Domain Empire

LLLL.coms... Predictions

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

OddTop

The eBay GuyEstablished Member
Impact
Are LLLL.com's good to invest in? IF I can get mediocre domains like.. UPCY.com, will it be worth something more someday?

I'd hate it if in 10 years decent LLLL.coms were selling for 500-600 dollars and I didn't invest in any.

Any predictions on where this market is going?

;),
Oly

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Olympia said:
I'd hate it if in 10 years decent LLLL.coms were selling for ...
Wow... 10 years :'( :'( I thought it will be sooner
10 years reg. fee costs me 10x8 dollars per name :(

•••
I guess those names are quiet a good to invest . Since most 3 letter names are gone so i think now the time must be for 4 letters domain.

•••
Silhouette said:
Wow... 10 years :'( :'( I thought it will be sooner
10 years reg. fee costs me 10x8 dollars per name :(

If they sell for $600 in 10 years time then that's $520 profit per name. If you had 100 of them, then that's a profit of $52k. Not bad, eh?

•••
Ben said:
If they sell for $600 in 10 years time then that's $520 profit per name. If you had 100 of them, then that's a profit of $52k. Not bad, eh?
not bad though.. :)
btw, i dont own that quantity... :)

•••
i am regging as many good ones as i can now. The key is prouncability and brandability. You are more likely to succeed with a name like zorv.com (i own this name) than efbs.com etc...

There are not many 4 letter .coms left so they will go up in value. A few years ago you could pick up a 3 letter .com for cheap so i think 4 letter .coms will take that path.

•••
Well I also own many 4 letter names. As I don't want to cry afterwards when they are selling for $500 to $1000. :D

•••
kevmacmeh said:
The key is prouncability and brandability.

Exactly. Random LLLL.com's wont worth anything in the near future (1-2years) imho, but pronouncable four-letter ones are already selling good, and it is very rare to find good ones now.

•••
I don't see random LLLL.com domains ever catching on. There are too many of them.

•••
I dont think they will catch on, theres too many. Looking at a good few years before they are worth something unless ofcourse its a word.

•••
apart from the worst combinations, the minimum reseller price for LLLL.com is approaching reg fee circa $8-12, so it is virtually a safe bet to have a portfolio of them.

•••
If you guys want to keep track of how many 4 letter .com's are being regged and dumped back into the pool you can check out the domain bash link in my sig, then go to the "unregistered domains" page - the list is broken down A-Z, and at the top of each page is the update record - when the update was done, and how many were available at the time of the update.

For example, here's the update info for all 4 letter .com starting with A:

This list was compiled on: 4-22-06
4-22-06 Update: 804 of 17,576 available for registration.
4-10-06 Update: 829 of 17,576 available for registration.
4-04-06 Update: 979 of 17,576 available for registration
3-29-06 Update: 1,143 of 17,576 available for registration.

then the available list follows....

as you can see, from the time of the first update on 3-29-06, to the last update (today) 339 (4 letter .com starting with A) have been registered.

Enjoy-
J

•••
Manic-

Great resource. There still are lots of LLLL.com's available out there. Every once and a while you can find a nice one, but they are hard to come by now. Pronunciable LLLL.com's are selling for at least $25 now.

•••
plenty of 4 letter domains still available, most of the single word domains are gone though. It will probably take a while before all 4 letter domains are gone - but they'll all be worth plenty in about 5 years from now :)

•••
kevmacmeh said:
The key is prouncability and brandability. You are more likely to succeed with a name like zorv.com (i own this name) than efbs,com etc...
I agree with you. I don't think random LLLL combinations will be worth much in the future. 3 random letters are easy to type and remember. 4 random letters like efbs,com may be pushing it a bit.

Unless it's brandable or initials for a well known group or government agency, for example, then it won't be worth much IMHO.

zorv.com - that's a great name! :)

•••
•••
So stay way from domains like efbs? I understand that pronouncible domains are worth more, but wont these domains be worth something too?

I mean, all of them are gone for one. The only ones left are with the horrid letters. This means they at least have to be worth reg fee.

And if you have something like efbs.com I'm pretty sure you could sell it for about $15 at least in a year from now (when a couple of rich domainers that want a long term investment reg the last llll.coms).

