IT.COM

events March 15th-The Day on the Domain Name History

NameSilo
Watch

DN.com

VIP Member
DN.com Staff
Impact
March 15th might not be a special date for most people. But for the internet industry it might be a memorable day. The first domain name Symbolics.com was born on March 15th, 1985.

This was a revolution in the history of internet. Before the domain name was born, we need to type in the IP address to access a website. As we all know that the IP address is long and difficult to remember, to make the access more convenient, Dr. Paul Mockapetris created the domain name system and replaced the IP address with a string of characters. Hence, the change had greatly impacted the development of the internet world.

The first domain name symbolic.com was registered by a computer manufactory. The domain name was transferred to someone else after the bankruptcy of the manufactory in the early 90s’. Now the domain name belongs to XF.com Company and is redirected to XF.com.

Dating back to 30 years ago, the internet was in the sprout at that time. People were conservative to the new field, and few had registered domain names. In 1985, only 5 companies in the world had registered .com domain names. Till the end of 1987, the number of .com domain names had reached 100.

The earliest domain names included HP.com, IBM.com, Apple .com and Philips.com, etc. well-known brand names. These companies showed their extraordinary business insight and were the leaders in their industries for decades. Established in 1975, Microsoft did not register Microsoft.com until May, 1991. Yahoo.com was registered in 1995 when the company was first established. And Google.com was established in 1997, one year before the company was established.

At the same time, the top domain name .edu, .org and .net were open to register. In April 1985, purdue.edu, rice.edu and ucla.edu were registered. In June, css.gov was registered and the domain name mitre.org was registered in September.

Along with the development of internet, the number of websites increased, so does the demand of domain names. The number of top level domain name was in short, so the new top level domain names emerged. For example, .ero was designed for airline transportation; .biz is for firms, and .coop for business and industry associations; .info for information; .museum for museum; .name for personal use; .pro for professions.

Now the top level domain names are even more diversified. .Mobi is for mobile internet; .Asia for the area, .idv for individual. There are also many graphic top level domain names for different countries -- .us, .uk, .cn and so on. In 2014, the top level domain name for city name .nyc for New York City was online.

After the launch of Hypertext Transfer Protocol in 1993, the domain name stepped into a new age. Network Solutions had signed with the US government and became the exclusive register agency for .com, .org and .net domain names and start to charge for fee since 1994. In the year of 1998, the number of domain name had exceeded 1.2 million and the annual income had reached 60 million.

In the year of 1997, President Clinton authorized the US Department of Commerce to introduce nongovernmental administration and fair competition into domain name system. In 1998, the US Department of Commerce came up with a solution and set up a non-profit enterprise to take over the domain name system administration. In September of 1998, the agreement between Network Solutions and the US government ended. In Oct, the non-profit organization ICANN was established and was in charge of monitoring Internet domain name and relative IP address allocation policy and protocols. The US government will not intervene in the policies from ICANN.

Many years from then, China and Russia always protest the control of US government on the internet. However, the US Department of Commerce has created a relatively free environment for ICANN and promoted the development of the internet world. In March 10th, ICANN handed in the plan of disassociating with the US government.

The emergency of the internet has brought a free land to the world. Not a country or organization shall take control of the online world and set restrictions. The development of internet has greatly advanced the economy. We believe it will give us more surprises in the future application field. At the same time, the domain name industry will also flourish along with the booming of the internet.

Resource: http://www.amq.com/hulianwang/1342.html
Declaration: this is an informative article that do not represent official investing advice, with no intend in misleading readers.Please be open-minded and objective. Welcome varied discussion below.Thanks!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Wow! Now thats a little piece of information I didn't know. Thank you for sharing, I actually had no idea that the first domain name was Symbolics.com and back in 1985. Hahahahah I can already see eveyone thinking the same thing I am thinking... I WONDER how much that domain would be worth now! ...lol I mean imagine owning the very first domain name in History! :-o

•••
Thank You for an Excellent Post ! I had forgotten SMBLs Bday !

•••
Good information. It would have been a complete post if you include info related to prices (pre-1995, network solutions era and after 1997).

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back