Domain Empire

Lost money on GoDaddy auction win

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

bowskie

Established Member
Impact
So I won an auction for a 6N .com on GoDaddy (expired domain).
Previous owner must have left the domain to expire to see what the final bid would be, before then renewing the domain.

No big deal so I didn't get the domain in the end.

Just checked my bank statement today to see that I ended up losing money due to exchange rate change from when I paid to when I was reimbursed the money by GoDaddy.

Has anyone else experienced this?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
So I won an auction for a 6N .com on GoDaddy (expired domain).
Previous owner must have left the domain to expire to see what the final bid would be, before then renewing the domain.

No big deal so I didn't get the domain in the end.

Just checked my bank statement today to see that I ended up losing money due to exchange rate change from when I paid to when I was reimbursed the money by GoDaddy.

Has anyone else experienced this?
Next time pay in Bitcoin. It's very stable! ;)

•••
Joe Styler was last seen: Wednesday at 1:26 PM
Paul Nicks was last seen: Friday at 2:29 PM

OK it is a holiday weekend, so making a reminder to myself to bump this thread Wed 5 July and tag Joe and Paul if not answered sooner with an official ruling : smile :

When the amounts are large it really does make a difference, or even if it is just a large volume of transactions, it adds up.

•••
@Joe Styler @Paul Nicks

Would you be so kind as to confirm the best procedure to avoid this potential conversion loss? Thanks!

•••
I don't think there's an easy answer here. All Auction bids are placed in USD, and if we have to refund due to a canceled auction, the refund will be in USD as well.

•••
Assuming it works as GoDaddy have said, then wouldn't the following happen:
1) I contact GD to tell them that I want to bid on e.g. XXXXX.com (Expired domain), where the bid currency is set as USD
2) GD would then change the settings for that particular auction within my account so that I am actually bidding in GBP (in my case), the conversion taking place using their set exchange rate at the time
3) I win the auction and pay for the domain in GBP
4) Customer renews and I am reimbursed the same amount as originally paid in GBP
You cannot change the currency for auctions. You can for all the other products I know of that we sell. It is very possible that they were confused. It is always best to direct auction questions to [email protected] rather than general support. You can always change the currency you see on the website and it will show the auctions in that currency but when you actually bid and pay it will change to USD. This is because we want everyone's bid to count the same and forex fluctuates constantly. We don't want someone to be bidding against you with a more favorable currency exchange rate during the auction and wind up paying less than you. We want everyone bidding in the same currency. A ten day auction can allow for multiple fluctuations.

The only way to do what you are asking about prefunding an account is to use our good as gold option. https://www.godaddy.com/help/set-up-good-as-gold-7562? If you set this up and pay with this option after winning the auction then if a refund happens it will be refunded to the payment method used which would be Good As Gold which is kept in your account as USD. You can pre-fund it and add funds as well, https://www.godaddy.com/help/add-money-to-good-as-gold-727?

•••
I don't think there's an easy answer here. All Auction bids are placed in USD, and if we have to refund due to a canceled auction, the refund will be in USD as well.
You cannot change the currency for auctions. You can for all the other products I know of that we sell. It is very possible that they were confused. It is always best to direct auction questions to [email protected] rather than general support. You can always change the currency you see on the website and it will show the auctions in that currency but when you actually bid and pay it will change to USD. This is because we want everyone's bid to count the same and forex fluctuates constantly. We don't want someone to be bidding against you with a more favorable currency exchange rate during the auction and wind up paying less than you. We want everyone bidding in the same currency. A ten day auction can allow for multiple fluctuations.

The only way to do what you are asking about prefunding an account is to use our good as gold option. https://www.godaddy.com/help/set-up-good-as-gold-7562? If you set this up and pay with this option after winning the auction then if a refund happens it will be refunded to the payment method used which would be Good As Gold which is kept in your account as USD. You can pre-fund it and add funds as well, https://www.godaddy.com/help/add-money-to-good-as-gold-727?

Thank you for the response, I thought as much.

I will look into the Godaddy pre-fund option in the future. I already have experience of this on the Pheenix platform.

Last edited:
•••
I think the problems is not about loss in currency convertion! but problems is, when the domain owner trick us, and renew that domain in last minute! personally that kind of strategy are a little bit to extremes! :)
I won the auction yipee! but after few hours! ooops, the owner renew that domain! LMAO!

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back