interviews Michael Krell answers questions on All things BrandBucket

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

equity78

Top Member
TheDomains Staff
TLDInvestors.com
Impact
Today we sit down with Michael J Krell, managing director at BrandBucket. Michael took the time to answer the tough questions not just things like what makes a good brandable ? He took the time to address controversies and why they charge what they charge for commission. 1) How long have you been buying and selling brandable names ? I got into the domain industry about 4 years ago, and started … [Read more...]

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Its always a pleasure to read your blog Ray. Good Interview :)

Thanks @michaeljkrell

•••
•••
Thank you @equity78 for trying to clear the air. I only 'disliked' your post because I went there expecting to see Michael answer some tough questions, and I was disappointed by as one commenter said a FLUFF piece.

One of your commenters named Get a Job, suggested the whiners create their own "BrandBucket" to attempt to take marketshare. I believe these "whiners" already have, and I fear more unhappy sellers will follow if BrandBucket doesn't revert back to offering the high level of customer care that built them into the largest Brandable Marketplace.

Also, thank you TLDInvestors.com for allowing people to comment on your article. Some blogs filter what is posted to control the information distributed, I have seen no evidence of TLDInvestors.com doing this.

Last edited:
•••
Thank you @equity78 for trying to clear the air. I only 'disliked' your post because I went there expecting to see Michael answer some tough questions, and I was disappointed by as one commenter said a FLUFF piece.

One of your commenters named Get a Job, suggested the whiners create their own "BrandBucket" to attempt to take marketshare. I believe these "whiners" already have, and I fear if BrandBucket doesn't revert back to offering the high level of customer care that built them into the largest Brandable Marketplace.

Also, thank you TLDInvestors.com for allowing people to comment on your article. Some blogs filter what is posted to control the information distributed, I have seen no evidence of TLDInvestors.com doing this.

I did not think the piece was fluff based on the fact that Michael did answer on his treatment or preference given at Brand Bucket. When I have asked other companies to justify their commission some have ignored it or said skip the question. I know people ask how many names until they stop accepting ? Michael answered, whether people like the answer is another story. I asked how they felt about BB names sold on Namepros, sales data. There are always more questions.

•••
I did not think the piece was fluff.

It would appear we have a difference of opinion on the definition of fluff. Nonetheless, I thank you for trying.

•••
It would appear we have a difference of opinion on the definition of fluff. Nonetheless, I thank you for trying.

Apparently we do, what else did you want Michael to answer ? Commission is the most important thing to me, how someone justifies 30%, number of submissions and if he gets preferential treatment. I don't care that much about logos although I understand some do care a lot.

•••
Commission is the most important thing

$200,000 in the last 18 months (worth of listing fee's) would suggest otherwise. My problem isn't with the growth, it's with the quality of customer care that is lost in said growth.

I do not want to turn this thread away from your article itself, so I will bow out of this thread, just as I did in the BrandBucket experience thread. Though I will not respond, I am eagerly waiting to see Michael's response to the tough unanswered questions on the BrandBucket Experience thread.

•••
$200,000 in the last 18 months (worth of listing fee's) would suggest otherwise. My problem isn't with the growth, it's with the lost quality in said growth.

I do not want to turn this thread away from your article itself, so I will bow out of this thread, just as I did in the BrandBucket experience thread. Though I will not respond, I am eagerly waiting to see Michael's response to the tough unanswered questions on the BrandBucket Experience thread.

I meant moist important to me as a customer, you may be right they care more about listing fees, I meant I want justification on 30%.

•••
"My names are also not disproportionately suggested to potential buyers if they contact us directly about helping them choose a name. I am completely separated from the sales team and the sales process. My names are treated exactly the same as every other name on the marketplace."

So the "Managing Director" is separated from the sales team and the sales process? The managing director of any company has his hands in everything. He is the one that basically reports to the owners. To believe that the managing director is not part of every single department is total Bullshit. To also believe that the managing director gets no perks is ridiculous. He is in charge of everything but those that work their don't naturally become bias to him and his names? Maybe he doesn't ask for preferential treatment but God knows he naturally receives it. Those who believe that don't know much about anything.

•••
So the "Managing Director" is separated from the sales team and the sales process? The managing director of any company has his hands in everything. He is the one that basically reports to the owners. To believe that the managing director is not part of every single department is total Bullsh*t. To also believe that the managing director gets no perks is ridiculous. He is in charge of everything but those that work their don't naturally become bias to him and his names? Maybe he doesn't ask for preferential treatment but God knows he naturally receives it. Those who believe that don't know much about anything.

What you mentioned remind me of the Adam Dicker episode...
when he was at godaddy and going up against customers in auction.
GD then recognized the issue of customer confidence and took decisive action.

•••
@equity78, I thought you did a good job sifting through the Namepros BrandBucket thread and asking the relevant questions

His answers though? Perhaps someone can help me understand better.

Doesn't it degrade BrandBucket's sellers' confidence to have their employees list names on the marketplace. I mean it's obvious in a situation like this that the public's perception would be that he gets preferential treatment. Once they hired him, shouldn't he have perhaps created his own marketplace on his website? Like keep them separate from everyone else's

I mean he tries to insist that he doesn't get preferential treatment. But, of course the natural human tendency of anybody (their sales staff included) may be to point customers in the direction of the their own names or another employee's names. I mean we're all human and we'll all probably do that same thing.

I thought I read somewhere that GoDaddy banned their employees from bidding in auctions because of something like this - they did not want to degrade their customer's confidence.

•••
What you mentioned remind me of the Adam Dicker episode...
when he was at godaddy and going up against customers in auction.
GD then recognized the issue of customer confidence and took decisive action.

Saw you post about GD right after I posted. lol. Great minds think alike lol

•••
"My names are also not disproportionately suggested to potential buyers if they contact us directly about helping them choose a name."

... and what about what potential buyers encounter when they don't contact BB?

Such as domains being shown on the landing pages for other domains in the 'suggested names' and on the front page of the BB site. That's the preferential positioning most people are referring to. I doubt most 'potential buyers' are even contacting anyone at BB directly other than support for purchasing names they have decided on.

I thought I read somewhere that GoDaddy banned their employees from bidding in auctions because of something like this - they did not want to degrade their customer's confidence.

Customer's confidence and sentiment must already be low to give such sanitized answers on a forum where you can pretty much address any claim or concern directly.

Almost every respectable venue can come on here and do that.

•••
$200,000 in the last 18 months (worth of listing fee's)

You forget the fact that the existing BB reseller market is a guarantee for liquidity on your fees. At any given time if you auction your published BB name on NP you'll be able to get at least $30 (for published) which doesn't happen with any other BB competitors. There is a reason people have created floor prices for BB names. All competitors have yet to prove themselves in this regard and until then BB has no reason to remove the listing fee.

•••
I don't use BB, but let me get this straight. Employees can post domains on the site?
They charge you a listing fee then a 30% commission when the domain sells. I thought I heard someone on another thread say they charged for the logo too?

Sounds like a win win win win for BranBucket.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back