IT.COM

new gtlds Love or Hate?

NameSilo
Watch

Love or Hate?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • I love nGTLDs

votes
    48.6%
  • I hate nGTLDs

votes
    51.4%
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

Wass

Established Member
Impact
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I love them! Hate Uni ngtlds!

•••
Love and hate are strong words, confused is how I descripe my feeling

•••
I can't hate / love them, I can only hate / love my / others decisions.
But it's great to see that verisign is 'not longer alone on the field'.

Last edited:
•••
Wrong question. These names have their huge quality differences. Some are fantastic, some other are below the average. As any other domain.

•••
You can be skeptical too, which is none of the above.
Or you can be in favor of new TLDs, but dislike they way they are being rolled out, or dislike the lack of ethics exhibited by the registries etc...

•••
Thank you Kate for this thread!

I will follow the results.

I love good new gTLDs!

•••
I hate them

But I love them if someone buys them

•••
I don't love them but I like them very much :)

•••
I love the ones that are high quality, expired and affordable.

•••
•••
Off to the side of NP I saw only "Love or Hate?" and I said to myself "Not another nGTLD thread!"

•••
Anyway, we shouldn't love extensions, but love profits :)

•••
I like new extensions as an Internet user. I think many of them are cool and with the right kws they create nice brands. But as a domain investor, they are pretty much worthless in my eyes (or more precise, too unstable to invest in atm).

And I think a lot of newbies are missing the point... A (ngtld) domain name can be appealing/good but that doesn't automatically make it a good investment.

And thus, the common saying "a good name is a good name" simply isn't true from the domain investing perspective.

IMO...

•••
We need third option - "meh"

•••
I think the biggest issue is that most people are classifying nGTLD's all in the same bucket.

IMO, not all nGTLD's are created equal. The ones with premium renewal fee's and dedicated to a particular industry are the ones that are giving all nGTLD's a bad wrap... I have faith in some of the good ones... The other issue is that they released way too many nGTLD's which was downright idiotic to even do.

I see this pricing increase by Uniregistry as the best thing that could ever happen to nGTLD's - All the nGTLD's there affected are part of what I believe are the "problem" nGTLD's... so I consider this somewhat of a purge.. let all the cr@ppy extensions get purged leaving only the good nGLTD's standing...like online/ club/ global/ a handfull of others...

Last edited:
•••
•••
I see this pricing increase by Uniregistry as the best thing that could ever happen to nGTLD's - All the nGTLD's there affected are part of what I believe are the "problem" nGTLD's... so I consider this somewhat of a purge.. let all the cr@ppy extensions get purged leaving only the good nGLTD's standing...like online/ club/ global/ a handfull of others...
It's extremely bad news actually.
People already have a negative perception and don't distinguish between 'good' and 'bad' TLDs: https://www.reddit.com/r/sysadmin/comments/5z1ej2/ntld_extensions_are_already_failing/
They talk of new extensions in general, they don't say it's just a handful of them or just Uniregistry's. All new TLDs are tarnished with the same brush.

Indeed, even if the other registries don't indulge in the same practices today, they might tomorrow. Nothing is holding them back. Personally I am not willing to take a chance.
I am sure that some people used to love their TLDs, until they were repossessed or they got notification that the renewal fee would be increased tenfold or more.
Between lovers and haters, we also have lovers cheated on :-P

•••
It's extremely bad news actually.
People already have a negative perception and don't distinguish between 'good' and 'bad' TLDs: https://www.reddit.com/r/sysadmin/comments/5z1ej2/ntld_extensions_are_already_failing/
They talk of new extensions in general, they don't say it's just a handful of them or just Uniregistry's. All new TLDs are tarnished with the same brush.

Indeed, even if the other registries don't indulge in the same practices today, they might tomorrow. Nothing is holding them back. Personally I am not willing to take a chance.
I am sure that some people used to love their TLDs, until they were repossessed or they got notification that the renewal fee would be increased tenfold or more.
Between lovers and haters, we also have lovers cheated on :-P

Lol... yep, lots of negative press at the moment.. and yeah most of them are directed at nGTLD's as a whole without separating the good from the bad. - Fortunately, though, in this day and age...the media and public perception is fickle and can change. When a market segment dips, many wise investors grab "stock" at dirt cheap prices from people in a panic who try to offload their stock quickly... I think the opportunity exists for some to grab a few good gems at rock bottom prices at the moment... and wait it out until the negative publicity dies down and after the "purge" is complete. None of the nGTLD's I invested in are affected with the Uniregistry pricing issue, because I only invest in nGTLD's that make sense in the extensions that make sense (like the ones I mentioned on my previous comment above)

Last edited:
•••
Sometimes Love Sometime Hate.....:xf.smile:

If any nGtld have low Fee Reg. then love... if Expensive Price then hate..Lol hehehehehe...:xf.grin::xf.wink:

•••
•••
I hate because it have restrictions....

•••
hmm never thought of it that way...I like it. Purge, baby, purge

•••
I think like/don't like is better love/hate :)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back