Dynadot

Mis-Spelled domain lessons

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
The Domain Mis-spelling sector is not an easy one and newbies should stay far away. I remember a fantastic thread here about the validity of this artform and inspired I tried a few:

The Biggest lesson learned was that the (target) site you are trying to get misspelled type ins from must BE huge.

BMWmotorcucles.com is Alexa ranked 30K spring - 70K winter. NOT even close enough traffic to fuel this type in. BMVmotorcycles.com isnt doing any better. (both will cover their renewal but not a cent profit so its thanks and goodbye for them)

Then I went for bigger traffic targets:

CommissionJunktion.com - I guess everybody, even first timers know it's CJ.com and/or know how to spell junction.

It would make for a funny CJ bashing site for angry ex publishers to vent out.

The 3rd attempt was

teleaby.com - the target site - Telebay.com is slowly climbing at 22K. (alexa) Maybe one day they'll become superbowl advertisers if their concept works. It just might - See our report:

http://www.fleege.com/buyerguide/Telebay.html

So I think I am done with typo domains. I leave that to the real pros.

I wish there was a tool to find out how many times an url is typed in before regging it. :) I guess that would kill the market right away anyway.

Typo domains - NOT for me. Beware and good luck!

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
my 2c.
just want to remind about downlaod.com, which had been purchased at obvious price last year by somebody. (it has 2200 ovt with extension).
also really good advice for newbies. stay avay from misspellings or typos. there is some professionals working in that area with developed system to find right misspellings. i have been reading a lot about some techniques. you take for example word poker and type it really fast about 1000 times in exel. and than look to the mistakes you made most of the time. and than check that misspelled word with extension for ovt. for example i was checking word poker and got porker 500 times out of 1000. when go to ovt and check ovt for porker.com. if any ovt is there , than you found it. there is also some ready programms developing typos for you
lesson number 3. never buy anything else but .com if you are targeting typos.

Last edited:
•••
No professional types domains/terms over and over again in Excel. It's a simple task to code a script which generates likely misspellings and then checks them using Google, Overture, Wordtracker, etc results.

•••
•••
I currently own Maguc.com, a very easy typo of Magic.com

There is however no site at Magic.com currently so traffic is severely limited. The domain Magic.com expires in a few months so hopefully somebody will snap it up and develop it, and then value of my domain will increase. Still gets 30 type-ins per month purely because Magic.com is such a premium domain.

•••
•••
My GoDuabi.com experiment worked. The domain is continuing to get an ok stream of type in traffic. namedrive only seem to pay 3 cents for arabic IPs but hey - maybe I should make a mini Dubai site myself. So thanks for the dubai idea and following a Typo system. Or maybe I move it to Sedo. They should be the best for far far away international traffic.

BUT hey - the point remains - Leave typo domaining to the pros. I will too. It's hard man, its hard...

•••
Warning! Do not visit the website listed in this post as it’s full of unnecessary popups and downloadable programs.

Perhaps the most popular typo of all time is Goggle.com which has an OVT of 256,326 with extension. The site is loaded with unwanted pops and install programs and is IMHO one of the biggest headaches online. Of course, it’s a real word and the site makes no attempt to confuse visitors with any similarity to Google.com search site, so its likely to continue to operate.

Regards,
Kimmy

•••
I own close to 40 non TM typos, all business related and all generate significant amount of traffic (30-40 uniques/day for the lowest and 2500-3000/day for the highest traffic)...80% hand regged and the rest through pool & enom drop... costing 60-100 each...
Revenue is a little over $3K/month over the past 6-10 months...

What do these names have in common?
All the correctly spelled names have very high OVT w/ext.
Some of the typos have low OVT w/ext
None are ranked in Alexa
All keywords have above average bids on OVT and Adwords.
The typos are 1 letter misspelled and the typo letter is the letter on the keyboard right next to the correct letter.

And on this note while Alexa is useful in determining popularity among surfers with the toolbar installed, it is one of the most useless tools for determining type-in traffic which is the type of traffic you are trying catch in the first place by regging typos.

Anyway I've stopped regging typos for the moment, there's too much research time required and I have found better ways to generate revenue with less effort.

•••
thanks for the advice, i think this wil help me in the future w/ domains :)

•••
unholy1 said:
None are ranked in Alexa

And on this note while Alexa is useful in determining popularity among surfers with the toolbar installed, it is one of the most useless tools for determining type-in traffic which is the type of traffic you are trying catch in the first place by regging typos.

Nice typo income.

Re Alexa. Ofcourse your typo site doesnt need to be ranked on ALEXA but your typo target site should.

Alexa is good to determine big sites. Sure a web related site could be ranked very high But you would know that by looking at it. ie if its all just about webmaster stuff it might have an unjust ranking - or if the owner is just alexa obesessed and wants his/hers site ranked high it can easily be manipulated. But overall alexa is very accurate. (for big sites at least)

•••
Fleege said:
Nice typo income.

Re Alexa. Ofcourse your typo site doesnt need to be ranked on ALEXA but your typo target site should.

Alexa is good to determine big sites. Sure a web related site could be ranked very high But you would know that by looking at it. ie if its all just about webmaster stuff it might have an unjust ranking - or if the owner is just alexa obesessed and wants his/hers site ranked high it can easily be manipulated. But overall alexa is very accurate. (for big sites at least)

When it comes to the top 100-400 sites, yes I agree that alexa is quite accurate, but then the good typos for those sites are already long gone... and quite a lot them going at the drop auctions at very high prices.

