IT.COM

Limit.com/ Something not right

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
JBChappell was the owner of Limit.com apparently he had passed away several years back and this domain was just a page showing a 404?.The domain kept renewing every year so it did not drop.
I contacted the hosting company and they also tried to inquirer about this domain as it was not in use for years as well as I had and I also contacted some people involved in his site from the wayback archive.

Well lo and behold! All of a sudden there is a registration of Chappellbrown.com (new) this month which is private with Netsol and The contact email is changed from [email protected] to [email protected]
Why would Chappellbrown reg a domain in his name if he passed away?
He was a Math tech and his site was dedicated to match and science.

Now the landing page is Netsol parking page.
Very suspicious indeed.:|

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Maybe his estate was finally settled and a relative inherited it????

•••
Are you a stalker?

The guy was editory or a magazine. I'm sure he has friends and family. Perhaps they want to put up a memorial.

Why does it matter?

•••
Are you a stalker?

The guy was editory or a magazine. I'm sure he has friends and family. Perhaps they want to put up a memorial.

Why does it matter?

It does not seem right. Seems like it was transfered to a person impersonating him to get the domain. His domain name Chappellbrown.com is private? yet his domain limit is not contact still the same. Possibly im wrong but it is fishy

Last edited:
•••
Im pretty sure that was the case.
Name transfered to impersonator.Unless proven. Remember Sex.com?

•••
•••

Thanks for your info.:wave:

This is totaly a scam.Im almost certain.
I had followed this domain for 3 years and this is not on the up and up.

•••
Good catch, sounds odd to me as well. Would netsol change the email from a request from me@chappelbrown?? Or do you think the email account was hacked?

I guess we have this thread now just in case they try to flip it. Buyer beware!

•••
Whether this whois recent change is a scam (certainly looks to be) or not, the bigger question is who was renewing it all these years?

Ron

•••
Good catch, sounds odd to me as well. Would netsol change the email from a request from me@chappelbrown?? Or do you think the email account was hacked?

I suppose that is something where everything was started from.

•••

Or could Netsol be "renewing" this page, year after year?

Wouldn't be at all surprised.

•••
I have seen Netsol quietly repossessing valuable domain names that were not renewed. Never made it to the auctions.

•••

Or could Netsol be "renewing" this page, year after year?

Wouldn't be at all surprised.

No. The domain was auto renewed by chappells account.
The unauthorized page was always the same.
Year after year

•••
No. The domain was auto renewed by chappells account.
The unauthorized page was always the same.
Year after year

Maybe so, but I have heard rumblings that registries often renew domains in their dead client's names, just to keep the domains live and on the registrar books.

Illegal, but when has front-running Netsol operated within the law?

If the client hasn't renewed the name, then, chances are, the email used in the registrant field could be easily changed, the domain no longer be in control of the original client's family, but, in fact, in the registrar's control, no?

The ChappellBrown.com domain (email domain for limit.com) is a fresh reg, created on April 5, 2010 (NOT a drop or deletion).

Yeah, I'd say something hinky is going on.

•••
It's amazing what some of you people start investigating. You don't even own the domain name but you're so concerned with where it ends up. . .

•••
It's amazing what some of you people start investigating. You don't even own the domain name but you're so concerned with where it ends up. . .
Even if the owner is dead, the industry can't overlook a possible elaborate theft being underway.

•••

It's amazing how people like you can be in this business and not do your own investigation work when 1) looking out for possible scams that can hurt others and the business it's self if left over looked 2) Do you not do your own Due Diligence? I sure do when interested in something I am investing in. This is why it's important to do this so one wont be scammed or the scammer will be found out before he or she can do anything.
You seem so annoyed at this investigation.Would you be the one trying to hide something?:o

•••
•••
Sounds stolen.....

Chappell was a guy who had many friends and was not private as far as his friends had mentioned. All of a sudden after 14 years his name in .com is regged and it is private yet Limit.com was never private. His old address was the same for years on Whois. I called that phone listed on the Whois 2+ years ago he was not there.Obviously passed away as I did not yet know.
He always had the @aol.com contact info.

Hear are some links
Celebrating Chappell Brown on Yahoo! Video
EETimes.com - Chappell Brown, longtime EE Times editor, recalled as gentle, intelligent writer

•••
Not annoyed at all I'm more entertained then anything. The name is a possible 6 - 7 figure name so I don't see why think a scammer would bother with you. I'm sure he or she doesn't want "emovie.org".

You can be aware of the latest scams in the industry and make all the hype you want. Fact is, it probably wasn't a scam at all. Higher end names change hands often and seeing that he wasn't a loner in this world it isn't totally unbelievable. You might have been following this one name for a long time, but that doesn't mean you know who's in control in the background.

Having something to hide. You sound like some paranoid teenage. Thanks for the entertainment though. It was fun while it lasted.

Also what the are you talking about with "due diligence"? Investigation work for what? I"m not interested in purchasing it either; are you? Because I know for a fact you could never afford it.

.Jd.

It's amazing how people like you can be in this business and not do your own investigation work when 1) looking out for possible scams that can hurt others and the business it's self if left over looked 2) Do you not do your own Due Diligence? I sure do when interested in something I am investing in. This is why it's important to do this so one wont be scammed or the scammer will be found out before he or she can do anything.
You seem so annoyed at this investigation.Would you be the one trying to hide something?:o

•••
Sure Jd. Whatever. You know your stuff.:tu:

•••

I like a good mystery, and this case seems to qualify. Also, my hackles are raised when I sniff something rotten in Denmark. And this really stinks.

I have no interest in the domain itself, but I also know that Netsol doesn't have the cleanest rep out there.

More than that, if the domain has been stolen, whether by Netsol or a hacker, we should all be outraged and do what we can to help make a wrong right.

After all, Halvarez (remember him?) was unmasked because some domainers dared to question and to snoop around.

•••
is this really true?

I have seen Netsol quietly repossessing valuable domain names that were not renewed. Never made it to the auctions.

•••

I can tell you from experience that other registrars do the same thing. I contacted one registrar in regards to mobilizer.com because it was in redemption. The whois only listed contact info for the registrar so I asked them to contact the owner so I could propose an offer. The next thing I know...the email contact at the holding registrar owned the name. He said they had a right to any names being dropped by their clients. Needless to say I was extremely pissed off!

The owner at the time of my inquiry was Volvo.de...

Last edited:
•••
Since it sounds like the admin contact was an aol email address (likely free account), after no use for a set period of time, the email address likely became "available".

Since I tracked a domain that seemed fishy to me, I discovered what could be done to hijack a domain similar to what you are talking about via NetSol. Network Solutions Security Hole Allows Domain Hijack DotWeekly.com Domain Name Blog

This was likely the case.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back