domains MediaOptions Partners With DAN.COM To Provide Domain Brokerage

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

equity78

Top Member
TheDomains Staff
TLDInvestors.com
Impact
Two industry leaders are getting together as DAN and Media Options team up. … [Read more...]

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Nice press release - anywhere we can read about the nuts and bolts on how it will work? Any minimum sale value springs to mind straight away

Edit:

@DAN.COM
@MediaOptions

Last edited:
•••
Nice press release - anywhere we can read about the nuts and bolts on how it will work? Any minimum sale value springs to mind straight away

Edit:

@DAN.COM
@MediaOptions

If Media Options closes deal 20% commission not 9%.

•••
@NickB Reza just informed me

You can assign Media Options to your entire portfolio, part of your portfolio or per lead basis to broker your lead. They’ll take over from A to Z and make sure to close the sale.

Last edited:
•••
Reza just informed me

You can assign Media Options to your entire portfolio, part of your portfolio or per lead basis to broker your lead. They’ll take over from A to Z and make sure to close the sale.
Was just writing a question about this - any word on minimum prices?

It is an intriguing feature to add and probably worth a go, I mean 20% for a seasoned brokerage to handle your affairs seems a decent deal - to me at least

•••
& in effect immediately I assume ?

•••
It sounds like they only handle incoming leads. With a portfolio of 9M domains, I'd say this is a win for MediaOptions.

•••
It sounds like they only handle incoming leads. With a portfolio of 9M domains, I'd say this is a win for MediaOptions.
Or both + customers ?

•••
Last question - will DAN put in a contact number option so the brokers can speak to the person?

And DAN - picking up those extra commissions.........must be a 50/50 split on the 20% surely - so DAN get's an extra 1% and more deals get closed = win win

•••
Or both + customers ?
Yeah if you're a newbie and you don't know how to negotiate. But I used to broker domains, so I can handle all inbounds myself.

•••
Last question - will DAN put in a contact number option so the brokers can speak to the person?

And DAN - picking up those extra commissions.........must be a 50/50 split on the 20% surely - so DAN get's an extra 1% and more deals get closed = win win
Yeah it can be a win for all, but I think some customers would prefer to work their own deals and keep that 11%.

•••
Yeah it can be a win for all, but I think some customers would prefer to work their own deals and keep that 11%.
Definitely - but it is always nice to have options (no pun intended)

•••
Definitely - but it is always nice to have options (no pun intended)

Majority can't negotiate, most who can not as good as Rosener. People pay Afternic 20% on a buy it now for doing no work, someone just clicked a buy now button.

•••
& in effect immediately I assume ?
According to something I read this morning they expect it to be in operation by about end of January 2021.

•••
Not a bad combination, but I wonder how MediaOptions will handle the flood of inquiries. If you can can set all your names to be brokered, we could be talking about hundreds of thousands of leads I guess.

•••
Impressive. They're teaming up with the best. Bodis, dnwe, IBM, efty and now MediaOptions. They're on a roll.

•••
Not a bad combination, but I wonder how MediaOptions will handle the flood of inquiries. If you can can set all your names to be brokered, we could be talking about hundreds of thousands of leads I guess.
Agreed media options always dealt in premium names, niche boutique brokerage house .:.how are they going to outsource large portfolios of mediocre domains... call center type outsource ?

Another question why would they take on this headache of millions of pigeon sh*t names? Everyone wants to be in the business model of smaller portfolios of higher quality names, not vice versa.

Last edited:
•••
I think this is worth on a per case basis and only from mid xxxx values and up.

Most domain buyers can't negotiate. But for higher prices things are different.

•••
Impressive. They're teaming up with the best. Bodis, dnwe, IBM, efty and now MediaOptions. They're on a roll.

Yeah it's great business.

•••
Although having an experienced broker handling the inbound leads is a valuable service to have, but in my opinion most domainers are in need of someone who can actually help promote their domains to a narrowly targeted group of end users who might see value in those domains and who might find them to be useful and suitable for their business.

If an experienced broker can analyze a portfolio and identify the domains that he or she can easily promote to a specific group of end users for a quick sale then in my opinion that is as important or perhaps even more important than handling the inbound leads alone.

IMO

Last edited:
•••
Be interested in who people think are the winners and the potential losers from the deal. Here are my thoughts.

