Dynadot

Listing Names at TDNAM

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Hi!

It is old case for sure, but now maybe solution is easier!

When adding names to TDNAM, if specific names are already listed by previous owners
the red error message "already listed" appears and can not list.
Need to contact support, waiting days etc etc.
Now after GDRP, TDNAM inserted the DNS TXT Record verification like other marketplaces.
Why as DNS Record is 100% safe for ownership, do not allow to list names that are already listed as can be verified automatically?
Would save much much time and effort.

If GD representative is here would like opinion

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
If I understand what you are asking it is if there is a txt record to verify ownership why not remove any names that do not have this? If that is the question its because its a big change for existing users and removing all the listings and making them re-list them and update DNS is not easy to do and likely will upset a lot of people.
If you are asking if you put in a txt record to verify your domain will that show you own the domain vs another listing , the answer is yes.
Also any name registered with us we auto verify as we know who owns it. We do not let another account list a domain that is registered with us, it needs to be listed on the auctions in the account it is registered in.

•••
No no, NO REMOVALS.
At other marketplaces when someone adds a list of names, they try
to verify that he is the owner.
If he is, with whatever method, names removed from the other accounts.
At TDNAM if someone listed a domain before 10 years and after it name changed 5 owners, tdnam will have the first owner still as new owners can not list it.
So the correct tactic, as all other marketplaces do, is when someone adds names to be tested if he is the owner and not drop a message that names are already listed (by previous owners).
TXT Record is just a very good method to verify and not obligatory.
Actually half of my names ( and i have big number) are listed at TDNAM from others
and are not in my account.
Is very boring and time costly every time to contact support(and now support can not verify without WHOIS)

•••
That is not how it works if you have the domains listed and registered at GoDaddy. If the names were registered elsewhere and verified as owned by the old owner at the time of listing via whois then we listed them for sale. The owner would have to click the links in the emails we sent to verify ownership. It was then their responsibility to remove those listings when they no longer owned the domains.
If the domain passed through our expired auctions it would automatically de-list. If the domain was dropped it would be scanned and removed. In some cases names were missed.
If the domain is sold outside our system and we are not told we don't know it changed hands.
With the new GDPR rules many companies have made the WHOIS dark. This changed our verification process and now there is txt record verification.
If you can prove you own the domain you can list it.
With over 13 million domains on the platform for sale no solution is going to work 100%. There's 100's of thousands of changes a month in domain ownership on the platform. You simply cannot check that many names because the various companies running the whois or DNS for them would be getting the equivalent of a DDOS attack with us asking for info from them so often on so many names. We also have a primary registration business to run and need to ask for availability on many more names each day to see what people can and cannot register. We have to balance our data requests with what the current market and companies can bear. We are pretty accurate with what we have and are changing as the market does to keep up with verification which is why we added txt verification. We are doing a few more internal releases around this soon to make it even more robust.

•••
Also any name registered with us we auto verify as we know who owns it. We do not let another account list a domain that is registered with us, it needs to be listed on the auctions in the account it is registered in.

Whilst I can understand your process. I think you are making that rather cumbersome for both you and owners. If a domain is in our account. Then we own it. If that account tries to list it on GoDaddy Auctions, it should supercede any other listing of that domain, since it is no longer in the other persons account. This would be much simpler for both you and the current owner, than the current owner of the domain having to go thru some process, of getting the old listing cancelled, because the domain was locked to a previous owners account.

I'll take any savings you might have in renewal of my DDC for x number of years :) <joke>

Last edited:
•••
i have my names at other registrars because prices are much better.
And it is not working as you are writing.
For example.
I buy today 10 names.
These 10 names are listed at tdnam by old owners.
If i will try to add these names at my tdnam account, red message "already listed" will appear
and procedure will stop there, so i will never have the names listed.

The correct procedure, as all marketplaces do, when someone is trying
to list names, is to try to verify ownership (txt is very good method) and if verified
names added at his account and removed from others.

TDNAM DOES NOT DO IT, just stopping the procedure.

@Joe Styler

Last edited:
•••
We do, we started using txt records last Thursday to verify domains. We have not made a big announcement yet as we are doing a couple things to make it more robust first that should be released very soon.

•••
•••
Yes I answered directly above you.

•••
Still when trying t ad names listed by others, red message and procedure stops though.

•••
If the domains are listed you and not allowing you to list them directly then you will need to write in to [email protected].

•••
@Joe Styler i know the procedure with support, if will do it eg for 2000 names need to hire 4-5 assistants.
Why, as all other marketplaces do, to not allow listing names already listed and after verification to put at the correct account.

•••
I think there is a misunderstanding somewhere here. I let you know above that I know this and we are implementing txt records to help address this.
We do override listings we know the owner of in some cases. In other cases we do not because it is possible you are also the owner listing for example through Afternic and that listing is fed through to our auctions and you verified that name with them as the owner but you use a different name for your Afternic account than your GoDaddy account. Say your company name is being used at one and your personal name is used at the other. We won't automatically delete a domain listed like this.
I can go on but I am traveling and need to cut this short.

•••
that's why i wrote about TXT record and no use of WHOIS.
Still can not understand why to no accept already listed names and make the verification after it.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back