IT.COM

ccTLD .lu will be open for registration, interesting?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

DragonADR

Account Closed
Impact
.lu Registry has dropped the restrcitions for .lu Domains. From 01.02.2010 there is no longer a local presence needed to register a .lu Domain.

Will .lu be an interesting TLD?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
From 1 February onwards?

Well, I am a native Belgian (not living in Belgium anymore though) so with Luxembourg being a close neighbour the ccTLD has some interest to me, but then that's probably because I grew up with Luxembourg being close. For someone from an entirely different area the ccTLD will remain an obscure one I think, unless one has business interests in Luxembourg.

I wonder what the reasons are for dropping the local presence restriction as, despite this restriction, .lu was already a fairly active extention especially for a country with such a small population and size.

•••
Basicly the registry has launched IDN sunrise and they wanted to push .lu, I think that's the reason why they opened the Domain for everyone.

•••
I have a couple of .lu domains, I didn't know there was any restriction.

•••
Where did you register them? If you check, you will see, that you are, if you don't have an address in Luxembourg, not the admin contact.

•••
which is the most reliable registar for .lu domains?

•••
hi,

i've finnally regged two domains

JeuxVideo.lu
VideoSpiele.lu

the same word but in the two languages of the country, french and deutch.

Opinions are welcome.

•••
The ccTLDs follow different rules to .com when it comes to direct navigation. There has to be a good sized audience for the ccTLD and it has to be mature enough for direct navigation domains to work. People have to type the URL into their browser's address bar thinking that there should be such a site. The size of the ccTLD is also a factor.

Regards...jmcc

•••
hi,

i've finnally regged two domains

JeuxVideo.lu
VideoSpiele.lu

the same word but in the two languages of the country, french and deutch.

Opinions are welcome.

As small as it may be, Luxembourg has not two but three official languages. French, German, and Letzebürgs (which is officially a separate language even though it does sound a bit like a mixture of German and French)

So you may want to reg the Letzeburgish version of the keyword as well ;)

OVH is cheap and good but somehow I cannot change the country of residence in my control panel. So it seems OVH is assuming people only move within their own country, and that emigration doesn't exist? I am no longer living in the same country as where I lived when I bought the .com domain I regged with OVH, but I cannot even update my address simply because the country field cannot be changed >:( So even though they are cheap, I doubt I'll use OVH again in the future.

•••
Great someone knowing Letzeburgish <lol>

•••
Hi, if anyone can inform me where to register .lu domain, I would be so grateful. Thanks :)

•••
•••
•••
hello, anyone knows how many people speak Letzeburgish? does it worth to reg a word in such language under .lu? Thanks.

•••
Wikipedia has articles in Letzeburgish. So go to Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia and go to the article in English, then on the left side in the menu change the language to Letzeburgish and it will display the same article in Letzeburgish.

I think this is the best translator you can have, maybe along with Google translator. More advanced options are often limited to less obscure languages.

Letzeburgish is nice, it sounds cute :) I was first exposed to it when attending a soccer (football) game in Luxembourg. It was FC Wiltz against FC Dudelange, but when translating the names of those villages to Letzeburgish it became FC Wooltz against FC Diddeleng :) One drunk fan was standing in the rain the whole game shouting "Oh Diddeleng, Oh Diddeleng" non stop! The language was quite actively used I remember, even when the road signs, official notice boards etc were in French or German, the citizens all spoke Letzeburgish against each other.

•••
Do they allow 2 letter domains?

Lu.Lu would be nice. :p

I don't see a mad rush for these, hopefully, though people are strange.

•••
It is a domain that, IMO, is interesting only locally: for local citizens and for local businesses or businesses dealing with the Luxembourg market. The fact the country, as small as it is, is trilingual can open some doors as keywords can be registered 3x with more or less same value. But other than that ... Maybe it can grow a bit because Luxembourg is a rich country with a very high internet penetration, but what's that worth in a country with less than 500000 citizens? I never understood why, if your target area is that small, they had restrictions in the first place.

•••
Not a lot of sales in this extension. I've seen top keywords sell for €€€. Unless you are a local end user, .lu has limited value IMO. I own just a couple.

•••
the only domain I want is swinef.lu :P
but taken

•••
•••
So... Anyone ever sold a .lu domain name?

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back