MediaOptions Partners With DAN.COM To Provide Domain Brokerage

Labeled as domains in Domain Industry News, started by equity78, Dec 3, 2020

Replies:
Views:

1. koolishman

koolishman Top Contributor VIP Blue Account

As rare as hen's teeth? Are you sure?:xf.wink:

Last edited: Dec 4, 2020
    The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
  2. AEProgram

AEProgram Top Contributor VIP Blue Account

Leads are the life blood of many businesses. The point of advertising is in most cases to get leads.

In real estate, insurance and in lending the industry is built in large part on a commission system. The reason it works so well there is because the commissions are good so you have people trying to broker homes and insurance or do mortgages and some succeed and those stay but even those that fail can bring some business.

The domain industry is the most passive industry when it comes to generating sales. Each domainer for the most part will just list a name at some marketplaces, point the page to one of them and wait.

It could all change real fast if there is a commission system built out.

3. karmaco

karmaco Top Contributor VIP

If people are in a panic over getting an offer they probably should not be in this business.I like doing my own negotiating so as long as its never mandatory its good for people lacking in confidence, negotiating skills or who have a very valuable name and don’t know how best to proceed.

If the name is not very valuable (under 5K lets say) its a sad state of affairs if they need another “professional” to sell their name. We are supposed to be professionals. Brush up on marketing skills and keep more of your sale price imo. The only people this should be a major godsend to are domainers who are not native English speakers.

4. AEProgram

Would you say that about other industries as well that the leader of a company cannot do sales and has no negotiating skills? The story goes that all business owners must be gods in everything, that is far from the case. The smart business owner knows what they are good at and knows what they are not good at and finds the best people to fill all the voids.

Some people are really good at finding names and not good at sales. Finding names on marketplaces, ebay, deleted lists, hand registering and all that is a skill on its own. They deserve to be represented well when it comes to selling.

5. alcy

alcy Top Contributor VIP

dan needs to focus on people finding our names on their market directly .. like we get offers on sedo or gd auctions directly... this news is inconsequential for most.. who do not want or need brokers and more fees anyway

6. AEProgram

Sedo has traffic from all their auctions etc GD is not even something to compare here.

Think of afternic (before gd), they have no auctions, and they have been around forever. What end user would think to visit afternic when they were looking for a name for their business? They ended up their because someone's parked domain.

SquadHelp must be spending a fortune on online ads. With Dans small commission they would be out of business in an hour if they spent that type of money.

Would you like Dan to promote other names on your parked page?

So you have very limited option to get more traffic. Should they start allowing auctions on the platform? Maybe.

7. NameJi

NameJi The Domain Lover VIP

Great news, thanks @equity78. I have a quick question -- what is the difference between reaching out MediaOptions directly (for top domains) vs reaching MediaOptions through Dan.com? Do you see any pros vs cons in this case?

Edit: looks like MediaOptions charge only 15% as success fee compared to 20% through Dan.com.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2020
  8. boker

boker Top Contributor VIP

SH has a revenue of around 4 million, so I don't think that it's so hard for Dan to compete with them, SH has 60k or so domains listed, Dan has 9 millions or so, so the lower commission can be compensated by the 100 times more domains listed. They can hire a few guys to do outbound professional calls for domains listed at dan, they can have a premium network working with other registrars, outside the afternic/sedo networks(smaller US registrars, lots of european and chinese /asian registrars available) and for sure they can find other ways to increase traffic to their marketplace( as in to charge only 1% or so for super premium domains and use the traffic from them to send them over to Dan marketplace)

9. Kingslayer

Kingslayer Top Contributor VIP

Not sure about winners and losers, but one thing that comes to mind reading your post is Epik recently losing PayPal and GoDaddy.

I think if Epik was the one who said 'we've partnered with MediaOptions' that would been fantastic for them and things like that is what they need to try and do in my opinion, without PayPal and GoDaddy now they now at a disadvantage to their competitors, they need to offer something different to still be appealing.

Partnerships what Dan have done recently (Bodis, DNWE, IBM, Efty, MediaOptions) are the kind of deals Epik should be trying to do.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2020
  10. karmaco

A person running a solo or very small scale business, like most of us needs to have all important skills. There is no one to pass the work onto unless you want a large chunk going to someone else. Some like to give their profits away some do not.

Back to the original comment, if a person is paniced or afraid upon receiving offers they don’t have the temperament to be a sales person. You are either cut out for this or you are not.

As long as we can opt out or in the change is a positive.

11. AEProgram

My reply is not intended for you, it is intended to new comers that might be misguided and discouraged by your flawed ideas in business.

What he just said does not have anything to do with the reality of business today. You should ignore it and learn to do what the majority of business owners that are successful do, they focus on their strengths and outsource what they are not good at.

According to him a solo or small business operator should do it all or not get involved in business.

A few billion dollars a week is spent by a small business outsourcing things they are not good at (no, it's not just about saving time), this includes:

Design
    Programming
    Server management
    Accounting
    Google Adwords
    Social media marketing
    Lead gen
    Sales
    Research

And a few hundred other tasks.

Do not be discouraged by the likes of people like him and their extremist views of business that do not reflect reality.

YES, you will cut into your profits when you hire professionals, its a lot better than losing your business by trying to do things you simply are not good at. The best leaders delegate, they do not see it as cutting into profits, they see it as growing their business better.

Again, ignore people that preach things that are obviously contradicting reality. Their motives I do not know, maybe its a roundabout way of saying "look at me, I'm good at everything". I don't know and surly do not care to understand, what I do care about is making sure nobody gets discouraged by these preachers.

12. Windoms

Windoms Top Contributor VIP

Massive, monstruous HURRAY!
    I hope we get the "Listed by Media Options" tag.

https://www.namepros.com/threads/reputation-and-trusts-impact-on-sales.1169179/

13. Windoms

Had the swiss bank of domains teamed up with Media Options for brokerage, all the premium domains would have flocked at epik.
    Too many decisive blows by the very quiet @DAN.COM , paired with karma blows by godaddy and paypal, I'm afraid epik has lost it all.

They can still win the new reg business with $2.99 .com's and reorganize for the future.

14. wwwweb

wwwweb Top Contributor VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

There are different ways to negotiate and when your used to asking on 2L 3L one word .com’s, the average Dan portfolio for the most part is wow I’m happy to accept any mid level offer, and they keep trucking forward. What I have seen in the past is bringing 2L.com tactics to 2 word .com negotiations, and watching buyers go over to huge domains, or brand bucket and find something else.

This scenario works best for media options as they get access to maybe some names they can buy from dan holders with under market valuations, or Dan clients with high end names.

15. LUP

LUP Top Contributor VIP

Wow DAN.COM growing faster

16. DigitalRoar

DigitalRoar Investor & Creator VIP

This is cool and all but how have I not heard of this "industry leader" :peeking:

17. Windoms

They are big, they have good reputation, everyone knows them.
    They brokered the sale of x.com between Paypal and Elon Musk.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2020
  18. karmaco

One thing I want to know is if they are getting a different dashboard than us. We have to accept, decline or counter to even talk to the prospect on DAN. If they can communicate without that to the prospect we all should be afforded that privilege.

19. Mytz.com

Mytz.com Top 4L [email protected] ieie.com CuTu.com NeSu.com QAMI.com PRO VIP Gold Account

It is the rise of another era

Want to reply or ask your own question?

It only takes a minute to sign up – and it's free!
Topics / Tags:
biix
  1. NamePros uses cookies and similar technologies. By using this site, you are agreeing to our privacy policy, terms, and use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice