NameSilo

Limit.com/ Something not right

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
JBChappell was the owner of Limit.com apparently he had passed away several years back and this domain was just a page showing a 404?.The domain kept renewing every year so it did not drop.
I contacted the hosting company and they also tried to inquirer about this domain as it was not in use for years as well as I had and I also contacted some people involved in his site from the wayback archive.

Well lo and behold! All of a sudden there is a registration of Chappellbrown.com (new) this month which is private with Netsol and The contact email is changed from [email protected] to [email protected]
Why would Chappellbrown reg a domain in his name if he passed away?
He was a Math tech and his site was dedicated to match and science.

Now the landing page is Netsol parking page.
Very suspicious indeed.:|

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Since it sounds like the admin contact was an aol email address (likely free account), after no use for a set period of time, the email address likely became "available".

Since I tracked a domain that seemed fishy to me, I discovered what could be done to hijack a domain similar to what you are talking about via NetSol. Network Solutions Security Hole Allows Domain Hijack DotWeekly.com Domain Name Blog

This was likely the case.
Actually Aol accounts (email) Never become avail as per Aol.For security reasons.
The only thing I can think of is it was hacked or the email was changed via fax with forged docs

•••
New contact info.

Registrant:
Rahimov, Shavkat
Limit Dot Com Ltd
306 Victoria House
Mahe, Victoria na
SC

Domain Name: LIMIT.COM

Administrative Contact, Technical Contact:
Rahimov, Shavkat
Limit Dot Com Ltd
306 Victoria House
Mahe, Victoria na
SC
520-495-2246 fax: 520-495-2246

Record expires on 29-Mar-2015.
Record created on 28-Mar-1996.

From a private whois recently to this person.
All I can say is something is smellyD-:

•••
Last edited:
•••
No buyers would want this name if it is determined the seller is not legit. If someone google this domain, then he will find this np thread.

•••
If anyone knows how to find and contact the estate/family of the deceased Mr. Chappell, and let them know that he used to own Limit.com and that they should look into exactly how/why it has ended up with another owner... due to the value of this name, I would think his estate/family would be quite interested.

Also, if he owned this one nice name, it is very probable he owns/owned other nice names too, and they may want to look into any other names to find what state they are currently in. A lot of people - even friends and family of domainers - still don't quite 'get it' about the value of domains and it's an easy thing to overlook domain names in a deceased person's estate. A well-placed email from a canny domainer might get something rolling for the Chappells... if indeed something fishy is happening.

•••
If anyone knows how to find and contact the estate/family of the deceased Mr. Chappell

I think it's Chappell J Brown. His obituary etc online lists his survivors.

Sounded like a nice guy.

•••
•••
•••
This could be a fun thread. Thanks to OP for giving us something to do.

•••
Edited

Last edited:
•••
Very good work, gemstar....Great instincts...:)

•••
•••
current owner said : Im sorry but the domain is not for sale! It will be a tribute to the former owner.

Thank you.

•••
Last Update Date: 2010-10-06

•••
current owner said : Im sorry but the domain is not for sale! It will be a tribute to the former owner.

Thank you.

Hmmm... Possibly this person is on to this topic and just covering up now.
And its not logical that it would be on Sedo after years of being dormant>
As far as tribute? They have enough tribute already via other websites. With this type of big $$ item, most of the time these assets are sold and divided to people in the will or charity.

Last edited:
•••
accusing someone with out hard evidence will get you sued.

What gives the OP the right to post someones full address and name on a public forum accused of hijacking?

MODS?

Unless you got hard evidence you are violating his rights......

•••
It sounds fishy, but HOPE is %100 right, show some substantial evidence not just circumstantial evidence, this is not right, you can't launch serious accusations like the ones you are launching without any REAL evidence, other than "maybe", "wrong time, wrong place",etc.

To top it up someone posts the owner name, what would happen if this is not a scam the domain goes on sale and a prospective buyer finds this thread? Not right, not right. How do you like being accused of thieving in a public forum without any evidence? (other than maybe)

•••
Limit.com has STOLEN written all over it. Period.

•••
Limit.com has STOLEN written all over it. Period.

Maybe you are right and the OP has psychic ability.

This type of cheap lame investigation goes no where and should not be started before you got the facts right. This is a thread about how this and that and this and that has played out.

As a community we need to take the right steps before we start pointing fingers.

The OP or anyone has no right to post someones home address and name on public forum until we know 100% sure that person is a scammer.

•••
Er: Hope? You there? You can get that info on whois.. Did you know that?:wave:
And I said something is smelly. Nothing more

•••
The OP or anyone has no right to post someones home address and name on public forum until we know 100% sure that person is a scammer.

Follow my link above.

Koenig's ALL.COM domain name had been registered with domain name registrar Go Daddy, which I believe is headquartered in Arizona. However, in January 2008, an unknown person accessed and altered the registrant information for the ALL.COM domain name "through the use of some surreptitious means." By September 2008, the domain name had passed through several hands and was registered by a German domain name registrar to a Shavkat Rahimov, whose contact address was in the Seychelles.

•••
Follow my link above.

Koenig's ALL.COM domain name had been registered with domain name registrar Go Daddy, which I believe is headquartered in Arizona. However, in January 2008, an unknown person accessed and altered the registrant information for the ALL.COM domain name "through the use of some surreptitious means." By September 2008, the domain name had passed through several hands and was registered by a German domain name registrar to a Shavkat Rahimov, whose contact address was in the Seychelles.

BINGO!:lala::tu:

•••
Er: Hope? You there? You can get that info on whois.. Did you know that?:wave:
And I said something is smelly. Nothing more

I'm just saying your approach is wrong.

•••
•••
No worries buddy..Im only trying to help.
:wave:

Wonderful, as Domainers it is our duty to serve our community and protect it. But we have to be cautious with our methods, it could backlash!

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back