A good financial investment is typcally 4-5% profit a year. I see these as far far better than that.

(By the way, I just regged Jirf.com because of your suggestions).

•••
Olympia said:
So stay way from domains like efbs? I understand that pronouncible domains are worth more, but wont these domains be worth something too?
Who knows...?

Maybe they will, maybe they won't. :)

It all depends if you can find someone who thinks they can make money with it. The chances of someone making money from it depend on how marketable it is, the harder it is for them to promote and brand it, and for people to remember and type it (etc etc), the harder it will be for you to find a buyer who's willing to pay anything for it.

It's more of a gamble with random letter combinations or even random letter/number combinations.

No one can predict the future. Take the gamble if you think it'll be worth it :)

•••
i was going to reg that name aswell! I was pondering over it as i remember a company going by that name. i think they are a jewellery company in the UK?

I use justdropped.com and you are able to see search for 4 letter .coms that have deleted in the last 4 hours, 24 hours and 7 days etc....

Should have regged jirf.com while i had the chance :'(

B33R said:
zorv.com - that's a great name! :)

Thanks. I regged that a few weeks ago and it is growing on me a bit. Don't know what to develop it on now

•••
Personally, I would reg (assuming I had the money) any LLLL that is pronunciable, has all premium letters, or would lend itself to an ancronym.

•••
Is something like qtbe.com considered brandable? or pronounceable?
if so, it's still unregged --- oh no....sorry, I just checked again and
a domibot scooped it since my last check on it . What's a domibot?
and how did it know what I searched?

•••
Great resource, thanks!

I agree that 4L .com's that are pronounceable, brandable, or an acronym will have the greatest appreciation in value down the road. I'm not convinced these will ever approach the value of the 3L as there are too many available.

ManicGirl said:
If you guys want to keep track of how many 4 letter .com's are being regged and dumped back into the pool you can check out the domain bash link in my sig, then go to the "unregistered domains" page - the list is broken down A-Z, and at the top of each page is the update record - when the update was done, and how many were available at the time of the update.

as you can see, from the time of the first update on 3-29-06, to the last update (today) 339 (4 letter .com starting with A) have been registered.

Enjoy-
J

•••
fonzie_007 said:
Personally, I would reg (assuming I had the money) any LLLL that is pronunciable, has all premium letters, or would lend itself to an ancronym.

agreed there. I have a nice wee collection of pronouncable 4 letter .coms now. I accidently backordered woqo.com on pool last week but i really like it now as it is very easy to type (try it yourself :hehe: ) and i heard loco.com went for $50,000 on sedo i think

ManicGirl said:

Enjoy-
J

That it is a fanatstic resource Manic. Ive bookmarked it and ill trawl through it tommorrow and if i reg any ill send some $np :)

•••
I'm expecting the 4 letter domains to run out next year. Around this time last year there were 140000 available unregistered 4 letter domains and now there is less than 90000. I believe that the rate of purchasing unregistered 4 letter domains is slowly accelerating but they are being purchased in a wave like fashion where one week will have a lot registered and will often be followed by a quiet week.

As the number of 4 letter domains available drops, the criteria of what makes a 4 letter domain worth registering improves. I think that in 6 months time you will see that random non premium letters will be OK for some people who are registering 4 letter domains. My belief is that the market of tomorrow currently don't know what a domain name is and have none and when they enter the domain name market they will want any 4 letter domain for their site as they will know that it is a safe investment (the domain will retain it's value).

When I started discussing 4 letter domains early June last year, I had people telling me that domains like eayz.com weren't worth anything more than reg fee. I've turned down an offer for $70 for the domain as I know that I can sell it for more than that. I wouldn't underestimate the value of random non premium letters in a rush.

ManicGirl, I like your site too B-)

My blog on unregistered 4 letter domains

•••
thanks for the site manic.

Maybe i'll take a random pick, and hopefully I'll choose a good 4-letter .com.. my chances are...oh.. they're not bad, only 1 in 2000.

I was just thinking about how much ESPN.com would be worth... frankly I probably would have overlooked it if it was available a long time ago.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back