NameSilo

Massive renewal fee increases

Namecheap AuctionsNamecheap Auctions
SpaceshipSpaceship
SpaceshipSpaceship
Watch

Jimmy.com

Established Member
Impact
154
upload_2017-7-27_11-6-27.png

Received this email from enom today.

Not so good news if you own one of these for investment purposes. Not even good news for actual businesses owning and using one of these.
It's like your property tax suddenly increasing by 600%

But hopefully if registry's continue in this direction then people will start avoiding some of these gltds altogether and run back to the good old .com
 
9
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
GoDaddyGoDaddy
Where demand is strong increased business costs can be passed on to cu stomers. For example in downtown West Palm Beach restaurants and other service providers charge a premium because rents are high. However for those services where customers are not willing to pay a premium those businesses quickly go under. I have seen many restaurants and clothing outlets and art studios fail as the few customers they had just did not pay the bills. Ditto with domain portfolios where renewal costs exceed sales. While the industry touts domains as internet real estate most end users just want a domain for their website and are not looking to pay much more than $50 for one. With a thousand tld options there is nothing special about any NOT .COM. Of course registries can also use raised renewals as a means of clawing back better keywords. Drops increase and then a couple years later they release them again. .TV has existed for more than fifteen years yet those $30 renewals have forced me to drop close to 70 per cent of what I once held. Demand is too weak to justify the renewals. Those five figure sales are not as common as the headlines make it seem.
 
3
•••
I just read the comments in the comments section of the OnlineDomain.com link above. There was back and forth about what happens to a grandfathered domain when it is sold. Does the new buyer get the grandfathered renewal cost going forward? It's a great question.

Yes, the buyer gets the grandfathered cost. The price is determined based on the domain creation date. So if that same domain is dropped and re-registered, then it will be at these new prices. This is confirmed information
 
3
•••
Massive increase == Massive drops
 
1
•••
Massive increase == Massive drops

Yeah, I am tracking the new gTLDs on a daily basis and this will be interesting.

Personally, I think Donuts is moving in the right direction and they are, by far, the biggest player in the gTLD jungle. I hope the will continue doing it that way!
 
1
•••
When the going gets tough, registries/registrars get greedy. Failure signals everywhere - for those who have eyes to see, ears to hear. Run/Fly away from those jaundice nGTLDs.
 
Last edited:
1
•••
Martin Skrelli raised the price of a rare HIV medication from $13.50 a tablet to $750 (5000% increase)

Overnight.

That's what this reminds me of. Haven't seen price increases this dramatic in a while. Domains included

$15 to $400? :banghead:
 
Last edited:
1
•••
They are killing all the new extensions. It’s a waste of time and money.
 
2
•••
But there is an joke application for Juegos!

Pitch: Hurry, this is a limited time offer and expires in 30+ days, get in on this rare opportunity before the price increase:

Whateveregistry . Juegos
SnakeOil . Juegos
ShillBidderCaught . Juegos
InsiderTradingBrandMarketplace . Juegos
XYZ88centJokes . Juegos
ExpiredFakeAuctions . Juegos
CoverUpOfShillBiddersNames . Juegos
NGtld . Juegos
NotCom . Juegos
1200NewExtensionsNobodyWants . Juegos
FakeAppraisalEmailScam . Juegos
NoMore . Juegos

Lol. But seriously...

NameProsMembersAreTheBest . Com
 
1
•••
Personally, I think the best move would have been to charge like 8-9 dollars a year, for any of them. Just as .com.

With that said, Schilling is a much more successful businessman than me. Maybe he know what he is doing after all. Time will tell.

I agree that the new gTLD market would work much better if rather than offering super low initial prices and large renewal, they offered constant rates, with perhaps modest sale prices every now and then. The current system encourages widespread buying and then letting lapse.
 
2
•••
Is this the result of inflation, or do people like this create the inflation?

I guess it's a bit of both.
 
0
•••
One more of the stupid things that go on in the domaining scam. The more I learn, the worse it gets. I thought this would be a fun hobby, but with increasing costs, crazy registrar rules and so much nonsense, it's just not worth the hassle.

I can make more $ XXXX hustling pool and golf and have more fun.

M

Ps - I guess I'll get flamed now....oh well.
 
0
•••
CatchedCatched

We're social

Escrow.com
Spaceship
Escrowly
CryptoExchange.com
Domain Recover

NamePros updates

New in Parking: updated way to act on many domains or inquiries at once
Your domain list and inquiry list now have a bar above and below the list. Check the items you want, then choose an action in the bar...
AIVikings
Catchy
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back