Dynadot

Mis-Spelled domain lessons

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
The Domain Mis-spelling sector is not an easy one and newbies should stay far away. I remember a fantastic thread here about the validity of this artform and inspired I tried a few:

The Biggest lesson learned was that the (target) site you are trying to get misspelled type ins from must BE huge.

BMWmotorcucles.com is Alexa ranked 30K spring - 70K winter. NOT even close enough traffic to fuel this type in. BMVmotorcycles.com isnt doing any better. (both will cover their renewal but not a cent profit so its thanks and goodbye for them)

Then I went for bigger traffic targets:

CommissionJunktion.com - I guess everybody, even first timers know it's CJ.com and/or know how to spell junction.

It would make for a funny CJ bashing site for angry ex publishers to vent out.

The 3rd attempt was

teleaby.com - the target site - Telebay.com is slowly climbing at 22K. (alexa) Maybe one day they'll become superbowl advertisers if their concept works. It just might - See our report:

http://www.fleege.com/buyerguide/Telebay.html

So I think I am done with typo domains. I leave that to the real pros.

I wish there was a tool to find out how many times an url is typed in before regging it. :) I guess that would kill the market right away anyway.

Typo domains - NOT for me. Beware and good luck!

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Good advice for the newbie. I reg'd a typo about a year ago and it did absolutely nothing. You're right, the domain has to be huge for a typo to work, and there's some pros out there that have snapped them up a while ago. Good post.

•••
I have a typo for a top 100 alexa site. I have been similarly disappointed in traffic and revenue.

•••
This should be like a "classic" post or something - that thing about the typo tool is just priceless! :hehe:

Last edited:
•••
the high traffic (or high alexa whatever) is a must but the TYPO too must be an easy-to-do one.

Would be nice to see other peoples examples of typo hit or misses.

THE COOLEST thing is that when you reg them and set up your parking spot you will know right away if you got a hit. If traffic aint coming - you wont be making any money with it - and low/no traffic typos arent bought/sold.

•••
Well, let me jump.

I have a typo. I did not look at its alexa rank. Well while alexa rank may have some significance to tell about the original name, it does not tell anything about the typo. I guess the following points could be useful.

1. Longer names 2. Difficult spellings 3. popular sites that attract mostly non web people. Since most of the web related guys have sites bookmarked or better typing.
4. And the typo letters better be side by side on the keyboard.

Well, I did not check any of these points but regged one long name at yahoo (lol, cheap for 2.99, not much loss) and in the last 3 months it earned 3 yrs worth of reg money. So I am fine with it. But I dont intend to play with typos as I am not good at them. One good catch would have been typos of milliondollarhomepage.com

my 2 cents,

Gamehouse

•••
if this helps for any newbs

if it ends with ing get it without the i

never use alexa as a reliable measuring tool

never add various letters think about droping a letter especialy double characters

I know how to spell dropping and especially the above were for example purposes only.

lastly if you have a limited budget stay away from typos use your money for something that may eventually make you some money.

•••
I have a typo of top 30 website. It brings 50-70 visitors a month. It pays for itself, plus some profit. Nothing to rave about.

•••
Teleaby.com is not just a typo domain. its also kinda a speculation...speculating that the site and their free mall to everyone will take off. I will be keeping in an eye on their alexa ranking.

Alexa is just fine for big sites. Sure you can manipulate any aite in to the top 100K but who would bother and why?

I have alexa being pretty accurate. Of course it favors US and UK based sites + computer related sites more geeks have toolbars than anyone else.

I am planning to try one more typo domain. I'll let you know soon after regging.

Anybody else with some hits or misses.

•••
Great topic - I just reg'd Duabi.info - Dubaii.info & Dhubai.info less than 2 weeks ago - I thought at 1.99 each they may work out but it's too early to tell - no plans to sell but I was interested to see if they make any profit in the first year ??

I only have 1 other poker typo I got in a drop that looks like it will pay for itself soon :)

•••
The good and the sad thing about the typo business is that IT IS NOT too early to tell. You pretty much know right away... If you arent getting hits as soon as your dns are changed you are not going get them later either.

