IT.COM

new gtlds Mike Mann Thinks New gTLDs Will Confuse Consumers

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

News

Hand-picked NewsTop Member
Impact
The new gTLD domains can sound very good and their industry can grow a bit for a while, but in the long run the sites launched with these extensions will confuse consumers and make the site owners look like scammers or weak unintelligent companies that cant afford a .com.
Here is an objective metric for you, all the Fortune 500 companies with the worlds best marketing people use .Com and still will a year from now and the year following...
Read More

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I am also a consumer and I am not confused and I think all those generations which will grow up with the reality of new gTLDs will also not be confused.
If a consumer is confronted with an 'unknown' TLD he will / can find answers about it in a few seconds - so why he should be confused?
Every well known registry offers new gTLDs in the meanwhile - so the general awareness about them is growing day by day.
Consumers also not confused with new soft / hardware - in the opposite, they often just waiting for them.
So the new gTLDs are simply one: Newww. But not confusing.

Last edited:
•••
I agree with Mann on this...

•••
He's not alone. I sold a domain for $xxx,xxx to a big player who thinks the same. The new gtlds are going to muck up the system. Complete disaster!

•••
•••
•••
That isn't even a legit site.
Really? :)
upload_2016-2-21_5-33-52.png

•••
•••
•••
•••
He's not alone. I sold a domain for $xxx,xxx to a big player who thinks the same. The new gtlds are going to muck up the system. Complete disaster!
Do we need to ask what extension?

•••
•••
What will it amount to once they update the website?

You mean update it with more links out to their .com consumer properties? What you see is pretty much it. It's not something for consumers.

Last edited:
•••
You mean update it with more links out to their .com consumer properties? What you see is pretty much it. It's not something for consumers.

- ABC.com is owned by a large company, Alphabet.com is owned by a large company and X.com is reserved for SpaceX.

- Google purchased abcdefghiklmnopqrstuvwxyz.com, zyxwvutsrqponmlkihgfedcba.com and countless others for undisclosed amounts of money.

But they didn't even think about using the single letters of the alphabet in .xyz to represent their 20+ companies (matches abc.xyz). I guess Google isn't very good at planning. They must have just randomly registered abc.xyz on a whim after watching the TV series Silicon Valley the (sarcasim).

•••
- ABC.com is owned by a large company, Alphabet.com is owned by a large company and X.com is reserved for SpaceX.

- Google purchased abcdefghiklmnopqrstuvwxyz.com, zyxwvutsrqponmlkihgfedcba.com and countless others for undisclosed amounts of money.

But they didn't even think about using the single letters of the alphabet in .xyz to represent their 20+ companies (matches abc.xyz). I guess Google isn't very good at planning. They must have just randomly registered abc.xyz on a whim after watching the TV series Silicon Valley the (sarcasim).

None of that addressed anything my post. What else did you think they were going to do with that site? It's basically a 2 page site. You guys got all excited, looking for some hope. And it's just some parent company page, that's it. You keep pointing to that 2 page site, is it because you can't find anything else to point to?

•••
None of that addressed anything my post. What else did you think they were going to do with that site? It's basically a 2 page site. You guys got all excited, looking for some hope. And it's just some parent company page, that's it. You keep pointing to that 2 page site, is it because you can't find anything else to point to?

It's because it is a much bigger deal than you anticipate. I know enough about Google, their background with Daniel Negari and the geopolitics of China to state with confidence that they planned abc.xyz years in advance. Around the time Daniel Negari acquired .car from them (years before they publicly announced abc.xyz).

You and I know very well I have posted a lot more evidence than the single abc.xyz website.

•••
Could have been less obvious tbh. I get it, he wants to keep .com king forever, but nothing lasts forever.

The fact of the matter is it's not up to him. New extensions are coming out, and a lot of them. This is only the beginning, society will eventually adapt to non coms as companies do, and they will. This isn't the 90's, for the most part I think society now can handle different extensions (give me a break).

You guys are just scared to death that it will happen, it reeks of it. You are scared that one day ngtld will catch on, and it already is. We get it, com is king, that still doesn't stop people from buying non gtld. It's like you guys are saying "Hey, don't buy that, b-because it looks fake, only unintelligent people buy non coms, you can't be part of the club if you dont buy coms now", doesn't sound very convincing.

Last edited:
•••
Unless the new website is Free.Beer it may not get much of my attention

•••
IMO,

If you need to explain or teach people about your domain name, you have a bad domain.name (yes dot name or .name is a tld)

•••
The view Mann espouses is unintuitive in my opinion. First of all, it comes across as fundamentally elitist. Not every web site need be associated with a Fortune 500. More so, in niche markets, where coms quickly become cluttered with growing keyword length, it's entirely reasonable that gTLDs step in and make sense. Sure, it will take time, but the web is still growing exponentially.Some say it's a pyramid scheme, with registrars getting richer, but that same could be said for the com "system". I say muck it up, let the invisible hand have its way as more folks discover gTLDs being used in meaningful ways.

•••
My two cents....

Mr Mann is in panic mode the new extensions are eating into .com profits the new extensions are actual keywords/adwords minus the.com the only thing that remains is the . If I owned hundreds of thousands of dot coms and watched the average price fall from 54k in 2009 to around 2k now and saw that people would rather buy a $50 fresh name (less characters is more) than pay through the nose for a domain name that is way over priced for the market. I would say....
"New gTLDs Will Confuse Consumers"
but inwardly I would look at the volume of increase in the new gtld sales and say to myself "Hold on these people are me 20 years ago" ..... The term putting all your eggs into one basket comes to mind.
Tech is changing and it speaks volumes, 'search volumes' when the largest player in domains in real terms ie... search, advertising development is itself starting to bid on, own and push these new gtlds what does that say when they control what you see on every search and that is in fact how your domain gets found and actually becomes of worth (after you develop it). In fact nearly all major companies are up to it dot com is dead watch your sales fall to see this fact if not totally dead it has become old fashioned, you know when you type into your address bar you don't need to add .whatever it's who is paying or has the traffic that shows up. I thought about proving this myself by developing a gtld and see how long it takes it to own the .com.

There are bigger players (much bigger) in the domain name industry than Mr. Mann and they are putting their money into new gtlds for a reason. Why buy a 10 million dollar .com when you can have every single character on a key word extension for a few million if there is a bidding war plus your 185k icann application plus 25k per annum to keep every single character on a key word domain.

.com is an extension not a 'KEY" word it is an abbreviation for advert it could have been .adv but that looked ugly I am sure .adv will be here soon.

Last edited:
•••
haha, the delusion and usually from newer members. Just in the last 30 minutes:

"scared to death"

"in panic mode"

"dot com is dead watch your sales fall to see this fact if not totally dead it has become old fashioned"

Of what exactly? Niche extensions? Bad general extensions? Extensions that aren't even popular in the U.S.? All the top ones are basically China. You buy these other extensions because you can't get the .com. It's what you settle for. It's not first choice.

Last edited:
•••
Massive budgets allow for an each way bet.

•••
.Com needs to remain king in order for any .gtld to be successful. It's what's setting the bar. Bashing it is counter-productive.

Last edited:
•••
I don't see how one Mann can predict future trends. :lookaround:

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back