IT.COM

alert Major DNS changes on Feb 1

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
DNS Flag Day is February 1, 2019--that's just two weeks one week from today. If your domain names use DNS servers that aren't ready, they'll be slow or entirely unavailable to a large percentage of the internet.

If you have multiple domain names with the same nameservers, you only need to test one in the group. For example, if half of your domains use GoDaddy's nameservers and another half use Dynadot's, you only need to test two domains, one for each provider.

Test your DNS provider's configuration here (simple) or here (technical).

Edit: Note that if these tests report "minor problems," there's no need for concern unless you operate the nameservers in question. Problems categorized as minor shouldn't cause immediate problems on Feb 1, but aren't ideal long-term. For example, in some cases, they might make it easier for attackers to abuse the affected nameservers.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
DNS Flag Day is February 1, 2019--that's just two weeks from today. If your domain names use DNS servers that aren't ready, they'll be slow or entirely unavailable to a large percentage of the internet.

If you have multiple domain names with the same nameservers, you only need to test one in the group. For example, if half of your domains use GoDaddy's nameservers and another half use Dynadot's, you only need to test two domains, one for each provider.

Test your DNS provider's configuration here (simple) or here (technical).

Thanks Paul, so I checked a domain that's using BrandBucket nameservers and got: Serious problem detected! SLOW

This domain will face issues after the 2019 DNS flag day. It will work in practice, BUT clients will experience delays when accessing this domain. We recommend you request a fix from your domain administrator! You can refer them to https://dnsflagday.net/ and
technical report https://ednscomp.isc.org/ednscomp/038f49194a

So this means BrandBucket needs to get to work?

•••
Last edited:
•••
So this means BrandBucket needs to get to work?

Most likely. BrandBucket.com uses Cloudflare, so their own site should be unaffected, but the nameservers they give to their customers are hosted on AWS EC2 and may need to be updated.

•••
@Paul Buonopane thanks...

I saw same for Undeveloped and ParkingCrew and also for GoDaddy...

Minor problems detected..

Last edited:
•••
Last edited:
•••
No problems at all with cloudns.net

•••
•••
Namesilo DNS (dnsowl) shows a bunch of warnings...
@namesilo

•••
Brandpa was down & still to slow

•••
@Dynadot

Test your domainDomain name (without www):
Testing completed:
dynadot.com: Fatal error detected!

Last edited:
•••
Yeah, I just use dynadot nameservers and... Fatal error detected and will stop working according to them.
But, I am sure that they will do something about this. @Dynadot

•••
Was this something that was known for a while that would change? Or is it something that was thrown upon the DNS world without much notice?

•••
It is the first time i found out, from this thread...

•••
It was posted on WebmasterWorld only a couple of days ago.

•••
Dont worry about the "slow", thats usually resolving multiple dns servers. Just check the outputs as each dns server is interrogated during the test.

•••
Was this something that was known for a while that would change? Or is it something that was thrown upon the DNS world without much notice?
Nobody I know knew about it until this week. I think its really for broken dns servers running very old dns software or custom dns software that does not follow standard rules. I have some dns servers running BIND 9.9.x that pass the test and those are old.

This reminds me of when SPF/DKIM was going to break the internet email system if you didnt upgrade. Its been in use for years now and most servers still do not use either.

I think if this DNS change was going to be so destructive it would be front page news and even your grandmother would have heard about it.

Last edited:
•••
Absolutely all major email providers are using SPF/DKIM/DMARC.

•••
Absolutely all major email providers are using SPF/DKIM/DMARC.
Nobody is preventing you from sending mail if you/your isp does not use them. It may be enabled on major providers, but you do not need it.

Last edited:
•••
This is not about sending...
Those policies control how such emails will be delivered to the receiver.

•••
This is not about sending...
Those policies control how such emails will be delivered to the receiver.
If you do not use SPF/DKIM on your sending server you will not be blocked by the major providers that do use them. So lack of using them on your sending server did not break anything as they told us back then it would.

•••
Yes, but if lack of such records - then you are under risk that emails FROM YOUR NAME can be sent by anybody in the world... and they will be delivered.

Last edited:
•••
Yes, but if lack of such records - then you are under risk that emails FROM YOUR NAME can be sent by anybody in the world.
ONLY if the receiving server follows SPF/DKIM rules and looks them up in DNS. They only do that IF your DNS has sending server SPD/DKIM records enabled. Its kind of silly when you think about it.

My post was that lacking this on your DNS for the sending server did not break anything.

I'm not going to argue with you if its prudent to have it, that was not the point of my post.

Last edited:
•••
NO.
If lack of records - then this will be interpreted as NEUTRAL.
So all emails (including spammers/phishers FROM YOUR NAME) will be delivered to the recipients.

•••
NO.
If lack of records - then this will be interpreted as NEUTRAL.
So all emails (including spammers/phishers FROM YOUR NAME) will be delivered to the recipients.
Which means it does NOT break anything if you do not have them. That was the point.
I'm not going to get into semantics. Lacking SPF/DKIM on your end does not break anything talking to a SPF/DKIM enabled server.

Have a nice day.

Last edited:
•••
Back