Dynadot

alert Lost domain on Sav.com because they've forgot to renew it

NameSilo
Watch

Robot

Established Member
Impact
So, this keeps getting better and better. After many complaints (ie. 1, 2, 3) about how Sav went nuts lately, here is my contribution in TLDR:

April 6th: won the domain name on auction (won't state which one because I still do have hopes to catch it with 3rd party drop-catch service but can provide evidence to very trusted members),
- received a mail about successful transaction, domain lingered for some time in my account (not sure how much tho but it was more than a week),

photo_2023-04-24 21.15.54.jpeg

April 22nd: while deleting my mails I've noticed that domain is missing from my account and is in RGP. Decided to send mail immediately to check what the f*ck is going on.
- waited for 3 days to get response back.

photo_2023-04-24 21.30.44.jpeg

April 24th: received a response about a refund of $12 informing me it was a mistake on their end. They won't be paying RGP fee to Verisign and as a result I won't be getting my domain name back.

photo_2023-04-24 21.32.38.jpeg

My response:
photo_2023-04-24 21.33.41.jpeg

Note: domain actually expired like 40 days before the auction start date. That is a normal thing, but they needed to renew it once the auction was closed with winner.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Yeah, sav has way too many issues to be considered a safe registrar.

Sorry about your domain :(

Ps. Kind of hilarious that namepros is showing me an ad for sav under your post.

•••
Yeah, sav has way too many issues to be considered a safe registrar.

Sorry about your domain :(

Ps. Kind of hilarious that namepros is showing me an ad for sav under your post.
You don't say.
Screenshot 2023-04-25 at 00.04.22.png

•••
Last edited:
•••
Did you verify the domain was actually received and was in your account after you won the auction? In their response it sounds like someone listed a domain that wasn’t registered at Sav and it failed to transfer, so they refunded you. That makes it sound like it was a seller issue. Does the Whois info show Sav as the registrar?

•••
Did you verify the domain was actually received and was in your account after you won the auction? In their response it sounds like someone listed a domain that wasn’t registered at Sav and it failed to transfer, so they refunded you. That makes it sound like it was a seller issue. Does the Whois info show Sav as the registrar?
Yes, I did verify. The domain was in my account for at least a week. It was not a customer auction, it was an expired auction. Whois info shows Sav as the registrar.

•••
Yes, I did verify. The domain was in my account for at least a week. It was not a customer auction, it was an expired auction. Whois info shows Sav as the registrar.
Yeah, if owner renewed it after the fact it would make sense for you to lose it, however if it wasn't renewed by past dropper to put it up for auction as a backorder seems wrong, they should really renew and give it to you even if it cost sav $80 to do so to protect their rep. I would vouch that 99% of the time sav is a good register, but things like this hurt their rep and I hope you get a better outcome.

•••
Yeah, if owner renewed it after the fact it would make sense for you to lose it, however if it wasn't renewed by past dropper to put it up for auction as a backorder seems wrong, they should really renew and give it to you even if it cost sav $80 to do so to protect their rep. I would vouch that 99% of the time sav is a good register, but things like this hurt their rep and I hope you get a better outcome.
Previous owner renewing the domain is out of question as the domain is in redemption grace period (meaning no renewal has taken place and the domain is going to drop soon). Also, I'm not aware of any situation on Sav where the previous owner had the ability to renew domain past auction end time. As far as I know, domains are usually deleted from previous owner's account way before auction end time? Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

•••
For me I had dropcatched a domain from Sav. Supposedly they had caught the domain. Charged me, sent a receipt and confirmation that the domain was in my account. Months later the domain sold. I go into my account to make the transfer and it's not there! I reach out to support and they say Oops we actually did not catch the domain, sorry for the inconvenience. We will refund you the $29. I lost out on thousands because of their mistake! Continuous mistakes at Sav!

•••
"Other registrars may list a domain for auction immediately after it expires, while it is still in Auto-Renew Grace Period. This means that even if you are the highest bidder in the auction, the previous registrant could still renew the domain and you will walk away empty handed."
https://blog.sav.com/backordering-t...e “direct transfer,free to renew their domain.

So your right sav does not allow them to renew the domain after you win the auction. Dynadot is one that gives them 3 days after the expired auction to renew. So yeah I guess it's nice sav doesn't do that but bad that they let your domain go into redemption. Have you considered offering to pay the $80 redemption fee if sav would hand-over the domain?

•••
For me I had dropcatched a domain from Sav. Supposedly they had caught the domain. Charged me, sent a receipt and confirmation that the domain was in my account. Months later the domain sold. I go into my account to make the transfer and it's not there! I reach out to support and they say Oops we actually did not catch the domain, sorry for the inconvenience. We will refund you the $29. I lost out on thousands because of their mistake! Continuous mistakes at Sav!
Yeah, so sad for you my friend :xf.frown:.

