Dynadot

Linux vs. Windows advice

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Hi everyone,
I have a problem deciding which one to buy. I need Linux for my Joomla sites, but soon I'll have Windows MCP, MCSE and MCSA certificates and it would be logical to use Windows server. Do you have any suggestion?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
But I'd have to install PHP/mySQL on Windows for Joomla :|

•••
Just go with linux. Just because you have windows certificates doesn't mean you have to use it ;)

•••
But I'd have to install PHP/mySQL on Windows for Joomla

Not that big a deal - you can run a WAMP (Windows-Apache-MySQL-PHP) environment if you wanted.

If you're going to run your own server AND your expertise is in managing Windows servers that's the better choice for you. Kind of a no brainer there - Linux is very different and windows certifications will do nothing towards helping you understand it.

Last edited:
•••
In my experience linux servers have two major advantages:
(1) stability
(2) much more efficient use of server resources (if well configured)

Item 2 means you can spend less on a server and get better performance. Given that you'll be running Joomla sites, get a Linux server or VPS and never look back :) and let me know if you need configuration tips.

•••
I prefer linux server, most of the open source applications support linux servers. Performance of php/rails is much better on linux server than on windows server.

Other than performance, i found that there are some good programs that are available on server for linux which are not on windows side.

•••
Joomla sites will work perfect on linux. No ned to pay more for windows hosting

•••
In my experience linux servers have two major advantages:
(1) stability
(2) much more efficient use of server resources (if well configured)

Item 2 means you can spend less on a server and get better performance. Given that you'll be running Joomla sites, get a Linux server or VPS and never look back :) and let me know if you need configuration tips.
But I've just got my windows certificates, what I am I going to burn them :)

•••
But I've just got my windows certificates, what I am I going to burn them :)

I think you will be able to use them for other projects. Joomla do not need windows hosting.
But you can do what ever you need. That will work on Joomla as well

•••
If you're feeling ambitious, why not do both? Windows servers and Linux servers both have their applications. I personally feel more comfortable in a Linux environment and it is the most common platform for web servers.

•••
If you're feeling ambitious, why not do both? Windows servers and Linux servers both have their applications. I personally feel more comfortable in a Linux environment and it is the most common platform for web servers.

What for? What is profit to keep 2 diffrent web hosting accounts for the same web site?

•••
In my opinion linux would be the way to go. Yes you may have gotten certifications for Windows Server but, linux is definitely more cost effective.

As for your certifications, why don't you put them to use working for a company that uses Windows servers? I personally feel Windows servers are much more common with running large and small business networks and such while Linux servers are much more common with hosting websites. Both platforms serve their purpose but when it comes down to web hosting, it is just more reasonable to go with linux.

•••
Gaining extra knowledge is never going to hurt. Having microsoft certificates does not mean you need to be working all the time on microsoft technologies. Take it as a learning experience and learn linux too. It will be beneficial to you in the long run as you will be able to handle both linux and microsoft technologies with ease.

The main benefit of linux is its very cheap and you get free applications for almost every purpose including firewall, antivirus etc. If you are trying to host your own websites, most probably you will recoup the amount you spent for certification within 2-3 years of linux hosting charges alone. And there are lesser headaches with linux servers.

•••
Unless you need to use ASP, I'd recommend using linux

•••
Unless you need to use ASP, I'd recommend using linux

I agree. Even more you have possibility to integrate ASP module into linux.
;)

•••
Linux hosting is much better than windows one.

•••
I would keep these separate. Using a Windows Optimized server for Linux sites is not great just like putting a Windows based applications in a server with Linux OS.

•••
I believe that OP already got an answer, but nowadays I'd recommend to any webmaster to use linux based hosting, the only choice of windows server could be because of asp.net, but it is not popular for website building.

•••
I will suggest that you should go with Linux. It is better than windows.

•••
it's actually simple... are you going to dev anything in a windows enviroment? if so go for windows, if not go for linux.
simple

•••
I'd recommend to use Linux, though you can split your budget, get cheap but reliable linux and windows plan too ;)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back