IT.COM

Message for "offthehandle"

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

ThatNameGuy

Top Member
Impact
I'm still trying to figure out this site, but a poster named "offthehandle" responded to a post of mine titled "Perfect Description", and I want to thank him for his thoughtful response. His explanation for how hosed up this industry is, was spot on. While I'm not a domain investor, I do own 450+ domains that I've bought over the last 12 months. 90% of the domains I've purchased have ties to brands and businesses I'm developing. The other 10% are domains that I'd sell or lease if I could?

Regardless, the appraisal part of this industry is worse than fake news...and I own the domain, "FakeNewsHappens".com The biggest JOKE of them all is GoDaddy's appraisal platform. I've been involved in other industries that have developed "scoring" programs/systems that are very reliable, but this industry's appraisal piece should be ignored.

The best advice I did get from "offthehandle" was that my domains appear more "brandable" than most, and that I should look into "BrandBucket". He even said they're suspect as well, but I should cautious.

Thanks, "offthehandle" for your help and candor.

Bulloney

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Post number 12 contains two links one referring to a blog post regarding NamePros dated November 13th.

2nd underneath is a link to your AMA the day after the blog post. Those are the only references I see.
Thanks.
@offthehandle My apologies, I see no accusations (I finally did read everything) I would delete my post but it throws off the replies. I need to follow my own advice to Ategy and just leave my hands off the keyboard :)

•••
It's no secret that appraisals are bad in the domain industry .. mostly because it actually isn't possible to be accurate when it comes to domains .. or at least not when it comes to "end user" pricing.

At the end of a day the price a domain sales at depends on how the end user values it .. combined with how much money they can realistically spend. There certainly are tons of quantifiable metrics .. but those get multiplied with some totally random things resulting in an extremely unprecise result.

Add to that the fact relatively simple algorythms can't "understand" most play on words and most "brandable" domains are pretty much impossible to assess using an automated system. But this isn't at all something that is really hidden in the industry .. Estibot for example tries to compare your domain to sales of what it tries to connect to as similar .. from a programming site it's absolutely fantastic .. but even if it were perfect it would still be accurate a minority of times with Brandables.

GoDaddy valuations are new .. believe it or not it's MUCH better now than when it originally rolled out .. but that's because a few months ago it deserved a 1/10 grade .. now it's maybe at 4. Whoever green lit that system obviously had no clue about domain sales in any way.

It's not a far stretch to say GoDaddy is a giant colossal incompetent beast .. just too big likely without anyone able to take a step back and see all the issues for what they are. I've had a couple of sessions with their development team and they just couldn't get enough of my help (literally .. they asked me for more feedback .. but didn't really offer anything in return so I can't say I'm extremely motivated to donate my time).

BUT .. they do have FAR AND AWAY the best selection of expiring domains .. a fact that gets even better with the value in terms of pricing you can get some of the domains at (look at here and realise the large majority of the domains I've listed I got for $20 or less). I sometimes selfishly think that maybe it's better they are such a mess .. as it just makes the learning curve for the competition that much harder .. and reduced competition means cheaper domains for the rest of us willing to suffer through all the problems and inefficiencies there .. lol.

Conversely though .. sometimes some domains are valued higher than others because of actual legitimate reasons not always obvious .. like traffic, PPC, competition and several other possible factors.

Here's a little tip .. A good baseline to see if you're "not bad" at evaluating domains is go and listen to all the old DomainSherpa reviews (there is tons of fantastic info and advice in there) .. absorb what you can .. then listen to them again .. and keep listening while you buy/sell domains until you actually find comments and opinions they say and share that you disagree with (for actual reasons you can quantify/specify) .. once you have that confidence then you won't be bad (because nobody can ever really be all that good with evaluating brandable domains.. lol) .. then once you understand you can never be that good .. that's when you realise .. holy crap .. why the ____ did I buy xx% of my useless domains? .. lol

Also .. for wholesale pricing try "paper trading" .. go to DSAD aka (Domain Shane) and check their daily lists and price them yourself .. then 1-2 days later go back and check what the names sold for. But again .. lots of factors even in wholesale to be very accurate (although it is at least more predictable than retail sales to end users).

Finally .. it's also very important to remember that "valuation" doesn't necessarily translate into sales .. a good assessment of the actual probability of the domain ever being sold.

ok .. anyhow .. good luck moving forward! :)

Thanks for sharing Ategy...really glad I found this site. If I was aware of this industry sooner, I can see where I may have been successful. Currently I'm developing three brands, and to the extent any are successful, that will will become my priority. Thus, I'd be looking to partner with someone in this industry that maybe I could help with my experience. Thanks again,

Bulloney

•••
@Bulloney. You write exactly like Ategy. Style, content, and especially length. But thanks for sharing :)

•••
@Bulloney. You write exactly like Ategy. Style, content, and especially length. But thanks for sharing :)

lol .. That's because it IS my "Style, Content and Length" .. lol .. That's actually me .. he just accidentally deleted the opening "Quote" tag when quoting my earlier post! Only the last paragraph is his. (I've asked a mod to fix the link) ;)

@Domain Shane .. This whole thing actually started innocently enough with friendly advice to @Bulloney regarding valuations .. and that a good way to get better was to listen to old Sherpa Shows and do paper trading based on the DSAD blog data ... then it kinda took a few left turns somewhere along the way .. lol

Last edited:
•••
lol .. That's because it IS my "Style, Content and Length" .. lol .. That's actually me .. he just accidentally deleted the opening "Quote" tag when quoting my earlier post! Only the last paragraph is his. (I've asked a mod to fix the link) ;)