The few hours after putting a typo parked page live are very exiting. If you are going to make good money you need hits pretty right away.

The people who try to sell typo domain with - NOT SURE ABOUT TRAFFIC YET - are full of crap. I wouldnt touch a name stated like that with a ten foot pole.

I like what gamehouse said about internet/web type domains. where users are a bit more keyboard and bookmark savvy. I think thats true. But we are also always in a hurry. (as I am back editing this post's typos)

I will tomorrow reveal my latest and also my last (if it doesnt work) typo attempt. Stay tuned.

anybody else with any success stories. Good luck on duabi info thing. Is the "real" dubai.info a big site? If not seach dubai and then look for the biggest dubai keyword site -- that hasnt covered that typo.

ANOTHER key element in typo research is to see how many google results that typo generates. If not many, then chances are people dont make that mistake much.

Last edited:
•••
I agree, all my typos are not performing, either I am not doing the right thing, or the odds really small.

•••
I'm pretty happy with these two typos I picked up:

atlnta.com and pxel.com

•••
Ok - the overnight results are in on my last typo attempt.

I work in advertising and I know that I spell advertising wrong at least daily. According to my quick google research the most common way to mis-spell it is advertsing - So I thought about big sites with advertising in the domain. A top 5k alexa site came to mind. FreeAdvertisingForum.com - If you dont know its a free place to place classified ads - But in a forum format - nobody ever talks over there - so the posts die out in about 30 minutes. Its total crap as far as forums go. The only reason I know of them is that I have one of my domains parked as a free info mall that you get when you sign up for the free forum. You dont need a domain for your info mall but hey - we all have one to spare. The mall does ok and you are allowed to put 2 banners on your mall site + a pop up of your choice, Money you make through clickbank id and amazon id. If you are interested check out my info mall - www.instantwiz.com (the domain fits since its all about ebooks)

ANYWAY - the typo i regged (luckily I did a cheap yahoo 2.99 domain) is
freeadvertsingforum.com

so no hits to speak of. I guess all that traffic are repeat users who have the url bookmarked or cached... oh well.

The parked site might later draw a few search result visits after the page is indexed and hits the SEs. But I am not holding my breath.

I swear NO MORE TYPO ATTEMPTS.. (unless the idea is really good :)

•••
The info's did get hits straight away but not much

duabi - 12
dubaii - 5
dhubai - 6

nothing to get excited about yet - I think tourist related domains will probably do better nearer the typical tourist season.
There has been as many views to the listing as there has been uniques :hehe:

•••
Not crazy about tools like sTypo. While technically not a typo, I like finding a developed site that appears to get good traffic and has a non TM, generic name - (eg, planetgame.net) and reg the plural. I collect the misguided traffic. :)

•••
Fleege said:
I wish there was a tool to find out how many times an url is typed in before regging it. :) I guess that would kill the market right away anyway.
Kill the market? Yikes, it would kill the Web! Who would want to use it if there was some central authority that could monitor every keystroke put into the address bar?
Fleege said:
The good and the sad thing about the typo business is that IT IS NOT too early to tell. You pretty much know right away... If you arent getting hits as soon as your dns are changed you are not going get them later either.
This is absolutely true.

It's also a key factor in getting close that typo squatters “holy grail” of knowing traffic before forking out money. A number of registrars allow you to cancel a name within a few days of registering it. If the registrar is a crook you're in bed with then all the easier. So you register a name, wait a couple days, and if you aren't getting traffic you just dump it and don't pay.

So what do you do if you aren't a crook and you don't know any crooks who run a registrar? Well you generally don't register typos since they usually infringe on someone else's trademark. So lets say you're a poor crook with no friends at any registrars.

The big crooks pull this scam all the time. If you look at the number of names registered and added to the com zone file which disappear completely after a few days you can get an idea of just how often this scam is pulled (thousands of times a day) You can use this to your advantage.

