IT.COM

Mac OS Browser Issue, (I Think)

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
I was about to begin my exploration of IDN registration possibilities and went to Verisign to download the i-Nav plug-in and, I am not certain but believe that it is incompatable w/ the Mac version of IE and Fitefox. Any IDN folks out there that use the Mac OS platform? or any alternative search solutions?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I'm a Mac user
Macs don't need a plugin for browsers. (unless you use IE)
Most Mac users use Firefox & Safari they don't need a plugin

IE on Mac isn't supported anymore.

If the language doesn't show up it's an issue with your character set.

•••
Should have figured that MacOS had it already worked out. I'm sort of feeling my way along. I use Firefox-(IE only for sites w/ bad code). I have the character palette that came w/ Panther which seems to have some empty spaces.
Where do you get more characters? My last search deadended w/ PC compatible.

•••
It's default for users of the languages but if you want to add languages do this

1. Go to your system preference
2. hit International
3. hit edit list & check the languages you need

You should have the fonts pre installed on your system.
Hope this helps...

•••
Grrilla said:
I was about to begin my exploration of IDN registration possibilities and went to Verisign to download the i-Nav plug-in and, I am not certain but believe that it is incompatable w/ the Mac version of IE and Fitefox. Any IDN folks out there that use the Mac OS platform? or any alternative search solutions?

1. Nobody uses IE on the Mac. It is not supported and has not been updated in many many years.

2. Firefox does not support native display of IDNs. Shows punycode.

3. The default browser Safari has supported IDNs for several years now. The only issue is display of Cyrillic and Greek Install this. http://geodomain.name/idnurl.dmg.gz

•••
white_crane said:
1. Nobody uses IE on the Mac. It is not supported and has not been updated in many many years.

2. Firefox does not support native display of IDNs. Shows punycode.

3. The default browser Safari has supported IDNs for several years now. The only issue is display of Cyrillic and Greek Install this. http://geodomain.name/idnurl.dmg.gz

1. Thank you for responding.
2. I have used Firefox since the beta and prior to my conversion to Mac a couple of years ago for all of the documented reasons that people prefer Ffx over IE. Although I dislike using IE, (Mac and Window), I still find it necesary to use IE in certain situations where Safari or the Mac vers of Ffx are incompatable, (ie NP chat) or where the code is poorly written, (ie javascript errors), and my browser pages are missing something I need. (I am an IDN nQQb but not a nQQb)
3. I'm still learning about unicode-punycode issues, the mechanics involved and the screening process/whitelisting that the breowsers use to differntiate the two.
4. I will read more here and at other link sites to get a better grasp but as I see it now, a non-native speaker wishing to to do availability searches needs to:
a. Identify the character/characters from the particuar language he is searching that translates into the correct name/term (paying particular attention to nuances so as not to come up with constructs like "ground apple" or "apple of the dirt" as a translation for the French word for "potato".
b. Paste the symbol into the search bar of a IDN compliant whois SE and check results.
5. I can use Safari and my character palette/set to enter idn names into my search bar to go to sites.

Am I on the right path?

Last edited:
•••
Grrilla said:
a. Identify the character/characters from the particuar language he is searching that translates into the correct name/term (paying particular attention to nuances so as not to come up with constructs like "ground apple" or "apple of the dirt" as a translation for the French word for "potato".
b. Paste the symbol into the search bar of a IDN compliant whois SE and check results.
5. I can use Safari and my character palette/set to enter idn names into my search bar to go to sites.

Am I on the right path?

Sounds like you are to me , check out http://IDNebook.com we have a Free A-Z tutorial on how to reg a IDN , Also there is information on how you can get your money back if you get a translation wrong . Happy RegN :)

•••
genius' IDNebook describes most IDNer's regging habits.

Here is a short rundown:

1. Check target word in online dictionary, Wikipedia, etc. - like "book" - Wikipedia gives the Russian word for book as "Книга".

2. Check this term for Google results, check US Ovt, for Russian words you can check an Ovt-like tool at wordstat.yandex.ru. Check Google images to verify you have the correct translation, etc.

3. Check availability at a registrar of choice. Many use Domainsite for IDNs because their availability check is IDN compatible (no need to change to punycode).

Many of us do not speak most of the languages we invest in. The abundance of online dictionaries and translators along with Wikipedia has made IDNing much easier.

Good luck.

Last edited:
•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back