@Domain Shane .. This whole thing actually started innocently enough with friendly advice to @Bulloney regarding valuations .. and that a good way to get better was to listen to old Sherpa Shows and do paper trading based on the DSAD blog data ... then it kinda took a few left turns somewhere along the way .. lol
Speaking of left turns, I've taken a few myself. As for Domain Sherpa...I listened to some online interviews and read some articles that helped with my domain education. I've actually developed a pretty good rapport with Rob Monstor of Epic, and I thought for a moment he might be interested investing in me? The last 20 domains I've registered have been on the Epik site, and I plan on moving my other domains from GoDaddy as they expire. Ategy...you and Rob have been so forthcoming, I feel a little bad about badmouthing this industry like I have. I've exchanged a half dozen or more emails with Rob, and I thought he might be a good fit, but he may have a little too much on his plate right now? Ategy...I'll send you a PM (y)

•••
Thanks.
@offthehandle My apologies, I see no accusations (I finally did read everything) I would delete my post but it throws off the replies. I need to follow my own advice to Ategy and just leave my hands off the keyboard :)

One thing you posted on your blog on October 20th, 2017 about "Partnerships", is confusing. Can you explain?

Quoted from your blog:
" I don’t hide very many of my purchases because I don’t have much to hide. Although I am partners on a lot of domains that people don’t realize. For instance (since it was public) Braden Pollock and I bought Grassy.com together. We both thought it was a great name so we decided to buy it. There have been many more in the past and will be many more in the future. I like partnerships. Split the work, split the money ."

Then Rick posts his comments about "Working in concert" today on Twitter as shown below. I am not insinuating nor inferring he was speaking of you or anyone named by others in this thread or any other threads on Namepro's have anything to do with that. It's just a general question again how you define a partnership.

CM Capture 172.jpg

CM Capture 170.jpg

•••
One thing you posted on your blog on October 20th, 2017 about "Partnerships", is confusing. Can you explain?

Quoted from your blog:
" I don’t hide very many of my purchases because I don’t have much to hide. Although I am partners on a lot of domains that people don’t realize. For instance (since it was public) Braden Pollock and I bought Grassy.com together. We both thought it was a great name so we decided to buy it. There have been many more in the past and will be many more in the future. I like partnerships. Split the work, split the money ."

Then Rick posts his comments about "Working in concert" today on Twitter as shown below. I am not insinuating nor inferring he was speaking of you or anyone named by others in this thread or any other threads on Namepro's have anything to do with that. It's just a general question again how you define a partnership.

Show attachment 73601

Show attachment 73600

That question is similar to what @Ategy.com had asked @Domain Shane in his AMA. [But Shane opted to close with a DomainSherpa type plug instead]

upload_2017-11-21_16-14-36.png

•••
@offthehandle You are insinuating that my partnerships COULD be for fraud. You didn't say it did but you implied. These are the types of statements that keep you from getting in legal trouble but hint of a possibility to make people think I am have done something wrong I take back my statement above. You ARE implying that I may have committed fraud. Buying names together is a common occurrence. If we buy the name how can I run up the price. We bought it. Nobody else to run up but ourselves. Show me one instance where I ran up any other name? You can't . You won't

@Grilled
Your crusade agains Media Options and Drew Rosener will not snare me. I am completely clean. As for your accusations above. I said it right there in the AMA. Ategy asked me 12 questions. Every time I answered one he would ask me more. You know exactly how he is. It couldn't go on forever and had to have some stopping point. You said I was avoiding because it fit your agenda. I don't fit your agenda because I don't cheat or commit fraud. Despite what you would love to find.

For both of you. I couldn't be any more open. All my domains are public. I talk about every frickin thing I do. But I tell you that I go in with others to buy domains and its the one thing you can't track and you cry like little babies. No smoking gun here boys. Nancy Drew and the Hardy Boys are going to have to keep searching

•••
OK guys...it seems I may have stirred a pot of awesomenot here on NP yesterday. Seriously, after posting something about the possibility of seeking a partner, I think someone re-directed my post to another venue that I haven't been able to find? Besides owning a few brandable domains, there are a few more things I can bring to the table for the right partner. Anyone who thinks they may be able to complement my weaknesses, and exploit my strengths...please reach out.

Thanks and Gobble! Gobble!

Bulloney
aka
Rich Morris

•••
@offthehandle You are insinuating that my partnerships COULD be for fraud. You didn't say it did but you implied. These are the types of statements that keep you from getting in legal trouble but hint of a possibility to make people think I am have done something wrong I take back my statement above. You ARE implying that I may have committed fraud. Buying names together is a common occurrence. If we buy the name how can I run up the price. We bought it. Nobody else to run up but ourselves. Show me one instance where I ran up any other name? You can't . You won't

@Grilled
Your crusade agains Media Options and Drew Rosener will not snare me. I am completely clean. As for your accusations above. I said it right there in the AMA. Ategy asked me 12 questions. Every time I answered one he would ask me more. You know exactly how he is. It couldn't go on forever and had to have some stopping point. You said I was avoiding because it fit your agenda. I don't fit your agenda because I don't cheat or commit fraud. Despite what you would love to find.

For both of you. I couldn't be any more open. All my domains are public. I talk about every frickin thing I do. But I tell you that I go in with others to buy domains and its the one thing you can't track and you cry like little babies. No smoking gun here boys. Nancy Drew and the Hardy Boys are going to have to keep searching
Wow

•••

“But I tell you that I go in with others to buy domains and its the one thing you can't track and you cry like little babies.”

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back