IT.COM

discuss Mirror Mirror - Say What?

NameSilo
Watch

MapleDots

Account Closed (Requested)
Impact
Picture0003.png

So, lets say you owned a company and decided to call it mirror.
Through some miracle you were able to acquire direct match .com as mirror.com

Now lets say your company was as forward thinking as it gets and as the owner you decide you want to shorten the domain even more?

So you purchase mirror.co and make the decision to forward mirror.com to mirror.co

Is the owner of this company forward thinking or a lame brain?

Chyme in and discuss...

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Personally I would have forwarded the .co to the .com because the .co is technically a ccTLD.

•••
It seems an odd choice to host the main site on the .co, but I think they key thing is that they acquired the .com.

Hopefully they use the .com for their email addresses.

•••
In my opinion .co should redirect to .com

•••
It seems an odd choice to host the main site on the .co, but I think they key thing is that they acquired the .com.

Hopefully they use the .com for their email addresses.

I was thinking the same thing, the email address is a key factor.

•••
•••
So do I understand correctly they had the .com and then got the .co and are redirecting the .com to the .co. That is certainly unusual, the opposite happening much more.

If that is what they did, I suspect it is because there seems to be a startup mindset emerging that co is 'cool' kind of like io somehow built that reputation, feeling com is like dot come era. Still only about 4% of startup owners, and about the same in Y-Combinator funded companies, are choosing .co, but it is doing well compared trend wise (and more adopted than net + org combined in the startup group).

Not to promote it, well a little :xf.grin:, but I just posted a NamePros Blog post on .co sales in 2020 and trends over the years. One point I make is I think .co registry are doing better than almost any other registry in promoting their TLD. Most new extension registries could learn a lot from them.

By the way, I think the Estibot valuations are order of magnitude right, perhaps lowish on .com. That by itself does not necessarily indicate which should direct to which.

Bob

•••
Personally I think in this case both evaluations are spot on.
I don't often agree with estibot but I think they have it right on this one.

•••
Optimization and efficiency. Typing the extra character would be an 11.1111% increase.:xf.grin:

I think they recently acquired it and have not yet made the switch.

Covid has increased demand for the product and they don’t want any disruption to the service, or they are taking the time to do it properly. Some business have lost considerable traffic after changing domains.

•••
So do I understand correctly they had the .com and then got the .co and are redirecting the .com to the .co. That is certainly unusual, the opposite happening much more.

If that is what they did, I suspect it is because there seems to be a startup mindset emerging that co is 'cool' kind of like io somehow built that reputation, feeling com is like dot come era. Still only about 4% of startup owners, and about the same in Y-Combinator funded companies, are choosing .co, but it is doing well compared trend wise (and more adopted than net + org combined in the startup group).

Not to promote it, well a little :xf.grin:, but I just posted a NamePros Blog post on .co sales in 2020 and trends over the years. One point I make is I think .co registry are doing better than almost any other registry in promoting their TLD. Most new extension registries could learn a lot from them.

By the way, I think the Estibot valuations are order of magnitude right, perhaps lowish on .com. That by itself does not necessarily indicate which should direct to which.

Bob

Bob they started out on .co and then acquired the .com this year after raising $74 million in VC a couple months later LuLu Lemon bought the company for $500 million.

They had a relationship since 2019 when Lululemon became an investor in Mirror. The $34 million Series B-1 brought in $34 million.

Last edited:
•••
I have a situation at present which may or may not work to my advantage. I am with Efty and when they recently started posting visit numbers for each domain name I noticed an increasing daily number of visits for a not common English dictionary word. This meant nothing to me before this point and it was just a fairly recent hand reg. The company involved are an online clothing company operating out of America and they use the .co version of said dictionary word. I have the .com. I reached out to them and asked if it was them who had been checking out the name at Efty. I had no way to know whether it was individual visits or one person visiting multiple times. I took a gamble and sent an e-mail.

They came back to e the next day and asked what the expected selling price would be. I gave them a figure which would be a good ROI for me but it would not cause them too many issues during the current global pandemic.

As things stand I have given a price and I am awaiting a counter offer or a cheque, or indeed pure silence.

I am sure that the visits to the .com are people trying to find their site an my view is that maybe they will have no alternative to buy the .com rather than confusing or losing customers.

I have my fingers and toes crossed...that's why I keep falling over lol.

Regards,

Reddstagg

•••
I'm not an expert, but I think if you plan to switch e.g. from a long-used mirror.co to a newly-acquired mirror.com, the first step of a long way is setting up a redirect from the new domain to the old domain and waiting for a bit before proceeding. It has to be carefully planned to avoid losing the traffic, stats, position etc. etc.

•••
I'm not an expert, but I think if you plan to switch e.g. from a long-used mirror.co to a newly-acquired mirror.com, the first step of a long way is setting up a redirect from the new domain to the old domain and waiting for a bit before proceeding. It has to be carefully planned to avoid losing the traffic, stats, position etc. etc.

Or they could just put up a mirror site :xf.laugh::ROFL::xf.laugh::ROFL::xf.laugh::ROFL:

•••
rorrimmirror.com just registered inspired by you.

•••
This topic kinda inspired me so I picked up mirror.ca today

•••
.Co should redirect to .Com for more Brand recognition and Consumer trust.

•••
.Co should redirect to .Com for more Brand recognition and Consumer trust.

They probably won't care about the .co (unless they have a presence in that region)

That said my webstats for pink(dot)ca have shown traffic from victoria's secret for quite a while now so I know they are looking at some ccTLD's.

•••
most mobile devices have one button for .com

•••
Back