Winners:
  • DAN for sure. As others have mentioned they have now reached agreements with various important players, and now having an association with the most successful broker can't hurt.
  • MediaOptions As has been mentioned, this is a different model, and in some cases type of domain, from what they have handled. I think it could move them towards becoming huge, but does come with possible pitfalls too. Time will tell.
  • Domain Investors are definite winners here. Some just don't like negotiating, or (like me) are not good at it. For the right domains, this now provides an option to get skilled negotiators handling names with offers.
Possible Losers:
  • Other Brokers. It will be so much easier to opt in rather than hunt around for a broker, I can see some losing out on business.
  • Possibly GD/Uniregistry as their agents probably would have handled some names that would go now into MediaOptions brokerage.
  • Other Marketplaces may lose some due to this association. Premium names may be more likely to go to DAN now because of this option. Of course Sedo and Afternic still have their registration stream visibility advantage.
  • NameSilo had not long ago introduced a service where you could hand your offer to a broker from a list they curated, and this may hurt them, but maybe not as it might make the idea more accepted and create room for others to do something similarl.
What do you think? Who wins and who loses?

Bob

•••
Be interested in who people think are the winners and the potential losers from the deal. Here are my thoughts.

Winners:
  • DAN for sure. As others have mentioned they have now reached agreements with various important players, and now having an association with the most successful broker can't hurt.
  • MediaOptions As has been mentioned, this is a different model, and in some cases type of domain, from what they have handled. I think it could move them towards becoming huge, but does come with possible pitfalls too. Time will tell.
  • Domain Investors are definite winners here. Some just don't like negotiating, or (like me) are not good at it. For the right domains, this now provides an option to get skilled negotiators handling names with offers.
Possible Losers:
  • Other Brokers. It will be so much easier to opt in rather than hunt around for a broker, I can see some losing out on business.
  • Possibly GD/Uniregistry as their agents probably would have handled some names that would go now into MediaOptions brokerage.
  • Other Marketplaces may lose some due to this association. Premium names may be more likely to go to DAN now because of this option. Of course Sedo and Afternic still have their registration stream visibility advantage.
  • NameSilo had not long ago introduced a service where you could hand your offer to a broker from a list they curated, and this may hurt them, but maybe not as it might make the idea more accepted and create room for others to do something similarl.
What do you think? Who wins and who loses?

Bob

I like your summary Bob. I also think this is such a repetitive, copy cat industry others will be making deals as well.

•••
We never will all agree on everything ..I don’t know why everything has to be a debate ...

Congratulations Dan & MediaOptions !

Last edited:
•••
Everyone should be celebrating this. The only reason domains didn't increase in price at the rate of many other assets in the past 20 years is because people do not know how to negotiate. End users have been robbing domainers now for a long time, I see premium EMD's that were sold for what amounts to theft. Obviously I do not mean literal theft or robbery.

I see many posts here of domainers in panic when they get an offer, complete shock and panic, exactly the position a buyer wants a seller to be.

Its time we let the professionals handle things. Its time we stop underpricing everything out of fear. When we do that we hurt ourselves and the community as a whole.

There is nothing to be embarrassed of if you are not good at negotiating. Some of us might be good at negotiating someone else's domain but not ours. Regardless, know your strengths and weaknesses if you hope to be successful.

Other ideas for Dan (to try because you don't know what will hurt or improve sales)

- Let people that visit a domain lander asked to be notified if price changes. No other industry throws away so many leads like this industry. Professional marketers would cry if they knew what's going on here. Imagine that, you have a potential lead finally come to your page and you have no way to capture it? Allow the domain owner to decide if they should allow it on their lander or not, just like Dan already does with many features such as traffic etc.

- Let potential buyers send a message without making an offer. Maybe they have a question. Allow the domain owner to decide...

- If we really want to open the floodgates to sales, add an affiliate program. Almost every major site has an affiliate program and there are a few big networks that act as third parties (cj, cb etc), here Dan is the third party.

You could allow people to promote your domain with a special link in return for a commission. You could set it per domain. Now you have millions of people that hustle online, a ton of marketers, promoting your names on their blog, social media, direct to clients etc in exchange for a commission.

HOW many people push Godaddy names just because of the commission? Many blogs would not even be alive today if not for their affiliate program.

I think if Dan would do this it would be incredible for everyone. Potential affiliates can signup with Dan and then pick what names they want to promote and view what the seller offers as commission. You have names that can sell for 25k right now if the right people see it and with more people promoting it the chance of the right person seeing is increases. So you offer a hefty commission of say 5-10% (or whatever the domain owner decides) and you have people knowing that within 24-48 hours they might get a payment of 1200-2500 for just posting something to their followers or to their email list etc.

One the regular affiliate program is implemented and working you could two a two tier. This is where people can earn money from all the people they refer to be affiliates. There are many people online that might not have the end user traffic but do have traffic of people that do. This is a form of multi level and it all can add up.

The asset hype and investing euphoria is happening now. Let's not miss this boat.

Keep up the amazing work Dan.

Last edited:
•••
Sounds good.

However, I simply need inbound enquiries which at the moment are as rare as hen's teeth!
If some genius can generate them then that is a real winner.

•••
Back