I've anticipated something is going on when I saw complaints from other NP members and that's why I moved majority of my portfolio to safer registrar even before all this crap. Now I just have about 20 names on them and that will be moved out soon. I really liked them because of unmatched price to value ratio and very kind support but they've handled this case terribly...

Few days ago, I just noticed one new player with prices like Sav and I think this is the time to give them a try (they even have priceless domain name)...

Have you considered offering to pay the $80 redemption fee if sav would hand-over the domain?
They've actually offered but why would I pay for their mistakes? Yeah, the domain was a steal for $12 but I'm man of my principles. I've learned a lesson, time to move on.

Screenshot 2023-04-25 at 03.10.19.png

•••
They've actually offered but why would I pay for their mistakes? Yeah, the domain was a steal for $12 but I'm man of my principles. I've learned a lesson, time to move on.
If the domain is good enough maybe at first I thought you were end-user for it as money would be no issue. If you are reselling it yeah you got to weigh the pros and the cons of paying redemption fee. Either way it stinks that you had to go through all this to not get domain for $12.

•••
If the domain is good enough maybe at first I thought you were end-user for it as money would be no issue. If you are reselling it yeah you got to weigh the pros and the cons of paying redemption fee. Either way it stinks that you had to go through all this to not get domain for $12.
Yeah, shame on me for letting it go ☺️.

The final price would be like around $12 for the name + around $80 for the recovery fee. It is probably not worth that much money for the casual domainer, but might be attractive for the right end user. I simply like it because it is short and catchy.

•••
Previous owner renewing the domain is out of question as the domain is in redemption grace period (meaning no renewal has taken place and the domain is going to drop soon). Also, I'm not aware of any situation on Sav where the previous owner had the ability to renew domain past auction end time. As far as I know, domains are usually deleted from previous owner's account way before auction end time? Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

If the auction ends without bids, the domain returns to the owner's account for the last few days of the registration period. I know it firsthand.

•••
If the auction ends without bids, the domain returns to the owner's account for the last few days of the registration period. I know it firsthand.
Yeah, I can confirm this too. But this one was obviously with bids. :xf.smile:
photo_2023-04-29 19.15.37.jpeg

•••
So, this keeps getting better and better. After many complaints (ie. 1, 2, 3) about how Sav went nuts lately, here is my contribution in TLDR:

April 6th: won the domain name on auction (won't state which one because I still do have hopes to catch it with 3rd party drop-catch service but can provide evidence to very trusted members),
- received a mail about successful transaction, domain lingered for some time in my account (not sure how much tho but it was more than a week),

Show attachment 236404

April 22nd: while deleting my mails I've noticed that domain is missing from my account and is in RGP. Decided to send mail immediately to check what the f*ck is going on.
- waited for 3 days to get response back.

Show attachment 236405

April 24th: received a response about a refund of $12 informing me it was a mistake on their end. They won't be paying RGP fee to Verisign and as a result I won't be getting my domain name back.

Show attachment 236406

My response:
Show attachment 236408

Note: domain actually expired like 40 days before the auction start date. That is a normal thing, but they needed to renew it once the auction was closed with winner.
Gutted - sorry to hear about your experience. I've only had a few domains get to auction, but haven't had issues like yours. Do you trust them as a registrar or do you tend to move your domains elsewhere if you win them through Sav?

•••

u arent wrong. u are beyond wrong.

on sav and most other places domains remain after expiry in account for 30 or 40 days.. as long as possible
...but let's talk about sav... they sit in account for 30day past expiry ready to.renew with 1 click. after that auction time for 10 day. if no.bid they in fact stll go back to account to renew for some 5 or 10 days.. then its redemption fees etc.... the only thing I'm not sure of is if owner can pay extra redemptin fee to.renew while auction ongoing..which would settle your issue..however I doubt that he can. there all better clear now

Last edited:
•••
u arent wrong. u are beyond wrong.

on sav and most other places domains remain after expiry in account for 30 or 40 days.. as long as possible
...but let's talk about sav... they sit in account for 30day past expiry ready to.renew with 1 click. after that auction time for 10 day. if no.bid they in fact stll go back to account to renew for some 5 or 10 days.. then its redemption fees etc.... the only thing I'm not sure of is if owner can pay extra redemptin fee to.renew while auction ongoing..which would settle your issue..however I doubt that he can. there all better clear now
I was the highest bidder. Domain was awarded to my account after the auction ended. They have forgotten to renew it and openly admitted their fault. The domain was removed from my account long after the auction ended. The domain was not returned to original owner but dropped. I am not sure what are you talking about? Did you even read my post? :facepalm:

•••
half-a-dozen nice COMs "fell thru the cracks" @ SAV : AIjct jetDE <-- ones like that 5L

also moved all my ICUs to SAV & LQQK what they did to me there...

for me it's Bye-Bye SAV...

Cheers !

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back