IT.COM

advice Looking for leads: Add another step to the routine

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

tvanrijt

Top Member
Impact
Hey all,

As I am still new, this might very well be old news to most of you, but for all newbies like me and people who haven't run into this problem yet, I have noticed a possible problem when looking for leads. For the tl;dr people amongst us: skip to the last paragraph.

First, I'll take you to the normal process before buying a domain (just to have some sort of cliffhanger):
  • Is there search volume?
  • Is the PPC decent?
  • Are other extensions taken?
  • Are other extensions developed?
  • Are there a lot of developed websites that would improve their url by buying this domain?
    • checked through zfbot
    • checked through Google
  • Are there previous similar sales in namebio?
If all the boxes are checked, I end up with good data and a lot of possible leads, so would be a good buy, right?

I bought a geo domain 2 weeks back based on it having positive answers on all of the above. Now it was time to reach end users.

I had the domain geoprofession.com, lets say its londonplumbers.com. I saw the following developed websites from different companies:
london-plumbers.com
plumberslondon.com (weaker search volume)
plumbersinlondon.com
londonplumbers.net
london-plumbers.net
etc...

Turns out: 80% of all of these websites had the same owner in the whois data.

I made some searches on the guy and he actually owned almost all of the possible domains and offered his services (website plus fitting url) to plumbers in london who weren't very visible on the web. Very interesting business approach that immediately cut my obvious leads from around 20 to 3. If a plumber (in this case) is visible through this service, the chance of him paying for a better domain is not very high.

Lesson learnt: Add checking the whois data to your routine. Don't just assume 20 different developed websites have 20 different owners. See if the whois data still gives you a lot of different leads. It might give you some surprises.

Hope it helps at least 1 of you guys.

Happy hunting!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back