Simply compile a daily list of all typos that drop within a week or so of being registered. These are crap names. The big boys have tested them out and found them to be useless. As a general rule that means they will earn less then $6.25/year. You can now remove anything on these lists from lists of names you are considering Odds are this will cut your list down from hundreds of names to a handful

•••
What kind of traffic would indicate a good typo domain? I just bought one that has 41 uniques in the first 24 hours. But one click and 10c revenue (it's at sedo).

Is it worth considering other parking outfits like fabulous for that kind of traffic?

•••
41 in 24hours is good. You should be able to do ok with the domain and I would park it at namedrive. If the typo is new - the numbers should go up once you start to get search traffic as well. But 41 type ins in 24 is excellent. Nothing to quit your day job over but about but It should be a healthy member of a portfolio.

•••
A couple of months ago I stumbled upon a typo, reg'd it, parked it, and started getting hits almost immediately. It was the first time I ever tried a typo and was shocked to see that it was earning $2-3 a click. I was WAY happy!

Since then I've picked up quite a few additional variations and combinations (20+). Though I'd say 99% are "second quality" typos, most manage to get one or two hits a day. I've got to figure that the guys that got the prime "first quality" typos must be making a fortune as about a quarter of my original typo portfolio averages a 33% CTR even if the number of hits are low.

This has obviously fueled additional experimentation with typos but I've yet to find anything that even comes close to the success I'm having with the original core group, or generate more than just reg fees.

As suggested in another post in this thread, I'll let the non-performers lapse at the end of their registration. (Hmmm... Maybe I should come back and list them for sale...)

One other note, I also used Overtures KW tool to check the frequency and variations people might be using for my original typo name and discovered that no one searched for my #1 performing word (hits and clicks) but they did search for my #'s 2 and 3. You just never know...

Last edited:
•••
primacomputer said:
A number of registrars allow you to cancel a name within a few days of registering it.

Good post primaComputer. I wish I had known this -

Typo domaining is very intriguing. It's such a possible MONEY equation. I guess that's the appeal but as we see here it is also very difficult nut to crack. We all think we can crack this typo business.

But like TestCase stated: Success fuels more testing... so it never ends.

•••
There is one thing I don't understand in typo domain business: from where money should come in.
If I misstype a domain, as soon I realize I am on the wrong page I retype it corrected.
I think most of the people do the same, I couldn't understand who and why, being in the wrong site,one would click some ad or some link there.... maybe one could have setup a typo site that show some interesting content for few of those whose, even having realized they are in the wrong place they would find interesting follow another direction....but ,I can't see a big business.

I would see some very good performing one example, with real numbers.
In most of cases to me it is a kind of parasitary activity.
No one offended please, if I would find a good one I would take it!

•••
Genialnames - its a numbers game for sure. I am also sure that the click true rate is much lower that other parked pages. But then again - people realize that - oops wrong page - maybe its easier to chose an ad. I wouldnt park a typo with a Portal type page. Definitely one click ads and I would make sure I use the real sites name so that advertisers selling that product/service are on top.

But I dont get it either. Big numbers I guess - which is why it is so important to do it "right".

•••
I took my own advise to Gazzip and tried a dubai misspell version.

1 - The biggest dubai missspelling is duabi according to google results. 37K
Dunai is bigger 341 but it may also account for some different meaning results. 340K.

2- then I went for the biggest dubai site with dubai in domain name.

Which was GoDubai.com alexa 23K

3 regged: goDuabi.com

4 parked and waited:

result-

= actaully not bad. Have had a few clicks. It will pay for itself But that is not a reason for regging a typo domain. I am hoping that it one day will hit search engine results and I would get a few goduabi search results traffic. Its funny how many people search for the specific url when they already have the right url...

Namedrive dont seem to want to pay much for the clicks. Arabian hits must not be very valuble in their book. So I might emigrate this one to sedo which is a bit better for global traffic.

Also My commissionsjunKtion.com is producing 4 clicks so far. So enough to cover reg but thats about it.

Now I guess I just sit back and wait for telebay to get big...

Some good lessons but not enough to keep me in the typo domain test market...its fun though.

•••
I like CommissionJunktion.com, sounds so funny!

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back