Domain Empire

Managing a 1500 domain portfolio

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

FrasierCrane

Established Member
Impact
Hello All,

I come to this wonderful community, hat-in-hand, asking for some advice.

This is my very first post, but I've been an occasional lurker for some years now. About a year ago, the industry I worked in disappeared overnight with the arrival of covid, and has yet to return - and likely never will.

The good news is I own a portfolio of over 1500 mid-grade domains that I've been slowly accumulating over the past 15-20 years. Some were hand-regged, but the majority were expiring, bought at auction. The way I chose the domain was generally, if it sounded brandable, I went for it. I created software to help with the filtering process. I paid little regard to the traffic. I sold maybe 2 dozen over the years, but never put much effort into it (I only priced out a few hundred of them). The ones that I did sell, sold in the 2k range, with some significantly higher.

My question to this community is:
How would you proceed with a portfolio like this? Most were purchased in the $xxx range, although some were purchased for $x,xxx. They are 90% .com (two words, 2-10k resale est), with a few dozen high quality .org and a handful of .co (popular single words).

The options I've considered so far are:

1. Parking. This would be ideal in order to get consistent $ coming in. I've generally avoided it over the years, which in retrospect was a mistake. My biggest concerns were UDRP claims if someone happens to have trademarked a part of the domain. My other concern was, as far as I know, Google does/did used to punish previously parked domains in rankings if/when it finally becomes developed into a website. (Not sure how true this is)

2. Sales. I have a few hundred listed with BIN prices, but most don't have a price set. From what my GoDaddy account rep tells me, sales have been very strong over the past year. This is an option. But waiting the sales could take a long time.

3. Developed websites with BS/recycled content, basically made-for-adsense/affiliate links. Seems people spend years learning to successfully pull this off.

I also have some software/web development skills but I'm not sure how that would help me here.

I would be EXTREMELY grateful for any advice anyone can give me right now. My wife will probably kick me out with nothing but a pillow and my domains if I don't figure something out soon. I'm only half kidding.

Thanks in advance

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
if i was in your position i would take the time to split them into price ranges then list on dan sedo afternic etc..
then after a month park the domains with traffic at bodis for some passive income the rest have them use dan.com or sedo.com landing page

•••
I would put BINs on all of them via DAN landers. Parking revenue is tiny compared to potential sales, if your portfolio is good and you set reasonable prices there's no reason you shouldn't have a 3% sell through rate in the next 12 months (people are buying like crazy at the moment).

•••
I don't see the crazy buyers...
Last was in June'2019.

Last edited:
•••
If your domains haven't been selling in the past 12 months, either they're not good or you're asking for way too much. 6 figure sales are definitely down, because many businesses temporarily halted big expenses due to the pandemic, but sales in the $500 - $20,000 range are through the roof.

Last edited:
•••
Have you considered submitting your domains to a brandable marketplace like Alter? If accepted, we'll appraise them for you and automatically list them with our partners.

Last edited:
•••
1. Put a sales landing page for each domain use efty/Dan
2. List in afternic.com with buynow price.

•••
My question to this community is:
How would you proceed with a portfolio like this? Most were purchased in the $xxx range, although some were purchased for $x,xxx. They are 90% .com (two words, 2-10k resale est), with a few dozen high quality .org and a handful of .co (popular single words).

Hi

Add all your names to sedo first to get them accepted
once approved, then you can download list from my domains tab and save csv file
then add them to afternic
[i would use "make offer" setting on both platforms, until after reviewing ppc stats]
then add and park them at bodis
after 30 days of parking, review stats
(bodis shows registrar for each name, so you can add that info to above csv file
next
move any names that get visits but no clicks to voodoo
if those don't get clicks at voodoo, park them at sedo

from there you should have a file with all you names, and registrar, you can add columns for expire date and any earnings for each name, plus what you paid for them, sold prices, etc. if you want.

and tah---dah!

imo......

Last edited:
•••
  • Try selling your name on multiple platforms

Get help from a broker

•••
I create my own sales lander, some with affiliates and a Buy now or make offer link to Dan.

Cheers
Corey

•••
How much have your spent and what your sales?

•••
My current strategy

1. Redirect to my own landing pages
2. List on all popular platform: dan, AN, epik, GD, uniregistry, etc. with both offers & BIN
3. Promote on socials

•••
I would price all the names at 1995 - 4995 at afternic first. You need to put BIN for the Faster Transfer.

But I would first add them to sedo as well.
You can do make offer or BIN on DAN depending on whether you want to deal with offers and negotiations.

You can Pick your best 1-5% names, and price them higher

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back