IT.COM

.mobi .mobi dead or .mobi on NP dead ?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
I visited here every day.But seems no more news here.

.mobi dead or .mobi on NP dead ?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
12 pages of the same argument that has been raging for 2 1/2 years and one page of limericks. Wow.

Aftermarket values for all domains and specifically .mobi are very low at this time - that's not news. So, most of the people holding .mobi porfolios have realized that it's imperative to become not just domainers, but also developers. As many of the people in this section frequently remind us, this is a domainer's forum. So, when the domainers become developers, and are reminded that this is a domainers forum, and are berated for expanding the definition of .mobi value beyond simple flipping/reselling, and when every single thread becomes an argument for same, why would anyone serious about moving forward want to keep arguing and moving backwards?

Parking is dead for all but the choicest keyword domains. Even those with primarily .com portfolios are learning wordpress, using that AEIOU thing, WhyPark and anything else. The developer who said he didn't want to help in this section anymore probably felt that he was in the wrong place to do what he does best - help people learn to develop sites. If the vocal majority in the domain-flipping-only-so-mobi-is-dead crowd keep shouting down the developers, the developers leave. Simple as that.

So, snoop who sees the world from a viewpoint of pure domaining is right, mobi is dead. For now, let's say I agree with that from his perspective as wanting immediate ROI. I, as the blogger behind mobienthusiast.mobi (with a dot com redirected to the .mobi), see the world from the viewpoint of redirects as a legitimate business practice and a service to the consumer, and developed mobi sites as a guarantee that a site will work on a phone, am also right - mobi is fantastic for what it was designed to do - make sites mobile. If enough of that happens, consumers will "get it." We're nowhere near a tipping point, but when we get there, (when, not if) I expect the pure domainers will have corporations and developers to thank. There is a lot of work being done behind the scenes to make it happen. It's just a question now of holding the right portfolio and not going broke on renewals to see a payoff.

You have hit the nail on the head Coast, without development the domainers are screwed.
(and that goes for every single extension in existence).
Thankfully, there are a lot of mobi projects being developed around the world and as you say, it is 'when' and not 'if' the masses 'get' dotmobi.

Great Blog by the way! :snaphappy:

•••
So, most of the people holding .mobi porfolios have realized that it's imperative to become not just domainers, but also developers.

I see it a little differently. I own .com domains hand regged in the late 90's. I have sold names that I owned for 10 years. When I purchased my .mobi domains I had no intention of flipping them. I have every expectation that the price and demand for these domains will appreciate as the mobile web grows. Am I understand the timeline to a mature mobile web. therefor why sell before these names reach their potential?

So development was never a plan B. Also owning several mtld premium names with development requirements means that development was not a plan B there either.

Personally I am not interested in making back 1, 2, 3, 4, 10x reg fee/year from parking, I would rather build something substantial and potentially make substantial income. You can do that with .mobi, because generic mobi domains are still affordable.

•••
Great Blog by the way! :snaphappy:

Thanks, I try.

@mo_dork I am a bit confused, are you saying that you purchased your names with the intent to buy and hold for ten years undeveloped, or that you always intended to develop?

Many of the people I know purchased .mobi names just to resell the names, but then when there was no parking revenue decided the game had changed and learned joomla, drupal, wordpress, xhtml/css, or went with site.mobi or other similar services. It wasn't their original intention to develop, it happened as a byproduct of wanting their domain names to become more valuable. Then some of the developers learned about the value of domain names and became domainers. I've witnessed a real hybridization of skills within the context of .mobi, and I've seen genuine friendships develop as people taught each other their skills.

Of course, everyone is entitled to their own opinions and I am opposed to censorship of an exchange of ideas, especially when some people who dislike the domain name back up their reasons with facts and figures. It wouldn't be fair to tell the people who don't like .mobi that they can't post, but it's equally unfair for so many threads where people are trying to collaborate get derailed by people who jump in and say they don't like .mobi. I don't envy Reece or any of the other mods here who have to keep breaking up fights.

It's unfortunate that there is so much fighting on this forum, because it does attract a large audience. That said, the "us versus them" mentality is really too draining for people like me who just want people to get along and get to work. That's why I rarely post in this section anymore.

•••
I personally don't mind the fighting.
In all honesty I am more confident about .mobi every month, and looking forward to what lies ahead. I, like you devour the massive stream of news and developments in the world of mobile, it surely is an exciting place to be.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back