And my typo target sites are not ranked in Alexa, the highest and only one being ranked over 4 million.

•••
As I mentioned earlier, I have a typo that gets 40-80 views per day. But it's not generating any clicks ...

Should I go with "Poker" in the hope of getting the odd high value click, or something relevant to the typo (which in theory would bring more, lower value clicks).

•••
unholy1 said:
When it comes to the top 100-400 sites, yes I agree that alexa is quite accurate, but then the good typos for those sites are already long gone... and quite a lot them going at the drop auctions at very high prices.

And my typo target sites are not ranked in Alexa, the highest and only one being ranked over 4 million.

Ok so maybe they are foreign language sites. If they are English and in particular North American sites and do not have an alexa ranking -- they are not getting much traffic - let alone generating typo traffic.

•••
Fleege said:
Ok so maybe they are foreign language sites. If they are English and in particular North American sites and do not have an alexa ranking -- they are not getting much traffic - let alone generating typo traffic.

Well actually they're all North american and a couple of UK sites. All medium sized sized financial and lending institutions. I certainly wouldn't earn anything from none US traffic, learned that long time ago... and have not regged any non Us traffic names in the past 8 months. Non US traffic does not convert well in PPC.

•••
Well great lesson then.

Wow - I am impressed. Well it goes to show - If the typo is "good enough" and the subject category is high paying one it works well with small traffic sites as well.

Excellent - Thanks for the great input - I guess you put a lot of typo newbies including me back into the typo pool.

But if something is working for you to the point of $3K a month with no work after set up - wouldnt it be worth repeating. I'd pay top dollars to know what it is that you will want to do instead. 9no you dont need to disclose)

Cheers and thanks.

•••
I am curious,
How do I know if a typo will get traffic or not? Is OVT a reliable marker?

I also have the feeling that all the good typos are long gone.... is this true?

•••
Fleege said:
Well great lesson then.

Wow - I am impressed. Well it goes to show - If the typo is "good enough" and the subject category is high paying one it works well with small traffic sites as well.

Excellent - Thanks for the great input - I guess you put a lot of typo newbies including me back into the typo pool.

But if something is working for you to the point of $3K a month with no work after set up - wouldnt it be worth repeating. I'd pay top dollars to know what it is that you will want to do instead. 9no you dont need to disclose)

Cheers and thanks.

Looking for good typos is not an easy task, as it involves a lot of research. If it was easy then I would have over 400 and not just 40 (well only 39, just rounding off) but yes it would be worth repeating but this niche is becoming saturated requiring more than a little more effort to continue.

A few simple tips (no secrets here as it's been discussed in the past over different forums and I had learned these from reading through them) to choosing Good typos:

1. The Original site should receive a considerable amount of traffic but not necessarily the highest, since the typos to most of these are gone (but a lot of them show up in the drop auctions).
The best tool to use are overture keyword selector tool ( http://searchmarketing.yahoo.com/rc/srch/ ) and in some cases Alexa ranked sites (but I have mentioned Alexa as a whole is pretty much useless since you'll have to dig deep into Alexa since the typos of the top 500 are most likely taken, which to me is a waste of time unless you buy the list of top 10,000 ranked sites for $999 or top 100,000 for $2,475). Although I did last year, buy the top 10,000 for research purposes and after 3 weeks of going through it lost interest since it was not giving me the results I wanted. (It is pretty useful for getting site ideas though).

2. The typo should be a single letter typos, the typo letters on the keyboard should be right next to each other, missed letters, etc...
some of the better typos are those names with double letters i.e businnes or bussiness, etc as these are some of the most common typos errors

A good tool to use would be sTypo as this comes with an OVT checker.

3. The keyword traffic which you are intending to catch should have decent bid values (use Adwords and Overture Bid Tool to check), in my case I stuck to business and finance related typos which have anywhere from $1 upto $45, since I read the business news (online and magazines) everyday as part of my breakfast routine and had a better understanding of the topics.

4. Check the origin of the traffic of the original site, US and north america are the highest paid traffic in PPC, UK and western Europe come in next and the rest, try to avoid, they're only good for CPM.

5. Check the quality of the typo, and how would you do this? Choose typos where the surfer trying to go to the original site is looking something specific and the inventory of the PPC provider is sufficient for that particular category.

As for TM typos? well i have avoided them but I know quite a few domaineers that go after them and probably make a hell of a lot from them. I know one domaineer in particular that makes more money from one TM typo than I do for all my non TM typos. The choice to regging these would be up to you.

And as for what I'm doing instead, well it's buying revenue sites (using the money I made from PPC), putting up gambling affiliate sites (forwarding the useless chinese traffic names I purchased way back to these and putting the CPM pop-ups to very good use) and other small ventures I'll keep to myself for now. I do on occasions pick up bargain potential traffic names from pool dutch aution at $8 (30-40% hitting percentage as a whole but I have gotten lucky on some names which pays for all the renewal fees of my entire portfolio and then some)

Last edited:
•••
THANKS for sharing.

REP ADDED and so should every person reading unholy1s last post.

peyperread imo.

:)

You should make a typo domain ebook. Or maybe thats what you are doing that has more potential...

•••
Rep added, thank you so much for the advice!!!

•••
Another successful typo registered based on Unholy's excellent 5 step advice.

Sorry cant disclose the name but I wanted say thanks and praise the source. Rep already added.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back