing out on a $10,000 sale. I said no prob and happy for you but I missed out on $2,500 sale because I had no strong feelings for the name, 0 traffic and 0 interest, I would have not even countered on a name like that because the price was so to my liking. From a psychological standpoint I would have never risked losing $2,500 on a name that held no strong meaning to me.

Others I can say I would always counter and if I don't get, then I don't get, like I own Deux.tv 2 in French which has always been my favorite of this bunch of foreign one through ten names. That name has gotten offers that I turned down because I would be really pissed to see it sold for $10,00o to $30,000 on DN Journal.

•••
There is a .Moda extension coming too Ammar, so I think you and Jim were smart to sell. Best of luck with the cash.

•••
There is a .Moda extension coming too Ammar, so I think you and Jim were smart to sell. Best of luck with the cash.

For us, it was important to take cash off the table and look at higher yielding assets. Most people will think I am crazy, but I can't find a better yielding ROI for the cost -- not even .com. Some of the funds were used to help purchase Exotic.tv. :)

A

•••
As someone who has brokered several .tv domains the problem becomes that people see a big sale like Live or Fashion and send you 100 fresh regs and want $10,000.

One time someone came to me and told me they were starving, not figuratively but literally. (Their words) They had a hand reg name that I could get a friend who liked the niche to pay $150 as a favor to me, I figure the person told me they were literally starving, this name was nothing special, they tell me I won't take nothing less than $2,000. Well needless to say they continued to starve and the name dropped months later. You cannot get 0 when you could get something.

I know what you are talking about Donnie that balance of how much will I get pissed if I sell a domain for $1,000 that I later see Ammar sell for $100,000.

I remember years back when this place was busy everyday, at the beginning when not many people had good .tv names. I did a post on numbers spelled out one through ten in English, German, French and Spanish.

I regged three German names Eins 1, Sechs 6, and Acht 8. After a couple years and no interest I dropped Acht not sure why since 8 is my favorite number, but I did, James Barclay regged it and JohnTV helped him sell it for $10,000. John took the initial offer from $2,500 up to $10,000.
Now I am always honest with myself, I try not to think I would have done something different, James was like thanks for being so gracious on missing out on a $10,000 sale. I said no prob and happy for you but I missed out on $2,500 sale because I had no strong feelings for the name, 0 traffic and 0 interest, I would have not even countered on a name like that because the price was so to my liking. From a psychological standpoint I would have never risked losing $2,500 on a name that held no strong meaning to me.

Others I can say I would always counter and if I don't get, then I don't get, like I own Deux.tv 2 in French which has always been my favorite of this bunch of foreign one through ten names. That name has gotten offers that I turned down because I would be really pissed to see it sold for $10,00o to $30,000 on DN Journal.

This is the exact problem. People want to walk before they crawl. Then they get pissed off when you tell them the market or their name is not bearing the asking price. They reject the offer and don't get shit for the next few years. Frustration and remorse build in and they say the extension is worthless. Sometimes generating a sale gets you on the board. That's all you need for the next flurry of sales to occur and it allows you to buy time.

•••
Congrats! But I just don't see how???? I sometimes question some of these sales and think to myself how is it that no one was interested in the 3 years you had and then all of a sudden you found a buyer for $30,000?!

•••
Congrats! But I just don't see how???? I sometimes question some of these sales and think to myself how is it that no one was interested in the 3 years you had and then all of a sudden you found a buyer for $30,000?!

I never said we did not have any offers in three years. We had lots of interest and offers in the domain name. They just were not anywhere near the asking price. Quite frankly, we were asking for much higher than 30K, but for reasons specified earlier, we decided to take the ROI and move on.

Hope this helps.

A

•••
Happens all the time especially with many non premium generic sales, get that one time event and that leads to a sale often as the owner knows there has not been much interest. Happens with M.U.P.s (Made Up Pronounceables) all the time, there have been names dropped 5 times lucky number 6 registrant hand regs and X,xxx sale.

•••
Just received word from Ron Jackson that paperwork is good to go! I am asking if it will be published in this week's sales.

Keep it moving!

A

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back