Massive renewal fee increases

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Jimmy.com

Established Member
Impact
upload_2017-7-27_11-6-27.png

Received this email from enom today.

Not so good news if you own one of these for investment purposes. Not even good news for actual businesses owning and using one of these.
It's like your property tax suddenly increasing by 600%

But hopefully if registry's continue in this direction then people will start avoiding some of these gltds altogether and run back to the good old .com

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
Here's what they say in the mail.....

The registry operator, Uniregistry, has announced a number of significant price increases, taking place on September 8th, 2017 (00:00 UTC). Certain TLDs will have moderate price increases, while others will have significant hikes. Renewal prices will differ depending on the type of increase (details below). Despite these changes, we will continue to support all affected TLDs and we recommend that you adjust your end-user prices accordingly. Here’s what you can expect:

The prices for TLDs with significant increases will be grandfathered. This means that domains registered BEFORE September 8th will renew at the original, pre-increase price going forward. Also, you are required to quote the grandfathered renewal price at the time of renewal if you are using the API to initiate the renewal.

•••
•••
I think Uniregistry / Frank might regret this move later on...

Will .hiphop go below 1000 regs next month?! I think it will. 145 buck a year. What a joke.

.Juegos is already in the "below 1000 reg hall of shame". 400 bucks a year?! It's like Monty Python.

•••
This is the opposite of supply & demand.

The prices are going up due to lack of demand. Pretty funny.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
Personally, I think the best move would have been to charge like 8-9 dollars a year, for any of them. Just as .com.

With that said, Schilling is a much more successful businessman than me. Maybe he know what he is doing after all. Time will tell.

•••
Here's what they say in the mail.....

The registry operator, Uniregistry, has announced a number of significant price increases, taking place on September 8th, 2017 (00:00 UTC). Certain TLDs will have moderate price increases, while others will have significant hikes. Renewal prices will differ depending on the type of increase (details below). Despite these changes, we will continue to support all affected TLDs and we recommend that you adjust your end-user prices accordingly. Here’s what you can expect:

The prices for TLDs with significant increases will be grandfathered. This means that domains registered BEFORE September 8th will renew at the original, pre-increase price going forward. Also, you are required to quote the grandfathered renewal price at the time of renewal if you are using the API to initiate the renewal.
I just read the comments in the comments section of the OnlineDomain.com link above. There was back and forth about what happens to a grandfathered domain when it is sold. Does the new buyer get the grandfathered renewal cost going forward? It's a great question.

•••
I just read the comments in the comments section of the OnlineDomain.com link above. There was back and forth about what happens to a grandfathered domain when it is sold. Does the new buyer get the grandfathered renewal cost going forward? It's a great question.

Horrible stuff. ICANN should have imposed harsh regulations on this.

But didn't.

•••
This is the opposite of supply & demand.

The prices are going up due to lack of demand. Pretty funny.

Brad

Now the demand will be even lower!

•••
•••
Now the demand will be even lower!

There will be some TLDs with a few hundred registrants worldwide.

Just a proof that they released FAR TOO MANY crazy extensions. These have caused inflation in the whole industry. Only solid .coms have kept its value.

•••
I could understand that end users were unaware and fell for the trap but domainers ?

•••
I could understand that end users were unaware and fell for the trap but domainers ?

I can just speak for myself and I will keep buying new gTLDs (and .coms) as long as I can make a living from it. Fortunately, at this stage, it is just Uniregistry that have made this move, but who knows about the future?

Personally, I think that Donuts will not go the same way, as I think it also will show that it is bad for the registries, but that is speculation and guesses.

•••
Show attachment 65401
Received this email from enom today.

Not so good news if you own one of these for investment purposes. Not even good news for actual businesses owning and using one of these.
It's like your property tax suddenly increasing by 600%

But hopefully if registry's continue in this direction then people will start avoiding some of these gltds altogether and run back to the good old .com

You failed to mention how the ones already registered are grandfathered.

http://domainnamewire.com/2017/04/03/uniregistry-backtracks-price-hike-existing-registrations/

•••
=> massive drops!
Good thing they let customers know about price increasing. Most of registers do not, you find out the new price a few day or worse a few hours before the domain expires.

•••
•••
•••
I don't buy new gtlds for sale, even if I like the combo, because I wouldn't be able to recommend to my end user clients with a straight face to start a business with a name that very little recognition and has a risk of potentially skyrocketed renewals.

•••
•••
Where demand is strong increased business costs can be passed on to cu stomers. For example in downtown West Palm Beach restaurants and other service providers charge a premium because rents are high. However for those services where customers are not willing to pay a premium those businesses quickly go under. I have seen many restaurants and clothing outlets and art studios fail as the few customers they had just did not pay the bills. Ditto with domain portfolios where renewal costs exceed sales. While the industry touts domains as internet real estate most end users just want a domain for their website and are not looking to pay much more than $50 for one. With a thousand tld options there is nothing special about any NOT .COM. Of course registries can also use raised renewals as a means of clawing back better keywords. Drops increase and then a couple years later they release them again. .TV has existed for more than fifteen years yet those $30 renewals have forced me to drop close to 70 per cent of what I once held. Demand is too weak to justify the renewals. Those five figure sales are not as common as the headlines make it seem.

•••

Yes, the buyer gets the grandfathered cost. The price is determined based on the domain creation date. So if that same domain is dropped and re-registered, then it will be at these new prices. This is confirmed information

•••
Massive increase == Massive drops

•••
Massive increase == Massive drops

Yeah, I am tracking the new gTLDs on a daily basis and this will be interesting.

Personally, I think Donuts is moving in the right direction and they are, by far, the biggest player in the gTLD jungle. I hope the will continue doing it that way!

•••
When the going gets tough, registries/registrars get greedy. Failure signals everywhere - for those who have eyes to see, ears to hear. Run/Fly away from those jaundice nGTLDs.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back