IT.COM

DNS service..... RegisterFly.com

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Hi all, I'm new to setting up a server from home and could sure use a little help about DNS services.

I need to buy a domain name and configure the DNS service using at least 2 IP addresses for the nameservers so I'm looking for a domain registrar that also provides DNS service for a good price.

It looks like RegisterFly provides this service ....When you register a domain name they have options for the following:
Default Name Servers
Choose a profile ...............Registerfly.com Nameservers
Primary Name Server ............ns.registerfly.com
Secondary Name Server ...........ns2.registerfly.com

It looks like you could use their DNS servers without any extra charge. I'm I wrong. Is there a disadvantage to this. Its not just temporary? What are they referring to when they talk about "DNS Management".

Are there other domain registrars that do this....
GoDaddy?

Any help or info would be greatly appreciated!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
not the greatest help but i belive you would need a static Ip address for the dns to forward to so you could then redirect your domian to your home server using that static IP address

also windows dns only supports ip adress not names

•••
I'm not positive, but I think that just like with most registrars, by default, they set up your domain with their name servers. All this does is basically allow you a free parked page which is sitting on their server. In order to point your domain to another server you'll need to update the name servers. You usually get the name server information you need from your Web Host when you sign up, that is if you ever do sign up with a Web Host.

What you're probably looking for is some type of dynamic dns service like ZoneEdit.com - http://www.zoneedit.com/doc/dynamic.html or DynDNS.org - http://www.dyndns.org/

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back