Dynadot

debate .markets takes domain names back!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

mad409

Always thinking outside the box!Top Member
Impact
I registered 8.markets on the 17th, today they took it back.

Before I reged this domain I did a Whois check to make sure it was not reserved and checked several places to make sure it was available. It had me listed in Whois until today and I had the domain forwarding to my domain site since the 17th..

I know they have the right to do want they want but why not just admit to your mistake like .club did with credit.club. Instead they claim it was an error in their system. ;)

IMO they took it back and will hold out for a higher renewal fee than what I reged it for! :(

Attachments

• 8markets.GIF
    8markets.GIF
    26.4 KB · Views: 39
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
And I am pretty sure that some extensions will not live very long. The registries will eventually pull the plug on the unprofitable strings, or resort to premium pricing nonsense. Mark my words.

I agree. What I hope happens, like some of the ccTLDs that changed, that the TLD just becomes closed to new registrations but another registry is willing to run the TLD as long as existing domains are willing to pay the renewal fee.

-=-
Premiums I think are a problem. Gopher use to be more popular than HTTP but when University of Minn started charging for it, suddenly HTTP became more popular. People will use cheaper alternatives. Apple can get away with high prices because their products look really cool and have a market fad, but the new gTLDs just don't have that.

These new registries need to understand that .com is king, if they want to make it, they have to get developed sites on their TLD but when they not only charge a high reg fee but also a high renew fee for the very domain names that might entice someone to develop on their TLD, they are shooting themselves in the foot.

They should be encouraging development, not discouraging it.

•••
marketssingleL.GIF
Here's another reply from .markets.

"We are only releasing 3-63 character names as stated in our agreement with our Registrar partners. No one is permitted to keep the customers money and no one is being given preferential treatment. There are rules and money does not mean we forget the rules and do whatever we want. The error is unfortunate and we deeply apologize for the inconvenience. We hope you understand that we must comply with these rules that we are governed by."

So from what they're saying is that you can only reg a min. of three but why is A still active? Attached..

Also why does 101domain show 1-63 available, see attached.

Honestly I'm not sure what they're doing other than taking back domains. Time to move on from this outfit.

Last edited by a moderator:
•••
And this was with 101domain?

Best to check out the other registrars. Maybe you can find something else there but I would seriously follow up in the questions you listed above. Either they dont know what they are doing OR they have it listed incorrectly.

Just a thought.

Cheers

•••
... stay with .Market registry why You want to use markets ? its is like .coms :)

•••
... stay with .Market registry why You want to use markets ? its is like .coms :)

It was more the principle of things more so than liking the extension. I've shown the facts, I'm over it and moving on. :xf.smile:

Last edited:
•••
Define a short TLD?
7 is not horrible but its not a 2 letter ccTLD.

I would like to think they held value but I think its been tinged by the registries holding them for premium prices with premium renewals.
Most people can not see past that now because its just damn hard to find one that does not have a premium price/renewal attached to it.

Just a thought.
I keep getting offers on my one letter domains all the time. Too bad most of them are low balls, but occasionally get a serious buyer.

•••
I keep getting offers on my one letter domains all the time. Too bad most of them are low balls, but occasionally get a serious buyer.

How are you advertising your single letter domains? I own a few... I have not really advertised them for sale. I am just mostly sitting on them for the moment debating to build out or just sell off.

I am just curious on how you get the word out (I think I have one listed on Sedo).

Cheers.

•••
How are you advertising your single letter domains? I own a few... I have not really advertised them for sale. I am just mostly sitting on them for the moment debating to build out or just sell off.

I am just curious on how you get the word out (I think I have one listed on Sedo).

Cheers.
I don't advertise. They all find my through whois pretty much. These are X.XX names. (2 letter cctld country codes). Not the X.GTLD which IMO is worth much less. The value comes from the domain being short length wise.

•••
I see your point.
What would you consider a X(dot)XXX (3 letter extension) domain name.
It falls into the category of short (at least in my opinion). Just looking for your input since you have experience in this matter. I have never dealt in/with single letter domains before.

Cheers.

•••
Personally, I think its worth slightly above reg fee. One letter domains are only useful because they are short. EG. no_url_shorteners now has no_url_shorteners as a url shortner. One less character to type ;).

•••
Personally, I think its worth slightly above reg fee. One letter domains are only useful because they are short. EG. no_url_shorteners now has no_url_shorteners as a url shortner. One less character to type ;).

My shortening service that I run is NNNN.us - one more letter, but the codes are currently a lot shorter because it is specific to an industry - but really, no one ever types them. They copy and paste. However with Twitter's limit the shorter the better.

EDIT by NNNN I mean four numbers (two actually - repeated)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back